Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 09-09-2013, 12:53 PM
fishing_5 fishing_5 is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 36
Angry CV Axles

Just wondering what noise or symptoms is made when the CV Axles are going out?
Any help is appreciated.
I have a 2003 Ranger XLT 4.0L 4X4 with about 110K miles.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-09-2013, 01:26 PM
reconjb reconjb is offline
Found a Diesel
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 10,692
Default

They will usually click when turning and mine would occasionally click when in 4x4 going straight
__________________
Truck: 2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 4x4 ext cab
My Build Thread
Mod Ideas
Don't Forget to:
Create a Signature
Show your system

Mods: Brush guard|Front Hitch|Expo Roof Rack|Train Horn|Door/Dash/step/Hood Leds|2" lift|Rear Tow Points|On-Board Air System| 22" & 40" LED bar|and More!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-09-2013, 01:35 PM
RANGERS4LIFE RANGERS4LIFE is offline
The smartest man alive.
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconjb View Post
They will usually click when turning and mine would occasionally click when in 4x4 going straight
Or a hard thump.

Lol I thought this was your thread Jake. I was going to get you for not have done it yet.
__________________
97 ORIGINAL
4.0 XLT Reg Cab Manual on Manual Transfer
Best truck I've ever owned.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-09-2013, 02:53 PM
fishing_5 fishing_5 is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 36
Default Re: CV Axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERS4LIFE View Post
Or a hard thump.

Lol I thought this was your thread Jake. I was going to get you for not have done it yet.
well I can cross these two off my list, none of those sounds I'm having.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-09-2013, 03:02 PM
RANGERS4LIFE RANGERS4LIFE is offline
The smartest man alive.
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing_5 View Post

well I can cross these two off my list, none of those sounds I'm having.
Grinding is a wheel bearing.
__________________
97 ORIGINAL
4.0 XLT Reg Cab Manual on Manual Transfer
Best truck I've ever owned.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-09-2013, 05:14 PM
fishing_5 fishing_5 is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 36
Angry Re: CV Axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERS4LIFE View Post
Grinding is a wheel bearing.
well here's my situation sorry if this is long, but trying to be detailed as I can.

I currently have a howing/winding noise while the vehicle is in motion.
Back in December 2012 I had a local shop replaced my left wheel bearing, and both sides ball joints/control arms.

Last Saturday I had a friend whos a mechanic look at it and ended up being a bad wheel bearing on the right side, we replaced the wheel bearing with a new one from NAPA, SKF part #BR930452, heres a link for the part, http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1835546 a $262 part.

So I then took a test drive, and the winding/howling noise is still there. So I then went to another repair shop, one who knows more about mechanical stuff, then told me everything underneath is all good, bearings are good, ball joints/control arms are good but did recommend I needed to get an alignment and my tires balanced. The shop would have balenced/aligned but they dont do tire related things. So I then went to Big O Tires and told them I needed to a wheel balance and alignement, then came back and told me they balanced the tires but I did NOT need an alignment.

So after getting the wheels balanced I still hear the noise. What is going on? Any Ideas? Could the wheel bearing my friend and I replaced be a bad part? Could the left wheel bearing which was replaced in Dec 2012 going bad? Any Help????
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-09-2013, 07:01 PM
reconjb reconjb is offline
Found a Diesel
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 10,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing_5 View Post

well here's my situation sorry if this is long, but trying to be detailed as I can.

I currently have a howing/winding noise while the vehicle is in motion.
Back in December 2012 I had a local shop replaced my left wheel bearing, and both sides ball joints/control arms.

Last Saturday I had a friend whos a mechanic look at it and ended up being a bad wheel bearing on the right side, we replaced the wheel bearing with a new one from NAPA, SKF part #BR930452, heres a link for the part, http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1835546 a $262 part.

So I then took a test drive, and the winding/howling noise is still there. So I then went to another repair shop, one who knows more about mechanical stuff, then told me everything underneath is all good, bearings are good, ball joints/control arms are good but did recommend I needed to get an alignment and my tires balanced. The shop would have balenced/aligned but they dont do tire related things. So I then went to Big O Tires and told them I needed to a wheel balance and alignement, then came back and told me they balanced the tires but I did NOT need an alignment.

So after getting the wheels balanced I still hear the noise. What is going on? Any Ideas? Could the wheel bearing my friend and I replaced be a bad part? Could the left wheel bearing which was replaced in Dec 2012 going bad? Any Help????
Have they checked anything in the differential?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERS4LIFE View Post

Or a hard thump.

Lol I thought this was your thread Jake. I was going to get you for not have done it yet.
What replace cv's?
__________________
Truck: 2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 4x4 ext cab
My Build Thread
Mod Ideas
Don't Forget to:
Create a Signature
Show your system

Mods: Brush guard|Front Hitch|Expo Roof Rack|Train Horn|Door/Dash/step/Hood Leds|2" lift|Rear Tow Points|On-Board Air System| 22" & 40" LED bar|and More!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-09-2013, 07:03 PM
RANGERS4LIFE RANGERS4LIFE is offline
The smartest man alive.
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 599
Default

Yeah. You did it about three weeks ago right?
__________________
97 ORIGINAL
4.0 XLT Reg Cab Manual on Manual Transfer
Best truck I've ever owned.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-09-2013, 07:04 PM
reconjb reconjb is offline
Found a Diesel
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 10,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERS4LIFE View Post
Yeah. You did it about three weeks ago right?
Something like that
__________________
Truck: 2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 4x4 ext cab
My Build Thread
Mod Ideas
Don't Forget to:
Create a Signature
Show your system

Mods: Brush guard|Front Hitch|Expo Roof Rack|Train Horn|Door/Dash/step/Hood Leds|2" lift|Rear Tow Points|On-Board Air System| 22" & 40" LED bar|and More!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-09-2013, 07:11 PM
fishing_5 fishing_5 is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 36
Default Re: CV Axles

No I have not had anyone check the differential.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-01-2013, 07:24 AM
Matt A Matt A is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2
Default Re: CV Axles

im having a similiar issue...thought could be rear bearings, u-joints? 2004 xlt, 113k miles. feel the grinding mostly in the floorboards but can hear it a little.

side question...if the cv's go on a 4x4, is that not the end of the world as long as you don't need 4x4 to get home?

thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-01-2013, 07:38 AM
Logan03CO Logan03CO is offline
No wire hangers, ever!

 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,383
Default Re: CV Axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt A View Post
side question...if the cv's go on a 4x4, is that not the end of the world as long as you don't need 4x4 to get home?
2000.5 - Current 4WD Rangers = Live Axle:

The wheels always turns the CV shafts, differential and front driveshaft (2wd,4wd doesn't matter). The axle shaft is basically bolted to each hub so it's always 'locked' & turning.
__________________
Curent 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 owner - Build Thread for her: Logan's 2003 Mach 1

Former 2003 Ford Ranger owner - Build Thread for her: Project Budget Buster
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axles, bearing, howling, winding

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for new axles..... DangerRanger379 Wheels and Tires 11 02-05-2012 06:08 PM
Bronco axles 69maverick Solid Axle Swap 2 11-27-2011 01:06 PM
Are 91 and 94 axles the same? BlownFourOh Drivetrain Tech 2 11-11-2011 08:43 AM
axles Scott3483 Exterior Tech 3 12-31-2010 08:44 PM
99 cv axles Darren hill Drivetrain Tech 1 11-30-2010 07:58 PM