Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 02-02-2018, 11:37 AM
PissCutter PissCutter is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3
Default 4x4 front left wheel issue

So ive looked through the forum and haven't found anything that resembles the problem I am having

So I have a 04 FX4 level 2 with 280 000KM on everything but the motor. so whenever I put the truck into 4wd while im driving I hear and feel almost a clunk from the front left wheel, whenever this happens it feels like the wheel stops just briefly as if it is getting caught on something. the 4x4 light doesn't flicker when this happens either. this happens in forward or reverse.

Thanks in advance for any help. it is very much appreceated
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-02-2018, 08:29 PM
12 Deg North Industries 12 Deg North Industries is offline
Vehicle Upfitters
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 89
Default Re: 4x4 front left wheel issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PissCutter View Post
So ive looked through the forum and haven't found anything that resembles the problem I am having

So I have a 04 FX4 level 2 with 280 000KM on everything but the motor. so whenever I put the truck into 4wd while im driving I hear and feel almost a clunk from the front left wheel, whenever this happens it feels like the wheel stops just briefly as if it is getting caught on something. the 4x4 light doesn't flicker when this happens either. this happens in forward or reverse.

Thanks in advance for any help. it is very much appreceated
When was the front axles, U joints, and hubs last been serviced, repacked/greased, or replaced?
__________________
12į North Industries
Las Vegas, Nevada 89118
Sales 702.781.0302
Email sales@12degnorth.com

Web www.12degnorth.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-02-2018, 11:35 PM
Rath Empire Rath Empire is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 266
Default Re: 4x4 front left wheel issue

Sounds like a CV joint on the axle to me.

What kind of road surface are you doing this on?
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II
Twitter: @RathPhoto
RathPhoto.ca
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-03-2018, 12:26 AM
Jimmyspy Jimmyspy is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,159
Default Re: 4x4 front left wheel issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rath Empire View Post
Sounds like a CV joint on the axle to me.

What kind of road surface are you doing this on?


X2. Are you on dry pavement? Sounds like somethings binding up. If youíre not trying to use 4wd on dry pavement, i would assume itís a cv issue.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2002 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4, ext. cab, 4.0L v6
Superlifted
33x12.5 Duratracs

1995 Ford Ranger STX 4x4 ext. cab 4.0l v6 SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-03-2018, 06:52 AM
PissCutter PissCutter is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3
Default Re: 4x4 front left wheel issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyspy View Post
X2. Are you on dry pavement? Sounds like somethings binding up. If youíre not trying to use 4wd on dry pavement, i would assume itís a cv issue.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the fast replies, as far as I know none of them have been serviced, and due to where I am I have no dry pavement (gotta love Canadian winters) but any other terrain it does it on, the previous owner got the truck with 20 000 KM on it and says that it made that noise since he got it in 06. every time he brought it to the ford dealer they said it is normal to make that noise. myself and my family don't use that dealer anymore because of stuff like this. I will look into those suggestions, and I will be posting in the new member forum as soon as I figure out how to post the pictures.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-03-2018, 08:57 AM
Rath Empire Rath Empire is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 266
Default Re: 4x4 front left wheel issue

Dry pavement isn't the only surface that it will bind on lol.

I live in Canada as well, plenty of surfaces in winter that you shouldn't be using 4x4
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II
Twitter: @RathPhoto
RathPhoto.ca
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-05-2018, 09:05 PM
Castleguard Castleguard is offline
Lurking at the Beach???
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 275
Default Re: 4x4 front left wheel issue

jack it up, start with the wiggle tests for tie rods and ball joints. spin it to see how the bearings are, listen and feel for grinding type noises and vibrations just to eliminate those areas and then check out the cv's..you may just want to change the wheel bearings anyway..I just changed them on my '07 FX4. it's pretty straight forward
__________________
2007 FX4 4.0l V6 | 5" RCD Suspension lift | Westin Stainless Sidesteps
33"x12.5" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs | 15"x8" ATX Slot wheels
Superlift Front Driveshaft
Build Thread
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hear a creaking/grinding noise left front wheel tarheels21 Suspension Tech 0 02-12-2015 02:08 PM
09 4x4 left front wheel squak fordman79 Drivetrain Tech 0 09-29-2014 08:59 AM
left front wheel grinds, switch to 4*4 and noise disappears Ranger NB Drivetrain Tech 7 07-23-2012 05:18 AM
Front Left Wheel bearing 05, 2wd. edge. 3.0 need help kkanthony3 Drivetrain Tech 1 12-10-2011 08:12 AM
Clicking Sound from front left wheel country83 Drivetrain Tech 7 03-31-2010 04:29 PM