Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 07-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Lou 1 Lou 1 is offline
89 Ranger 2.9L 4x4 auto
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 286
Default question: transmission flushing

I was told recently that my transmission issue would be fixed by flushing it at a place that uses Wynn treatment and follow up additive because my 89 Ranger's transmission hesitates slightly when shifting only when the truck is cold, but not when it warms up--told the gov is sticking. My question is will putting my Ranger on one of those flush machines cause the seals etc to break down in any way. A mechanic friend said I shouldn't get an 89 flushed--others say sure it shouldn't hurt anything....your opinions on this would be appreciated. I've changed the filter and fluid 1x/yr--3 of the 4 years I've owned it...the difference in the flushing would be its all changed at once throughout the entire system and the additive in the flush is suppose to clean it and unstick the gov...
thanx Lou
__________________
89 4x4 Ranger ext cab, new rebuilt 2.9L 1998, leer cap, 6' bed, original tranny (auto), power windows/drs/seats, cruise control, 16 mpg LOL---sweet restoration project
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-01-2012, 12:37 PM
USTPC USTPC is offline
Novice DIY
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 53
Default Re: question: transmission flushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou 1 View Post
I was told recently that my transmission issue would be fixed by flushing it at a place that uses Wynn treatment and follow up additive because my 89 Ranger's transmission hesitates slightly when shifting only when the truck is cold, but not when it warms up--told the gov is sticking. My question is will putting my Ranger on one of those flush machines cause the seals etc to break down in any way. A mechanic friend said I shouldn't get an 89 flushed--others say sure it shouldn't hurt anything....your opinions on this would be appreciated. I've changed the filter and fluid 1x/yr--3 of the 4 years I've owned it...the difference in the flushing would be its all changed at once throughout the entire system and the additive in the flush is suppose to clean it and unstick the gov...
thanx Lou
Given I am a new DIY, take this for what it is worth. I had read the same thing your mechanic told you....that if your transmission was not flushed at the recommended mileages then you should not flush it. I decided that in spite of that recommendation/warning I would take the risk and went ahead and flushed mine. I may have just gotten lucky or problems may show up in the future, but so far no problems and the transmission is shifting smoother than it was before the flush. I did not use any additives or cleaners, just replaced the old fluid with the new fluid. I plan to do a flush every 30,000 miles for as long as I own the truck.
__________________
2001 Ford Ranger Edge, Stepside, Automatic, 4.0 SOHC, Torsion Bar Suspension, 2WD, Bright Island Blue Metallic Exterior, Grey Interior, 97,000 Miles, Axle Code 95
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Lou 1 Lou 1 is offline
89 Ranger 2.9L 4x4 auto
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 286
Default Re: question: transmission flushing

Thanx Harley, I appreciate your imput on this. I'm thinking I'm going to test my luck too...might end up being a gamble, but if it fixes the issue... It has such a slight hesitation shifting when I first start out that I hate to wait until its a real issue before I try and do something and then its too late.... I'll post an update on how it goes... thanx again
__________________
89 4x4 Ranger ext cab, new rebuilt 2.9L 1998, leer cap, 6' bed, original tranny (auto), power windows/drs/seats, cruise control, 16 mpg LOL---sweet restoration project
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-02-2012, 05:41 AM
USTPC USTPC is offline
Novice DIY
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 53
Default Re: question: transmission flushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou 1 View Post
Thanx Harley, I appreciate your imput on this. I'm thinking I'm going to test my luck too...might end up being a gamble, but if it fixes the issue... It has such a slight hesitation shifting when I first start out that I hate to wait until its a real issue before I try and do something and then its too late.... I'll post an update on how it goes... thanx again
There is definitely some risk involved because if it does cause your tranny to go out you are looking at $1000-$1500 to get a used/rebuilt one. The fact that you have dropped your pan and replaced 5 quarts and the filter 3 of the last 4 years may work in your favor. Question: Is there an additive on the market that you could add to your transmission fluid that might fix the hesitation problem without risking the flush? I do not know but that might be something you try first if there is. Just a thought. Good luck.
__________________
2001 Ford Ranger Edge, Stepside, Automatic, 4.0 SOHC, Torsion Bar Suspension, 2WD, Bright Island Blue Metallic Exterior, Grey Interior, 97,000 Miles, Axle Code 95
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-02-2012, 07:32 AM
Lou 1 Lou 1 is offline
89 Ranger 2.9L 4x4 auto
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 286
Default Re: question: transmission flushing

I was told by many mechanics to get Wynn put in it, but it seems Wynn only comes as an option with a flush??????????? Unless someone knows where I can get it otherwise??? They sell it by the case to garages that own their flush machines and to my knowledge do not sell it to private people (as far as I can see--and have been told by Wynn Co).... I've been told over and over its the best to fix this issue. I think it'll be hard to talk a garage into putting it in when they know they can also hang me with the price of a flush if they hold out on it.... It was flushed once before--not when I had it and it was years back not recent--its in the paperwork I got with the truck from pre-owner.
__________________
89 4x4 Ranger ext cab, new rebuilt 2.9L 1998, leer cap, 6' bed, original tranny (auto), power windows/drs/seats, cruise control, 16 mpg LOL---sweet restoration project
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-02-2012, 07:49 AM
99Rangerxlt 99Rangerxlt is offline
Cant kill a ranger
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 674
Default

Yeah, they sell it to the dealership I work at by the truck load. You may be able to buy one pack from the dealership? Who knows. I know that we have plenty of extras

Sent from my iPhone
__________________
99 xlt supercab xlt 4.0l ohv 4x4
mirror tint all around
2 piaa 580 lights and 2 220w dick cepek lights
100w pa system
2"front/1.5 rear lift
1 10" pioneer champion sub/ 1800w jl amp/ kenwood HU
31x10.5x15 Pegasus A/T
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-02-2012, 09:15 AM
ranger4.0 ranger4.0 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 581
Default

Lucas
__________________
HAD -93' xlt supercab, 5-speed, 4wd, k&n filter,cb, fog lights
HAD-2000 Ranger Xlt 3.slow V6 4wd K&N, gibson exhaust, cb, hid's, fog lights, backup lights, interior blue lights, kenwood sub & amp, push bar, t-bar crank, frf stickers, cab lights.
NOW-00' xlt reguglar cab, 5-speed, 2wd, coil springs, "rangeriee" as my girlfriend named it , red interior led lights, and much more planned for the future!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Lou 1 Lou 1 is offline
89 Ranger 2.9L 4x4 auto
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 286
Default Re: question: transmission flushing

Its scheduled for a flush on Friday....will keep my fingers crossed...and let you know how it goes...thanx for your imput.
__________________
89 4x4 Ranger ext cab, new rebuilt 2.9L 1998, leer cap, 6' bed, original tranny (auto), power windows/drs/seats, cruise control, 16 mpg LOL---sweet restoration project
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Lou 1 Lou 1 is offline
89 Ranger 2.9L 4x4 auto
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 286
Default Re: question: transmission flushing

Got the tranny in my ranger flushed--it does shift smoother! Down shifts perfectly on hills now (didn't before) and shifts better in general. Not perfect, but barely noticeable shifting now : )
__________________
89 4x4 Ranger ext cab, new rebuilt 2.9L 1998, leer cap, 6' bed, original tranny (auto), power windows/drs/seats, cruise control, 16 mpg LOL---sweet restoration project
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-08-2012, 11:21 AM
FireRanger FireRanger is offline
Blinded by the light
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,674
Send a message via AIM to FireRanger
Default Re: question: transmission flushing

"Don't flush the transmission if it is old", along with "don't use synthetic oil if the engine is old", and "don't go from synthetic to conventional oil" are rumors I've been hearing from various people since I got a driver's license 13 years ago. Someone heard it from someone who heard it from someone who heard it from a mechanic who heard it from another mechanic who heard it from his grandpa. Not surprisingly, nobody has ever produced a shred of actual professional evidence that this rumor has any validity.

Do people really think that the burned up fluid molecules are holding their little hands to keep mechanical parts from falling out of the bottom of the engine?? No. These fluids have a purpose. And when old and burned up, those fluids no longer carry out that job. Continuing to use that old beat fluid will simply ruin the engine or transmission more than it is already is.

Regardless of how old or disgusting it is, it needs to be flushed and replaced at reasonable intervals. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. Clearly, you've seen the light and realized how foolish that rumor was.
__________________
(Formerly)
FireRanger
2003 Edge 4.0 4wd

How to: Aux light wiring, relays, & fuses
Info: 300+ intake threads here on FRF
Info: HID Projectors
How To: NO HEAT Troubleshooting Guide
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-08-2012, 12:02 PM
USTPC USTPC is offline
Novice DIY
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 53
Default Re: question: transmission flushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou 1 View Post
Got the tranny in my ranger flushed--it does shift smoother! Down shifts perfectly on hills now (didn't before) and shifts better in general. Not perfect, but barely noticeable shifting now : )
Great news! And you may actually see the shifting improve as the new fluid penetrates tight areas. Just a thought.
__________________
2001 Ford Ranger Edge, Stepside, Automatic, 4.0 SOHC, Torsion Bar Suspension, 2WD, Bright Island Blue Metallic Exterior, Grey Interior, 97,000 Miles, Axle Code 95
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-08-2012, 12:10 PM
99Rangerxlt 99Rangerxlt is offline
Cant kill a ranger
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 674
Default

I work at a ford dealership and we use Wynn to flush trucks and cars from 91 to the new 2012 cars, it doesn't hurt anything. In fact, if you change your oil at regular intervals, the filters inside can last up to 100k (with normal driving of course). We prefer it over the normal drain and fill because it gets all the oil out, not just some from gravity

Sent from my iPhone
__________________
99 xlt supercab xlt 4.0l ohv 4x4
mirror tint all around
2 piaa 580 lights and 2 220w dick cepek lights
100w pa system
2"front/1.5 rear lift
1 10" pioneer champion sub/ 1800w jl amp/ kenwood HU
31x10.5x15 Pegasus A/T
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Lou 1 Lou 1 is offline
89 Ranger 2.9L 4x4 auto
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 286
Default Re: question: transmission flushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
"Don't flush the transmission if it is old", along with "don't use synthetic oil if the engine is old", and "don't go from synthetic to conventional oil" are rumors I've been hearing from various people since I got a driver's license 13 years ago. Someone heard it from someone who heard it from someone who heard it from a mechanic who heard it from another mechanic who heard it from his grandpa. Not surprisingly, nobody has ever produced a shred of actual professional evidence that this rumor has any validity.

Do people really think that the burned up fluid molecules are holding their little hands to keep mechanical parts from falling out of the bottom of the engine?? No. These fluids have a purpose. And when old and burned up, those fluids no longer carry out that job. Continuing to use that old beat fluid will simply ruin the engine or transmission more than it is already is.

Regardless of how old or disgusting it is, it needs to be flushed and replaced at reasonable intervals. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. Clearly, you've seen the light and realized how foolish that rumor was.
A mechanic friend of mine was very firmly making that argument and had me hesitating to have it done. He said the seals would break down along with other components of the tranny cause he'd seen it happen. I asked him if the tranny's flushed and then broken were already problematic and maybe they just got worse on there own regardless of the flush...the flush being there a last ditch effort to save a tranny too far gone? My truck had been flushed--granted it was like 10 years ago, but I told him it survived a flush 10 years ago and went on to function well....He tossed up his hands and walked away... Thanks for all you guys imput--glad I had it done : )

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Rangerxlt View Post
I work at a ford dealership and we use Wynn to flush trucks and cars from 91 to the new 2012 cars, it doesn't hurt anything. In fact, if you change your oil at regular intervals, the filters inside can last up to 100k (with normal driving of course). We prefer it over the normal drain and fill because it gets all the oil out, not just some from gravity

Sent from my iPhone
I would love to get some Wynn tranny treatment if anyone knows how I can get some. I'd pay for it and shipping if anyone has some they'd part with.... My tranny was flushed and treated with something other than Wynn--it was a product made by BP. I couldn't find anyone local using Wynn. I've heard great things about Wynn and would love to use it the next time I change the filter and fluid if I can get some.
__________________
89 4x4 Ranger ext cab, new rebuilt 2.9L 1998, leer cap, 6' bed, original tranny (auto), power windows/drs/seats, cruise control, 16 mpg LOL---sweet restoration project
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-09-2012, 11:47 AM
FireRanger FireRanger is offline
Blinded by the light
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,674
Send a message via AIM to FireRanger
Default Re: question: transmission flushing

Just dumping in some additive is not going to completely solve the issues of bad fluid. You need the machine that will pump new fluid in while pumping old fluid out. By design, you can't just drain it and refill it like the crankcase oil. Wynn makes the additives, the fluid, and the flushpump machine.
__________________
(Formerly)
FireRanger
2003 Edge 4.0 4wd

How to: Aux light wiring, relays, & fuses
Info: 300+ intake threads here on FRF
Info: HID Projectors
How To: NO HEAT Troubleshooting Guide
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-09-2012, 12:16 PM
99Rangerxlt 99Rangerxlt is offline
Cant kill a ranger
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger
Just dumping in some additive is not going to completely solve the issues of bad fluid. You need the machine that will pump new fluid in while pumping old fluid out. By design, you can't just drain it and refill it like the crankcase oil. Wynn makes the additives, the fluid, and the flushpump machine.
Yep they all work together. Dumping in just additive is a waste of money and time. We strongly reccomend you don't use the sealing stuff provided with the flush, we refuse to. After 5,000 miles, it starts to gel and gums up passage ways leading to a burned up tranny. Not wynns fault, just doesn't work on these trannys like it should

Sent from my iPhone
__________________
99 xlt supercab xlt 4.0l ohv 4x4
mirror tint all around
2 piaa 580 lights and 2 220w dick cepek lights
100w pa system
2"front/1.5 rear lift
1 10" pioneer champion sub/ 1800w jl amp/ kenwood HU
31x10.5x15 Pegasus A/T
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
flush, hesitation, transmission, wynn

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission Question rgrindle General Ford Ranger Discussion 1 12-06-2011 06:06 PM
help! flushing the fuel system ecriders General Tech 4 08-30-2011 03:53 PM
transmission question mmmaxwell 3.0 Vulcan Tech 0 08-16-2010 05:21 PM
Transmission question mcblckb Drivetrain Tech 4 07-15-2010 10:44 PM
Flushing the transmission FireRanger Drivetrain Tech 10 03-21-2010 11:10 PM