Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 05-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Dcrymes99ranger Dcrymes99ranger is offline
Explorer seats are in
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,176
Default Mequiars Wheel Polish Kit! Whats your opinion!!

So my wheels have never been polished with a cone before. I've always done it by hand. So I picked up the Meguiar's Wheel Polishing kit tonight at work. I thought I would give it a try tomorrow when I wash my truck. Has anyone used this before? And what is your opinion on this?

__________________
1999 Ford Ranger 3.0xl


My Build Thread!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-01-2011, 08:21 PM
dixie_boysles dixie_boysles is offline
5.Oh All the way

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,581
Send a message via Yahoo to dixie_boysles
Default Re: Mequiars Wheel Polish Kit! Whats your opinion!!

My opinion is that this shit is the SHIT!!!!!!!!!!

I have it and love it man. its super easy to use. I used mine with Busch Super Shine Aluminum Polish. made my wheels SHINE

for wheels, it is hands down better than anything Mothers has. it has an arbor around the shaft so you can hold it there and control the cone better. its pretty badass

Use a CORDED drill when doing it. cordless just runs out too fast. you have to do small sections at a time (take your time, its worth it). ALso, take your wheels off the truck when doing them and put them at waist height to work on.
__________________
2014 F150 SuperCrew XLT 4x4
275/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W | Shorty Antenna | Tinted Windows | ProClip Phone Mount |5.0 v8 |Tow Package | Oxford White


Sold/Totaled: 2006 Ranger XLT 2D SuperCap 4x4 Torch Red
15x8 Pacer 164P Polished Wheels | 31x10.50 BFG ATs | Level II Tow Hooks | FX4 Red Insert Seats
Tinted Windows | 6000K HIDs | Kobalt Low Profile Toolbox | Pioneer Speakers

Last edited by dixie_boysles; 05-01-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Dcrymes99ranger Dcrymes99ranger is offline
Explorer seats are in
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,176
Default Re: Mequiars Wheel Polish Kit! Whats your opinion!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie_boysles View Post
My opinion is that this shit is the SHIT!!!!!!!!!!

I have it and love it man. its super easy to use. I used mine with Busch Super Shine Aluminum Polish. made my wheels SHINE

for wheels, it is hands down better than anything Mothers has. it has an arbor around the shaft so you can hold it there and control the cone better. its pretty badass

Use a CORDED drill when doing it. cordless just runs out too fast. you have to do small sections at a time (take your time, its worth it). ALso, take your wheels off the truck when doing them and put them at waist height to work on.
Thank You for the tip Scott!! I'll be doing this Tuesday when I'm off work so I can take the wheels off and do them one at a time. This will give me a chance to get some damn dust caps for the front.
__________________
1999 Ford Ranger 3.0xl


My Build Thread!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-01-2011, 08:39 PM
dixie_boysles dixie_boysles is offline
5.Oh All the way

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,581
Send a message via Yahoo to dixie_boysles
Default Re: Mequiars Wheel Polish Kit! Whats your opinion!!

Im serios, patience is needed. just because you have a handy tool does not make it a fast job. so take your time, bond with the truck, and polish some wheels.

My steps-

1)take wheel off
2)wash front and back of rim and tire with Simple Green. brush tire super good.
3)Dry
4)Polish
i start with cent of wheel and go out. in your case, i would would do center, one spoke at a time, and finally the lip. make sure you use CHROME polish as you have chrome. many think that chrome and aluminum polish is interchangeable-it is NOT.

You are gonna need some microfiber towels you do not mind getting dirty. once you polish a little, use one to remove polish and semi-buff. then a good clean one to final buff.

Sometimes the foam will leave a slight hazing, if you must, give it a quick over with a quick hand polish after the cone so you can remove any hazing.

5)rewash tire and wheel to get off any polish you accidentally got on tire and to remove any residue. Dry with clean microfiber and remount once totally dry
__________________
2014 F150 SuperCrew XLT 4x4
275/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W | Shorty Antenna | Tinted Windows | ProClip Phone Mount |5.0 v8 |Tow Package | Oxford White


Sold/Totaled: 2006 Ranger XLT 2D SuperCap 4x4 Torch Red
15x8 Pacer 164P Polished Wheels | 31x10.50 BFG ATs | Level II Tow Hooks | FX4 Red Insert Seats
Tinted Windows | 6000K HIDs | Kobalt Low Profile Toolbox | Pioneer Speakers
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Dcrymes99ranger Dcrymes99ranger is offline
Explorer seats are in
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,176
Default Re: Mequiars Wheel Polish Kit! Whats your opinion!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie_boysles View Post
Im serios, patience is needed. just because you have a handy tool does not make it a fast job. so take your time, bond with the truck, and polish some wheels.

My steps-

1)take wheel off
2)wash front and back of rim and tire with Simple Green. brush tire super good.
3)Dry
4)Polish
i start with cent of wheel and go out. in your case, i would would do center, one spoke at a time, and finally the lip. make sure you use CHROME polish as you have chrome. many think that chrome and aluminum polish is interchangeable-it is NOT.

You are gonna need some microfiber towels you do not mind getting dirty. once you polish a little, use one to remove polish and semi-buff. then a good clean one to final buff.

Sometimes the foam will leave a slight hazing, if you must, give it a quick over with a quick hand polish after the cone so you can remove any hazing.

5)rewash tire and wheel to get off any polish you accidentally got on tire and to remove any residue. Dry with clean microfiber and remount once totally dry

Scott, I am using this to clean my wheels.



Would this be ok? I know it leaves runs in the wheels and I have to rewash them. Do you recommend this ......


__________________
1999 Ford Ranger 3.0xl


My Build Thread!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-01-2011, 08:58 PM
dixie_boysles dixie_boysles is offline
5.Oh All the way

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,581
Send a message via Yahoo to dixie_boysles
Default Re: Mequiars Wheel Polish Kit! Whats your opinion!!

Meh, I would use simple green only. Up to u though.
__________________
2014 F150 SuperCrew XLT 4x4
275/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W | Shorty Antenna | Tinted Windows | ProClip Phone Mount |5.0 v8 |Tow Package | Oxford White


Sold/Totaled: 2006 Ranger XLT 2D SuperCap 4x4 Torch Red
15x8 Pacer 164P Polished Wheels | 31x10.50 BFG ATs | Level II Tow Hooks | FX4 Red Insert Seats
Tinted Windows | 6000K HIDs | Kobalt Low Profile Toolbox | Pioneer Speakers
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Dcrymes99ranger Dcrymes99ranger is offline
Explorer seats are in
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,176
Default Re: Mequiars Wheel Polish Kit! Whats your opinion!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie_boysles View Post
Meh, I would use simple green only. Up to u though.
I'll give Simple Green a try.
__________________
1999 Ford Ranger 3.0xl


My Build Thread!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinion on what wheel to get Coastie Wheels and Tires 19 08-26-2011 03:43 AM
whats the most reliable 9007 HI/LO 35w HID kit for under 75 buks?? 2010 General Ford Ranger Discussion 17 12-20-2010 12:54 AM
Whats a good quality dash kit?? Crutchfield's are brittle.... 2010 Audio / Video 3 11-28-2010 09:18 PM
whats your opinion??? BARNSTORMER Wheels and Tires 1 04-14-2010 09:57 PM
Grill Polish???? C Jizzle Cleaning and Detailing 5 03-09-2010 11:57 AM