Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #31  
Old 07-09-2011, 05:59 AM
mcmike4817 mcmike4817 is offline
Pool Man
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12
Default Re: O/D Off Light Flash

The trans is a 5-automatic (5r55e). I have been watching closer to what happens when I'm driving it now. At first start it seems to shift just fine. Very shortly after that at about 35 mph the o/d off light starts flashing. Nothing seems to cause it. Sometimes on acceleration from a stop it doesn't seem to have much power. At 75 mph the engines running at 3500 rpms. After it's been running for awhile the shift between drive and 2nd is very abrupt and shifting into reverse there is about a 3 or 4 second lag. The only code the shop found was a PO735. When I take my foot off of the gas while driving the engine goes back to idling rpms.
__________________
Mike

Last edited by mcmike4817; 07-10-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-09-2011, 08:00 AM
Birchhatchery Birchhatchery is offline
Ford Pickup
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 120
Default Re: O/D Off Light Flash

my check engine lite is on and overdrive off comes on once and awhile and flases now sometimes it hard shifftin and still has that buckle either coming from the tranny or rear axel just before i stop this truck is a BAD ALMAN!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-14-2011, 06:39 AM
mcmike4817 mcmike4817 is offline
Pool Man
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12
Default Re: O/D Off Light Flash

I took my truck to a highly reccommended trans. shop in Lincoln Park and they ended up finding the same trans code (PO735), so the trans is being rebuilt as I write this. I'm very anxious to get it back and hoping that this is the end of repairs for a while.
__________________
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-16-2011, 09:21 AM
mcmike4817 mcmike4817 is offline
Pool Man
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12
Default Re: O/D Off Light Flash

I got the truck back and it's running like a champ. The Trans shop did a complete rebuild. The last time it was worked o was by a dealership. This trans shop owner said that it was very obvious that the dealership did a piece meal job of repair and did shoddy work. I'm really enjoying the truck now.
__________________
Mike

Last edited by mcmike4817; 07-16-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Fordzilla80 Fordzilla80 is offline
Welcome to FRF!
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,952
Default Re: O/D Off Light Flash

That's good to hear McMike!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-27-2011, 07:52 PM
peashooter peashooter is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1
Default Re: O/D Off Light Flash

Im going to remove the pan and valve body to do a gasket change
but would like to test the selanoid but need the resistance and which one is which on a tranny for a 1998 ranger w/4.0

Yes flashing od off light shifts with a lag or need to let off the gas to shift. but even with the light od off flashing od is still engauged
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Fordzilla80 Fordzilla80 is offline
Welcome to FRF!
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,952
Default Re: O/D Off Light Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by peashooter View Post
Im going to remove the pan and valve body to do a gasket change
but would like to test the selanoid but need the resistance and which one is which on a tranny for a 1998 ranger w/4.0

Yes flashing od off light shifts with a lag or need to let off the gas to shift. but even with the light od off flashing od is still engauged
I'm assuming you have the 5R55E, here is the solenoid arrangement. SSA is Shift Solenoid 1, SSB is Shift Solenoid 2, etc. TCC is the Torque Converter Clutch solenoid. EPC is the Electronic Pressure Control solenoid.




Picture from explorerforum.com
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-06-2011, 04:31 AM
bfelix bfelix is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
Default Re: O/D Off Light Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcat View Post
I had a flashing OD light on my 04. My code reader wouldn't read the code so I just payed attention to what was happening with the trans. When I first started the truck the light was off. After hitting about 50 it would come on and I noticed I had no od and no engine braking when it should be in od. I thought maybe a solinoid was bad so I dropped the pan and ohm'ed them out, all checked out ok. After reading my manual and looking at possible causes I figured my OD band was broken or worn out. To my suprise adjusting the od band fixed it. It's been doing good but I have noticed it does come on sometimes if I leave the truck set for a few days. If I drive the truck daily it doesn't come on. I think my problem is due to neglect. The previous owner didn't do filter and fluid changes and the truck has 157,000 miles. I think it will be ok after I drive it enough for the new fluid to "clean" the trans components and valves. I plan on changing the fluid again after I get about 1000 miles on it. All the other gears have always worked normally.
Hi- I'm new here, but having exactly the same issue as WVcat. ~50mph, O/D light flashing,
no O/D, no engine braking. I was able to pull a code P0743. Can you provide some info on adjusting the O/D band? Do I need to completely drop the transmission for that?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-23-2011, 03:04 PM
erasmussen erasmussen is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10
Default Re: O/D Off Light Flash

I'm in the same boat as bfelix. A PO743 code, a flashing O/D light that occurs @ about 50 mph. Will the valve body gasket and separator plate procedure as stated elsewhere take care of the problem?

Additionally, when the truck is at idle and in park, everything sounds good. But, when shifted into gear, either drive or reverse, there is a disturbing, continuous whir, whir, whir sound. As if you can hear the torque converter spin, but it is not spinning true and slightly out of balance. And it has become worse with time. It is only a weekend driver, but I fear venturing far from the house or the highway.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe TC clutch?

Last edited by erasmussen; 08-24-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Fordzilla80 Fordzilla80 is offline
Welcome to FRF!
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,952
Default Re: O/D Off Light Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfelix View Post
Hi- I'm new here, but having exactly the same issue as WVcat. ~50mph, O/D light flashing,
no O/D, no engine braking. I was able to pull a code P0743. Can you provide some info on adjusting the O/D band? Do I need to completely drop the transmission for that?
http://engine-codes.com/p0743.html

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasmussen View Post
I'm in the same boat as bfelix. A PO743 code, a flashing O/D light that occurs @ about 50 mph. Will the valve body gasket and separator plate procedure as stated elsewhere take care of the problem?

Additionally, when the truck is at idle and in park, everything sounds good. But, when shifted into gear, either drive or reverse, there is a disturbing, continuous whir, whir, whir sound. As if you can hear the torque converter spin, but it is not spinning true and slightly out of balance. And it has become worse with time. It is only a weekend driver, but I fear venturing far from the house or the highway.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe TC clutch?
Click link above and read the code description. This may be easy, or it may be hard.

----------

*ATTN. If nobody has replied to your post within two days, feel free to send me a message to alert me of your post and I will respond as soon as possible to try and get you all squared away.*
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 09-06-2011, 06:58 AM
erasmussen erasmussen is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10
Default Re: O/D Off Light Flash

Thanks for the reply. Prior to reading the earlier posts, I had no idea what a TCC was, or it even existed. I suspected the TC, and was ready to go out and buy one - or even a whole new tranny.

But, I'll give this a try first. Any leads on the TCC diagnostic and replacement/repair procedure?

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-06-2011, 03:35 PM
wvcat wvcat is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 836
Default Re: O/D Off Light Flash

I am still having issues with mine. At first I thought I was just having OD problems but I was also having problems with the torque converter. Here's what I have found. I have the 5r55e trans. I have had the valve body out twice. When I first posted I had adjusted my od band and it helped to the point that I could get it to go into overdrive but I had to watch the rpms and speed and at the right time(over 40mph)let off the gas and after a few tries it would go in and stay in until I slowed down. I didn't realize that it was actually doing 2 things. Locking the TC and going into OD. When I pulled the valve body I thought I would find a bad gasket but it was ok, There was some brass shavings on top of it. I cleaned everything up and put it back together and discovered that I have the extra gear but it still wont go into OD unless I let up on the gas. I pulled the valve body the second time but it didn't change anything. Anyway I think the brass shavings(wherever they cam from) caused my problem. I don't want to pull the trans yet and still think it's fixable because the od works or I wouldn't have 2nd gear. It does seem to be working better the more I drive it. It shifts great now from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, I just have to let up on the gas before od will go in.
__________________
22 and counting...

Last edited by wvcat; 09-06-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Fordzilla80 Fordzilla80 is offline
Welcome to FRF!
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,952
Default Re: O/D Off Light Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasmussen View Post
Thanks for the reply. Prior to reading the earlier posts, I had no idea what a TCC was, or it even existed. I suspected the TC, and was ready to go out and buy one - or even a whole new tranny.

But, I'll give this a try first. Any leads on the TCC diagnostic and replacement/repair procedure?

Thanks again.
You can ohm out the TCC solenoid to see whether or not is in spec. I apologize though because I use to have the specs memorized, but now I seem to have lost them. I'm still waiting on my rebuild manual to come in.

As for replacing the solenoid, it's pretty simple. Drop the pan and drain the fluid, drop the filter and open it up to inspect the filter element for any debris, Locate and unplug the TCC solenoid connector, check the connector and wire for any issues, remove the bracket that holds the solenoid, carefully dismount the solenoid from it's position making sure to watch for anything that may come out of the bore. Installation is the reverse of removal. I may have forgot a step or two, but that's the gist of it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcat View Post
I am still having issues with mine. At first I thought I was just having OD problems but I was also having problems with the torque converter. Here's what I have found. I have the 5r55e trans. I have had the valve body out twice. When I first posted I had adjusted my od band and it helped to the point that I could get it to go into overdrive but I had to watch the rpms and speed and at the right time(over 40mph)let off the gas and after a few tries it would go in and stay in until I slowed down. I didn't realize that it was actually doing 2 things. Locking the TC and going into OD. When I pulled the valve body I thought I would find a bad gasket but it was ok, There was some brass shavings on top of it. I cleaned everything up and put it back together and discovered that I have the extra gear but it still wont go into OD unless I let up on the gas. I pulled the valve body the second time but it didn't change anything. Anyway I think the brass shavings(wherever they cam from) caused my problem. I don't want to pull the trans yet and still think it's fixable because the od works or I wouldn't have 2nd gear. It does seem to be working better the more I drive it. It shifts great now from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, I just have to let up on the gas before od will go in.
Hmmm, you may need to dig into your trans to figure out the issue. About how many shavings did you find? A few shavings are normal. 30, is not normal.lol.

I still have yet to pull the filter in my truck and inspect it for debris and pull the Valve body to check for gasket and separator plate issues. My truck shifts great when cold, but gets worse as it warms up. No O/D Off light or anything similar. The only thing I can think of that would not throw a code and make the trans shift fine when cold and worse when hot is a gasket that is expanding as it gets warmer and exposing the blow out.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-06-2011, 08:44 PM
wvcat wvcat is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 836
Default Re: O/D Off Light Flash

Mine also shifts better when cold, maybe a filter and new fluid would fix yours. Wouldn't hurt to adjust the bands.
I just saw 3or4 little pieces of brass but one was kinda bigger than I would expect to see.
__________________
22 and counting...
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Fordzilla80 Fordzilla80 is offline
Welcome to FRF!
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,952
Default Re: O/D Off Light Flash

Bumpity back to the top.

On a side note, after battling with my 5R55E for close to a year, I finally fixed all the problems I've had with it.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/vehic...ike-chevy.html

Last edited by Fordzilla80; 09-28-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to Buy: Borrow Flash Tuner -$50 VegasRanger02 Interior Parts 0 02-19-2011 09:15 AM
Want to Buy: LED Flash Light DrIftKi7Vg Misc Items 8 12-30-2010 06:17 AM
Reverse Lights Flash 94GT50 Electrical Tech 5 03-15-2010 04:32 AM
96 4wd lights flash dilligaftrucks Electrical Tech 3 11-21-2009 09:48 AM
97 Ford Ranger, Battery Light Flash? Timbo General Ford Ranger Discussion 3 12-25-2008 05:24 PM