Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:40 PM
mazdab2300 mazdab2300 is offline
Totally bummed
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,106
Default rear differential mod?

is there any way to make an open rear axle into a solid rear axle?


ive heard of people welding something together in the rear differential but i am not sure if this is even possible.

please help!!
__________________
94 Mazda B2300
jvc head unit scosh hds and xplod speakers also have 2 12 inch subs in the back.
american racing directionals on 30/9.5/15s

INDIANA RANGERS
MAZDAS
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:41 PM
DiabloBlanco DiabloBlanco is offline
Get Lifted.
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,402
Default Re: rear differential mod?

Its possible. My buddy welded his. and now it shakes and scrapes when he turns haha
__________________
YZ the way to be!
The Brotherhood!

Mods to come: Camburg entry 6.0 system. FiberwerkX Fenders and bedsides. Tube bumper.
R.I.P. Jeff Ashton. 1992-2011
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:44 PM
01_ranger_4x4 01_ranger_4x4 is offline
OIF Veteran

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,043
Default Re: rear differential mod?

yeah you can weld your spider gears essentially making a spool. if you drive the truck on the road i dont suggest doing that though. not only will it steer and turn horribly but you will risk snapping axle shafts.
__________________
2001 Ranger 4x4 Stepside
-RCD Suspension lift
-33x12.5 BFG KM2's on Mickey Thomson classic locks
-4:56 gears
-Auburn gear LS
-James Duff traction bars
-Headers
-Flowmaster duals
-SCT X-Cal2 and some small exterior mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2321189

2005 F-150 Lariat 4x4
-LED third brake light
-Weathertech floor liners
-Edge tuner
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:45 PM
mazdab2300 mazdab2300 is offline
Totally bummed
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,106
Default Re: rear differential mod?

is that his rear axkle? y does it do that?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01_ranger_4x4 View Post
yeah you can weld your spider gears essentially making a spool. if you drive the truck on the road i dont suggest doing that though. not only will it steer and turn horribly but you will risk snapping axle shafts.
do you know of any other way that has less of a risk of breaking everything
__________________
94 Mazda B2300
jvc head unit scosh hds and xplod speakers also have 2 12 inch subs in the back.
american racing directionals on 30/9.5/15s

INDIANA RANGERS
MAZDAS
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:51 PM
01_ranger_4x4 01_ranger_4x4 is offline
OIF Veteran

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,043
Default Re: rear differential mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdab2300 View Post
do you know of any other way that has less of a risk of breaking everything
a selectable locker. the differential is there for a reason, when you make a turn the wheel on the inside of the turn will rotate slower then the outside and the differential allows for thats difference in speed between the two wheels. if you weld the diff it will no longer do that so the inner and outer wheel will both try and go the same speed meaning the inside tire will hop and chirp, if that tire gets just enough traction it will just snap the axle shaft. a selectable locker will lock the axle only when you want it (offroad, snow ect) and then you can unlock it on the road so you can drive normal. they arent cheap though.

Edit: you could look into a luchbox locker like a lock-rite. its an auto locker that sits in your stock diff housing and are probably the cheapest option in lockers.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/lock-right-locker.htm
__________________
2001 Ranger 4x4 Stepside
-RCD Suspension lift
-33x12.5 BFG KM2's on Mickey Thomson classic locks
-4:56 gears
-Auburn gear LS
-James Duff traction bars
-Headers
-Flowmaster duals
-SCT X-Cal2 and some small exterior mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2321189

2005 F-150 Lariat 4x4
-LED third brake light
-Weathertech floor liners
-Edge tuner

Last edited by 01_ranger_4x4; 01-02-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Fordzilla80 Fordzilla80 is offline
Welcome to FRF!
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,952
Default Re: rear differential mod?

A great demonstration of what happens when you weld your spider gears is to visit the local roundy round track. Wait for a spin out, and then watch for the car(s) to re-enter the track. When they do, if the spider gears are welded on any of the cars, chances are you'll see one of the wheels hopping up and down during a sudden turn.

Don't weld your spider gears on a street vehicle. If the welds break, damage will ensue.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-02-2011, 04:02 PM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: rear differential mod?

Go find an Exploder or Ranger rear end with the limited slip 8.8 inch. Well worth the investment, the Exploder if you get the right year you can get disks factory too in some years.
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-02-2011, 04:05 PM
mazdab2300 mazdab2300 is offline
Totally bummed
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,106
Default Re: rear differential mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01_ranger_4x4 View Post
a selectable locker. the differential is there for a reason, when you make a turn the wheel on the inside of the turn will rotate slower then the outside and the differential allows for thats difference in speed between the two wheels. if you weld the diff it will no longer do that so the inner and outer wheel will both try and go the same speed meaning the inside tire will hop and chirp, if that tire gets just enough traction it will just snap the axle shaft. a selectable locker will lock the axle only when you want it (offroad, snow ect) and then you can unlock it on the road so you can drive normal. they arent cheap though.

Edit: you could look into a luchbox locker like a lock-rite. its an auto locker that sits in your stock diff housing and are probably the cheapest option in lockers.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/lock-right-locker.htm

i am not just wanting a solid axle for off roading although it will help. i am wanting to make both wheels spin when i hit ice or something instead of just one. it will give be more traction and less of a chance to get stuck.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddhoward View Post
Go find an Exploder or Ranger rear end with the limited slip 8.8 inch. Well worth the investment, the Exploder if you get the right year you can get disks factory too in some years.
that is a great idea but i am trying to find a way to make mine a solid axle without having to shell out the money. if i cant find anything i willl try and get one though
__________________
94 Mazda B2300
jvc head unit scosh hds and xplod speakers also have 2 12 inch subs in the back.
american racing directionals on 30/9.5/15s

INDIANA RANGERS
MAZDAS
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-02-2011, 04:18 PM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: rear differential mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdab2300 View Post
i am not just wanting a solid axle for off roading although it will help. i am wanting to make both wheels spin when i hit ice or something instead of just one. it will give be more traction and less of a chance to get stuck.

----------



that is a great idea but i am trying to find a way to make mine a solid axle without having to shell out the money. if i cant find anything i willl try and get one though
Trust me welding your spiders is cheap, but then you make the rear more fragile for every day driving, it's fine on dirt rigs because dirt allows some slip. Really finding a selectable locker or a Limited Slip rear is the only way that you are going to get it done right and reliable for a long time to come. You gotta pay to play brosky.
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-02-2011, 04:29 PM
mazdab2300 mazdab2300 is offline
Totally bummed
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,106
Default Re: rear differential mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddhoward View Post
Trust me welding your spiders is cheap, but then you make the rear more fragile for every day driving, it's fine on dirt rigs because dirt allows some slip. Really finding a selectable locker or a Limited Slip rear is the only way that you are going to get it done right and reliable for a long time to come. You gotta pay to play brosky.

i know youve gotta pay to play. how much does a used solid or limited slip rearend run for an exploder or ranger?
__________________
94 Mazda B2300
jvc head unit scosh hds and xplod speakers also have 2 12 inch subs in the back.
american racing directionals on 30/9.5/15s

INDIANA RANGERS
MAZDAS
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-02-2011, 05:07 PM
tmbrockett tmbrockett is offline
Shaggy McNasty
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 322
Default Re: rear differential mod?

^^ how hard is it to install a new rear end from an expo? mine is an open 8.8 but i want and L/S 8.8
__________________
2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Bone Stock 4.0 Liter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
Cool..I must warn you, Last time I heard the word contracted, it burned when I went pee
http://500px.com/tmbrockett
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-02-2011, 07:37 PM
bigcountry bigcountry is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 264
Default Re: rear differential mod?

if you weld you will pay in the long run i have a friend that welded the rear in his jeep about a month after i was flowing him to the local mud hole and i heard a loud boom and clank he broke his weld and after that happend he fraged his entire rear end gears and all the rest of the day was spent finding,buying,and replaceing his rear axle. its not worth it i promise just do what the other guys have said and go get you a LS 8.8 best and prolly the cheapest way to do it
__________________
Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
General Geroge S Patton
2007 3.0
automatic trans, 4.10s with L/S
ported and polished TB
4brand new speakers with inslation in doors
smoked tail lights
20%tint on driver and passenger windows
5% tint on back window
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-02-2011, 07:39 PM
mazdab2300 mazdab2300 is offline
Totally bummed
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,106
Default Re: rear differential mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountry View Post
if you weld you will pay in the long run i have a friend that welded the rear in his jeep about a month after i was flowing him to the local mud hole and i heard a loud boom and clank he broke his weld and after that happend he fraged his entire rear end gears and all the rest of the day was spent finding,buying,and replaceing his rear axle. its not worth it i promise just do what the other guys have said and go get you a LS 8.8 best and prolly the cheapest way to do it
i dont want a limited slip i want a solid axle. i want to be able to slide around and it not start stutering in the rear
__________________
94 Mazda B2300
jvc head unit scosh hds and xplod speakers also have 2 12 inch subs in the back.
american racing directionals on 30/9.5/15s

INDIANA RANGERS
MAZDAS
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-02-2011, 07:59 PM
FX4 Mike FX4 Mike is offline
Ford Motor Co
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 154
Default Re: rear differential mod?

well factory L/S is a 2:1 bias for trac lock, and 2.2:1 for torsen... with trac lock you can get a kit and get it to 3:1 which is considered a bit much for street use...

a e-locker will give you the best of both worlds though... or you can just buy a spool and make a lot of noise lol
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-02-2011, 08:00 PM
mazdab2300 mazdab2300 is offline
Totally bummed
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,106
Default Re: rear differential mod?

i have no idea what all the numbers mean
__________________
94 Mazda B2300
jvc head unit scosh hds and xplod speakers also have 2 12 inch subs in the back.
american racing directionals on 30/9.5/15s

INDIANA RANGERS
MAZDAS
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Differential Cover? dixie_boysles General Ford Ranger Discussion 17 11-29-2010 09:15 PM
rear differential moved over help?? ec_dago_ryder Drivetrain Tech 6 11-27-2010 11:11 PM
What type of rear differential do i have 00RedRangerXLT General Ford Ranger Discussion 9 09-29-2010 08:25 AM
rear differential torque jlc19275 Drivetrain Tech 4 09-23-2010 05:30 PM
Want to Buy: Rear differential cover CMALI Engine & Drivetrain Parts 7 09-21-2009 09:59 AM