Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 12-26-2016, 12:48 PM
GreatDane GreatDane is offline
A lonely dane
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 814
Default Explorer Auto-dim mirror wiring

Alright guys, so I have started working on my truck again.

Initially when I installed the OHC I never finished the auto-dim mirror part, as I am struggling with the wiring colors. On my old 4-banger the wiring color where as the usual diagrams / guides shows, but not this find.

Honestly, I cant remember the exact year the OHC + mirror come from, but the wire colors I have left are as follows (First color is main color):

Grey / black
White / purple
Red / black
Black / pink

Current the autodim mirror is not functioning so firstly I would the to just get the hot'n'run connected first and then do the actual auto headlamp feature.

I have searched numerous guides and diagrams, these color does NOT show up

Any help ?

----------

BTW - Its the newer style mirror that does not have the actual "Off" button but just the slider
__________________
1997 - 4.0 - Auto - 4x4 - Extended cab

1997 - 4 banger - 5-speed - 2WD - Extended cab
SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-27-2016, 10:51 AM
cowboybilly9mile cowboybilly9mile is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,900
Default Re: Explorer Auto-dim mirror wiring

Your 96+ autodim mirror with auto and delay off headlights will have five wires. They are as follows:

LT GR/YE --> +12V at all times
RD/YE --> +12V at start/run
BK/PK --> +12V in reverse
WH/VI (or, WH/PK) --> relay ground
BK --> ground

These colors are noted at the connector on the mirror itself. Moving on, I'll provide some info on how to wire it up; I'm not sure where you're at as far as this goes or your skill level, so take what you need from the following and ask if I leave something out.....

For autodim mirror operation, you need to connect the LT GR/YE, RD/YE (causes autodim to only function when vehicle is in KOEO or KOER), and BK. The BK/PK cancels the autodim when the vehicle is KOEO or KOER AND when it's in reverse. Not connecting this wire mean, no cancel of autodim. So there's the basic three wires to get the mirror up and running, and the fourth if you like it. FWIW, I wired up the BK/PK and between looking before backing up and having a backup cam, I've never derived benefit from the cancel in reverse feature.

The fifth wire is WH/VT and this is needed for the auto headlights. In a nutshell, what happens is the parking and the headlight circuits are each wired to the contacts of dedicated relays (ie, two relays) and the contacts of each relay circumvent the need for the light switch on the dash for enabling exterior lighting. A really great place to tap into the wiring and mount the relays (headlight relay will matter most) is close to the connector for the headlight switch. This is because, a short wire run and of the correct size minimizes voltage drop on the headlights when the autodim is operating. The relay coils themselves are wired with one side hot at all times and the other to the WH/VT wire. FWIW I used a 40A relay for the headlights and a 25A relay for the parking lights (visually, the one that's half the size of the 40) and for tapping into the wiring at the connector, each pin was extracted from the connector, adequate insulation removed, physical tap/connection securely made, soldered, then sealed and insulated with marine grade shrink pipe, and reinserted into the connector. The original wires where never cut (reliability). No store bought wire taps, ever and all soldered connections to ensure durable, reliable connections.

On the OHC, one way to ID the approx year is to look at the lens covering the display (*hopefully nobody changed it out). Blue = Y95-97 and green = Y98-01. Tell me what you've got and I'll ID the wiring for you. From what you've said, I can tell you is that the GY/BK is attached to the VSS circuit (probably circuit #679 on yours) and missing from your list is the LT GR/OR (probably circuit #705). The LT GR/OG is the battery saver circuit, timed at 30 minutes, and it runs the map lights on the OHC.

I'll stop for now. Pics possibly available depending on what you want to see.
__________________
2004 Ranger FX4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl

Proudly JAP/RICE free since March 2000
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-28-2016, 10:57 AM
GreatDane GreatDane is offline
A lonely dane
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 814
Default Re: Explorer Auto-dim mirror wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboybilly9mile View Post
Your 96+ autodim mirror with auto and delay off headlights will have five wires. They are as follows:

LT GR/YE --> +12V at all times
RD/YE --> +12V at start/run
BK/PK --> +12V in reverse
WH/VI (or, WH/PK) --> relay ground
BK --> ground

These colors are noted at the connector on the mirror itself. Moving on, I'll provide some info on how to wire it up; I'm not sure where you're at as far as this goes or your skill level, so take what you need from the following and ask if I leave something out.....

For autodim mirror operation, you need to connect the LT GR/YE, RD/YE (causes autodim to only function when vehicle is in KOEO or KOER), and BK. The BK/PK cancels the autodim when the vehicle is KOEO or KOER AND when it's in reverse. Not connecting this wire mean, no cancel of autodim. So there's the basic three wires to get the mirror up and running, and the fourth if you like it. FWIW, I wired up the BK/PK and between looking before backing up and having a backup cam, I've never derived benefit from the cancel in reverse feature.

The fifth wire is WH/VT and this is needed for the auto headlights. In a nutshell, what happens is the parking and the headlight circuits are each wired to the contacts of dedicated relays (ie, two relays) and the contacts of each relay circumvent the need for the light switch on the dash for enabling exterior lighting. A really great place to tap into the wiring and mount the relays (headlight relay will matter most) is close to the connector for the headlight switch. This is because, a short wire run and of the correct size minimizes voltage drop on the headlights when the autodim is operating. The relay coils themselves are wired with one side hot at all times and the other to the WH/VT wire. FWIW I used a 40A relay for the headlights and a 25A relay for the parking lights (visually, the one that's half the size of the 40) and for tapping into the wiring at the connector, each pin was extracted from the connector, adequate insulation removed, physical tap/connection securely made, soldered, then sealed and insulated with marine grade shrink pipe, and reinserted into the connector. The original wires where never cut (reliability). No store bought wire taps, ever and all soldered connections to ensure durable, reliable connections.

On the OHC, one way to ID the approx year is to look at the lens covering the display (*hopefully nobody changed it out). Blue = Y95-97 and green = Y98-01. Tell me what you've got and I'll ID the wiring for you. From what you've said, I can tell you is that the GY/BK is attached to the VSS circuit (probably circuit #679 on yours) and missing from your list is the LT GR/OR (probably circuit #705). The LT GR/OG is the battery saver circuit, timed at 30 minutes, and it runs the map lights on the OHC.

I'll stop for now. Pics possibly available depending on what you want to see.

Thanks for the post cowboy!

Let me post tomorrow. I got an extra lens with me so I have both the blue and green lens so I could swap the lens to match the LED's in the cluster / HVAC, so I can't tell which it originally came with!

Thing is Cowboy the wire colors I posted IS the actual colors coming from the mirror and does not match those you've posted

Let me drop an picture tomorrow!

Oh and all other OHC wires are already attached and set-up!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
1997 - 4.0 - Auto - 4x4 - Extended cab

1997 - 4 banger - 5-speed - 2WD - Extended cab
SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-29-2016, 03:29 AM
GreatDane GreatDane is offline
A lonely dane
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 814
Default Re: Explorer Auto-dim mirror wiring

Alright so I at the truck right now and below are the pictures coming of the mirror Cowboy





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
1997 - 4.0 - Auto - 4x4 - Extended cab

1997 - 4 banger - 5-speed - 2WD - Extended cab
SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-29-2016, 03:10 PM
cowboybilly9mile cowboybilly9mile is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,900
Default Re: Explorer Auto-dim mirror wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post
Let me post tomorrow. I got an extra lens with me so I have both the blue and green lens so I could swap the lens to match the LED's in the cluster / HVAC, so I can't tell which it originally came with!
Look for a Ford part number on it, one where the first two characters of the number start with an F5 or F8. Off the top of my head I don't remember how they numbered that part but I'll look around for a box containing an OHC and see what number Ford used, provided it wasn't a label that fell off long ago. Then again, it might be that with a little research the wire clors were unchanged from 95 through 01. Cross that (foot)bridge when/if the time comes.

I'm a bit confused over something you said; did you or did you not successfully wire your OHC?


Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post
Thing is Cowboy the wire colors I posted IS the actual colors coming from the mirror and does not match those you've posted
At the moment, I beg to differ because............

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post

Let me drop an picture tomorrow!
The color of the insulation on the wires in your pic, like a whole lot of those harnesses I've came across, are faded and/or changed from being in the sun. Look at your two pics and the red with yellow stripe (RD/YE) wire, the wire at the end of it and not the end with a vacant slot. See? Different color in each pic.

FWIW, the model number (P/N) for the autodim mirror used in the 96-01 Explorer is GNTX-156, as read from the back of the mirror.
__________________
2004 Ranger FX4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl

Proudly JAP/RICE free since March 2000
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-01-2017, 11:42 AM
GreatDane GreatDane is offline
A lonely dane
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 814
Default Re: Explorer Auto-dim mirror wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboybilly9mile View Post
Look for a Ford part number on it, one where the first two characters of the number start with an F5 or F8. Off the top of my head I don't remember how they numbered that part but I'll look around for a box containing an OHC and see what number Ford used, provided it wasn't a label that fell off long ago. Then again, it might be that with a little research the wire clors were unchanged from 95 through 01. Cross that (foot)bridge when/if the time comes.

I'm a bit confused over something you said; did you or did you not successfully wire your OHC?




At the moment, I beg to differ because............



The color of the insulation on the wires in your pic, like a whole lot of those harnesses I've came across, are faded and/or changed from being in the sun. Look at your two pics and the red with yellow stripe (RD/YE) wire, the wire at the end of it and not the end with a vacant slot. See? Different color in each pic.

FWIW, the model number (P/N) for the autodim mirror used in the 96-01 Explorer is GNTX-156, as read from the back of the mirror.
Cowboy, let me get back to you when I am at the truck within a few days!

I will note the P/N etc and take closeup's of the wire insulation further down the string where they would be seated in the A-pillar

And in regards to the OHC, it's already wired up and working - So its only the auto-dim mirror I got left
__________________
1997 - 4.0 - Auto - 4x4 - Extended cab

1997 - 4 banger - 5-speed - 2WD - Extended cab
SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-06-2017, 07:22 AM
GreatDane GreatDane is offline
A lonely dane
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 814
Default Re: Explorer Auto-dim mirror wiring

Have not forgot Cowboy, just haven't been at the truck all week.

It's at my parents since christmas because I need to check the VB and inspect the tranny fluid after the replacement tranny has been driven some 1500km now and I cant work at it at my place as I live in inner Copenhagen.

Hopefully im at it again on Sunday
__________________
1997 - 4.0 - Auto - 4x4 - Extended cab

1997 - 4 banger - 5-speed - 2WD - Extended cab
SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-06-2017, 10:44 AM
cowboybilly9mile cowboybilly9mile is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,900
Default Re: Explorer Auto-dim mirror wiring

Not a prob, and earlier I misunderstood you on the OHC so if that's working to your satisfaction might as well bail on any thoughts surrounding it for now. I've got three of those harnesses in my electrical parts collection; one is from a 97 and has OHC, auto dim mirror and lighted visors. The other two came from vehicles with OHC and lighted visors, but no mirror. Probably between that harness and schematics, the answer will be found. Plan on some of your current wires serving the OHC being used by the mirror. Keep me posted.
__________________
2004 Ranger FX4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl

Proudly JAP/RICE free since March 2000
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-09-2017, 02:33 PM
GreatDane GreatDane is offline
A lonely dane
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 814
Default Re: Explorer Auto-dim mirror wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboybilly9mile View Post
Not a prob, and earlier I misunderstood you on the OHC so if that's working to your satisfaction might as well bail on any thoughts surrounding it for now. I've got three of those harnesses in my electrical parts collection; one is from a 97 and has OHC, auto dim mirror and lighted visors. The other two came from vehicles with OHC and lighted visors, but no mirror. Probably between that harness and schematics, the answer will be found. Plan on some of your current wires serving the OHC being used by the mirror. Keep me posted.


Just saw your reply now! Was not at the truck this Sunday as I went to the in laws summerhouse with the mrs and or dogs!

Will keep you posted as soon as I am the truck!

Btw - this came from an OHC with lighted visors as well as I have the visor plugs in the harness. Planning on getting those as well - please look at the JY next time your are there


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
1997 - 4.0 - Auto - 4x4 - Extended cab

1997 - 4 banger - 5-speed - 2WD - Extended cab
SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-09-2017, 02:47 PM
cowboybilly9mile cowboybilly9mile is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,900
Default Re: Explorer Auto-dim mirror wiring

If you want the harness connectors to fit the connectors on the visors, be aware that there are two configs. Most of them are single wire but there is also a two wire configuration. The latter, so far as I've ever seen, is used with the visors equipped with Homelink and the voice recorder. Like I've got.

Too bad you didn't mention earlier that you are looking for visors; I tossed a few perfect sets in the garbage last fall and kept one Homelink visor for a spare. The dual Explorer visors are abundant; finding a set in mint condition is hit and miss. When you do find a set, you will probably want to go to the trouble of making a shim for each one that is used to snug up the spring so the visor won't flop around when you take a corner. The other thing to do is break out the dremmel and do a bit of trimming on the mount holes for the visor to cab. This, for a (near) perfect fit. This is also a great time to clean and apply Scotchguard, and finish them off with LED's.
__________________
2004 Ranger FX4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl

Proudly JAP/RICE free since March 2000

Last edited by cowboybilly9mile; 01-09-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-15-2017, 05:02 AM
GreatDane GreatDane is offline
A lonely dane
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 814
Default Re: Explorer Auto-dim mirror wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboybilly9mile View Post
If you want the harness connectors to fit the connectors on the visors, be aware that there are two configs. Most of them are single wire but there is also a two wire configuration. The latter, so far as I've ever seen, is used with the visors equipped with Homelink and the voice recorder. Like I've got.

Too bad you didn't mention earlier that you are looking for visors; I tossed a few perfect sets in the garbage last fall and kept one Homelink visor for a spare. The dual Explorer visors are abundant; finding a set in mint condition is hit and miss. When you do find a set, you will probably want to go to the trouble of making a shim for each one that is used to snug up the spring so the visor won't flop around when you take a corner. The other thing to do is break out the dremmel and do a bit of trimming on the mount holes for the visor to cab. This, for a (near) perfect fit. This is also a great time to clean and apply Scotchguard, and finish them off with LED's.


Alright - times fly's huh

So - I checked the mirror last night and it has the mentioned part number is it's from the 95-01 explorer. In regards to the OHC itself I could not find the part number.. Do I need to drop down the OHC itself to see the part number ?

What more do we need to correctly identify the year of my OHC and the supposed wire colors it should have.

Should I take a picture of the wire colors itself inside the OHC harness ?

I would indeed mod the visors with LED's should I find some


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
1997 - 4.0 - Auto - 4x4 - Extended cab

1997 - 4 banger - 5-speed - 2WD - Extended cab
SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-15-2017, 09:33 AM
cowboybilly9mile cowboybilly9mile is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,900
Default Re: Explorer Auto-dim mirror wiring

I thought you said your OHC was up and running somewhere in a past post; assuming so and assuming that is done (correct?), what exactly do you need? If it's mirror wiring, have you used a multimeter to identify which wires in the harness run to the connector for the mirror? This because and as I mentioned earlier, the coloring on the wires at the mirror connector fade over time. Also, if buggman doesn't have LED's for your visors, I can show you what I used. Plug-and-play.
__________________
2004 Ranger FX4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl

Proudly JAP/RICE free since March 2000
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-16-2017, 02:23 PM
GreatDane GreatDane is offline
A lonely dane
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 814
Default Re: Explorer Auto-dim mirror wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboybilly9mile View Post
I thought you said your OHC was up and running somewhere in a past post; assuming so and assuming that is done (correct?), what exactly do you need? If it's mirror wiring, have you used a multimeter to identify which wires in the harness run to the connector for the mirror? This because and as I mentioned earlier, the coloring on the wires at the mirror connector fade over time. Also, if buggman doesn't have LED's for your visors, I can show you what I used. Plug-and-play.


It is - but you said that it must be wired wrongly because of the wire colors I had left

The colors you posted, don't match mine - so.. something must be wrong

They don't seem faded though, but let me grab some better pictures then and maybe you can identify them - I am a bit color blind so I honestly can't say it my eyes thats wrong, but the picture won't lie


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
1997 - 4.0 - Auto - 4x4 - Extended cab

1997 - 4 banger - 5-speed - 2WD - Extended cab
SOLD
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Explorer auto dim mirror hendricksn Interior Parts 24 05-03-2015 06:20 AM
Auto dim mirror - wiring questions KCHahn Interior Tech 8 04-14-2013 12:23 AM
[SOLD] Explorer auto dim mirror Clinton Interior Parts 2 08-09-2011 04:55 PM
[SOLD] Explorer auto dim mirror Clinton Interior Parts 7 07-28-2011 06:12 PM
For Sale: Explorer Auto-Dim Mirror HoustonM Interior Parts 4 07-16-2011 02:45 PM