Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 08-23-2018, 01:50 PM
Ugxibowden Ugxibowden is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 42
Default Transmission acting funny

Iíve a 2002 ford ranger edge 3.0, automatic, 4x4

The other day I was driving and it would not let me go over 30mph 3000rpm it would shake and buck if I tried to gain speed,

This stopped after I stopped and put it in park then back to drive. Now I have a vibration in the front and in the steering wheel when driving around 40 if I put my food down and it shifts gear it goes away.

Iíd appreciate if anyone has any knowledge/ experience as to why this may be happened

Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-23-2018, 05:43 PM
Ranger_Lui Ranger_Lui is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 63
Default Re: Transmission acting funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugxibowden View Post
Iíve a 2002 ford ranger edge 3.0, automatic, 4x4

The other day I was driving and it would not let me go over 30mph 3000rpm it would shake and buck if I tried to gain speed,

This stopped after I stopped and put it in park then back to drive. Now I have a vibration in the front and in the steering wheel when driving around 40 if I put my food down and it shifts gear it goes away.

Iíd appreciate if anyone has any knowledge/ experience as to why this may be happened

Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Do you have a check for engine light on? It might be a misfire. When I first bought my truck, it would shake super BAD at 30+mph. And it ended up being a misfire on cylinder 3. If no check engine light, pull out your spark plugs and check them for any oil on the tip, that would cause a misfire incase your computer hasnt sensed it yet. I honestly donít think itís your transmission.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-23-2018, 06:14 PM
Ugxibowden Ugxibowden is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 42
Default Re: Transmission acting funny

I shall look tomorrow and let you know what I find.

I do not have a check engine light on there is also no codes pending when I plugged my reader in. She only wouldnít go over 3000 rpm once she still gets moving no problem now.

What did you do to fix your misfire?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-24-2018, 09:41 AM
Ugxibowden Ugxibowden is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 42
Default Re: Transmission acting funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_Lui View Post
Do you have a check for engine light on? It might be a misfire. When I first bought my truck, it would shake super BAD at 30+mph. And it ended up being a misfire on cylinder 3. If no check engine light, pull out your spark plugs and check them for any oil on the tip, that would cause a misfire incase your computer hasnt sensed it yet. I honestly donít think itís your transmission.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I checked plugs and all are fine. She drives good all the time but only shakes at 40-45 mph anything under or over them speeds once it changes gears she runs perfect


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-24-2018, 10:12 AM
djfllmn djfllmn is offline
ford dealer parts guy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 20,888
Send a message via AIM to djfllmn
Default Re: Transmission acting funny

40-45 is right where the torque converter likes to go into lockup, if the clutch material is worn or damaged, or if there is a bad solenoid that can cause a pretty wicked shudder. BUT engine misfires can also disguise themselves as a transmission concern
__________________
18 F150 Supercab XLT 2.7
1968 Thunderbird
Past: 16 F150 5.0, 14 F150 5.0, 07 F150 5.4, 03 Ranger 4.0

Master Certified Ford Parts / Warranty Admin
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-25-2018, 09:48 AM
Ranger_Lui Ranger_Lui is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 63
Default Re: Transmission acting funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugxibowden View Post
I shall look tomorrow and let you know what I find.

I do not have a check engine light on there is also no codes pending when I plugged my reader in. She only wouldnít go over 3000 rpm once she still gets moving no problem now.

What did you do to fix your misfire?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


To fix my misfire the mechanics cleaned my fuel injectors, it helped for a while, then it came back, but I replaced my spark plugs after it came back and I saw oil on the tip of cylinder 3 spark plug so Iím thinking doing one and not the other made it come back but doing the spark plugs finished it off Iím assuming. Iíve driven it 10k miles since and no misfire!! So maybe have your fuel injectors cleaned? I cant remember how much it cost or if you can do it yourself, I was in school AND work at the time so I didnt have time to do it myself.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-26-2018, 03:12 AM
Ugxibowden Ugxibowden is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 42
Default Re: Transmission acting funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_Lui View Post
To fix my misfire the mechanics cleaned my fuel injectors, it helped for a while, then it came back, but I replaced my spark plugs after it came back and I saw oil on the tip of cylinder 3 spark plug so Iím thinking doing one and not the other made it come back but doing the spark plugs finished it off Iím assuming. Iíve driven it 10k miles since and no misfire!! So maybe have your fuel injectors cleaned? I cant remember how much it cost or if you can do it yourself, I was in school AND work at the time so I didnt have time to do it myself.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


My plugs are new only have 1k on them so yeah I might see about cleaning my injectors


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-26-2018, 11:22 AM
Ranger_Lui Ranger_Lui is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 63
Default Re: Transmission acting funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugxibowden View Post
My plugs are new only have 1k on them so yeah I might see about cleaning my injectors


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Yeah I remember replacing my spark plugs, spark plug wires, and the box the spark plug wires lead to. I forgot what itís called damn it lol but after having my injectors cleaned, it helped a lot to do my spark plugs after


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-26-2018, 11:25 AM
Ugxibowden Ugxibowden is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 42
Default Re: Transmission acting funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_Lui View Post
Yeah I remember replacing my spark plugs, spark plug wires, and the box the spark plug wires lead to. I forgot what itís called damn it lol but after having my injectors cleaned, it helped a lot to do my spark plugs after


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Coil pack.

Iím just throwing some stp injector cleaner in my fuel then if that doesnít work will take them out and do them the good old fashioned way


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-28-2018, 07:45 PM
Ranger_Lui Ranger_Lui is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 63
Default Re: Transmission acting funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugxibowden View Post
Coil pack.

Iím just throwing some stp injector cleaner in my fuel then if that doesnít work will take them out and do them the good old fashioned way


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Good idea, if youíre going to do that, use some SEAFOAM instead. Iíve heard of some miracle stories haha but buy it at walmart or fredmeyers, not an auto parts place. 11 something at autozone compared to 8 at Walmart here in Oregon


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5 speed transmission acting up Brad95 3.0 Vulcan Tech 7 12-20-2016 11:44 AM
Transmission acting up, help please! Jarred55 Drivetrain Tech 13 05-11-2016 03:38 PM
98 2.5 manual transmission acting up. Motozahn11 Drivetrain Tech 6 12-28-2014 07:29 AM
transmission acting up. Kyle_M. Drivetrain Tech 3 11-14-2014 07:48 PM
Trucks acting funny!!!! mikesturbo94 Other Engine Tech 9 06-05-2010 02:38 AM