Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #16  
Old 07-17-2011, 09:35 PM
T Bone T Bone is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 445
Default Re: Can anyone give me more info on 6x9's?

The boxes are made strictly for 6x9's
__________________
2011 TORCH RED XLT 2DR SUPERCAB 4X2 2.3L I4 ENGINE 5-SPD AUTOMATIC O/D TRANS

Line-X Bed Liner, LED Dome Light, Bug Deflector
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Christianguy Christianguy is offline
TRUCK SOLD!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,025
Default Re: Can anyone give me more info on 6x9's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407Ford View Post
If you want better sound get some 6.5" speakers...sound travels in circles not ovals
X2 on switching to 6.5 inchers!
I swapped out all four of mine and really don't need a sub!
Sure... I can't hit low beats , but it still sounds great with my new Pioneer deck I scored on eBay for $37
Cheaper than buying an Amplifier and it's got an iPod attachment!
__________________
1999 Ford Ranger XL
Vulcan V6, K&N 33-2106 Filter, 3:73 Gears,
FRONT 3'' Susp Lift/REAR 3'' susp.+ 3" blocks,06 Mirrors
31"/10.5"-15" BFG on AR-172 Polished Rims,Smitybilt Console
95 Mustang Saleen Seats,Alternating Blinker MOD
Pioneer CD/iPod/GPS,6.5 Polk Audio/6.5 Sub-Woofers,
Stainless Bed Extender,Throttle and Dome Light MOD,
12" Tool Box,Billet Grille,NightShade Tint,Projector Headlamps
6000K H.I.D. so i can see at night! LOL


JESUS is LORD!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-17-2011, 10:06 PM
T Bone T Bone is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 445
Default Re: Can anyone give me more info on 6x9's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christianguy View Post
X2 on switching to 6.5 inchers!
I swapped out all four of mine and really don't need a sub!
Sure... I can't hit low beats , but it still sounds great with my new Pioneer deck I scored on eBay for $37
Cheaper than buying an Amplifier and it's got an iPod attachment!
So if I get a head unit I won't need to get an amp?
__________________
2011 TORCH RED XLT 2DR SUPERCAB 4X2 2.3L I4 ENGINE 5-SPD AUTOMATIC O/D TRANS

Line-X Bed Liner, LED Dome Light, Bug Deflector
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-18-2011, 08:49 AM
T Bone T Bone is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 445
Default Re: Can anyone give me more info on 6x9's?

Can any one help me out a little more?
__________________
2011 TORCH RED XLT 2DR SUPERCAB 4X2 2.3L I4 ENGINE 5-SPD AUTOMATIC O/D TRANS

Line-X Bed Liner, LED Dome Light, Bug Deflector
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-18-2011, 10:16 AM
T Bone T Bone is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 445
Default Re: Can anyone give me more info on 6x9's?

I guess I'll try this one more time. Can anyone give me some advice?
__________________
2011 TORCH RED XLT 2DR SUPERCAB 4X2 2.3L I4 ENGINE 5-SPD AUTOMATIC O/D TRANS

Line-X Bed Liner, LED Dome Light, Bug Deflector
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-18-2011, 10:37 AM
RoadBlock RoadBlock is offline
RangerRacer09
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10
Default Re: Can anyone give me more info on 6x9's?

depending on the condition of the truck u can put the ovals in the door and git real decent sound. i got an 88 that i did that with and it sounds great. got a 1000w kenwood amp and 2 6.5" audiopipes. sounds great and it has more bass than i thought it would...
__________________
When all else fails, kick n the 4x4 and hang on!!!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-18-2011, 10:55 AM
T Bone T Bone is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 445
Default Re: Can anyone give me more info on 6x9's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadBlock View Post
depending on the condition of the truck u can put the ovals in the door and git real decent sound. i got an 88 that i did that with and it sounds great. got a 1000w kenwood amp and 2 6.5" audiopipes. sounds great and it has more bass than i thought it would...
Well I'm going to put them in the boxes I have and put them under my seats. What brand would you recommend and do I really need an amp?
__________________
2011 TORCH RED XLT 2DR SUPERCAB 4X2 2.3L I4 ENGINE 5-SPD AUTOMATIC O/D TRANS

Line-X Bed Liner, LED Dome Light, Bug Deflector
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-19-2011, 07:55 AM
BTJONESY BTJONESY is offline
BTJonesy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 226
Default Re: Can anyone give me more info on 6x9's?

I have had really good luck with kenwood amps and speakers, they sound really good too
__________________
2013 F 150 Crew Cab XTR 5.0L

2007 Ranger Sport 4x4 SOLD

1999 Ranger sport stepside 4x2 SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-19-2011, 08:23 AM
Buddythetruck Buddythetruck is offline
Eat-Sleep-Mod
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 235
Default Re: Can anyone give me more info on 6x9's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman1490 View Post
yeah... or i guess you could wire them into your back speakers.. but i wouldnt recommend it. you will lose power in those. and it will all just sound shitty. Your stock radio only puts maybe 80 to 100 watts out. thats split between 4 speakers. with a max rating of 50 lets say.. so 100/4 is 25 watts per speaker. at two more and it drops to 12.5 for four in the back and 25 for the two in the front.
THIS IS SO WRONG. STOP USING MAX POWER.

Now, I owned a '97 so the newer head unit's might be a bit more power, but mine read off as 8 watts rms per channel. Most aftermarkets give off somewhere between 15-25watts rms per channel.

There are many more factors to sound quality and volume than power input. Ever owned a guitar amp? My buddy's 30w amp will break eardrums and windows without distortion. Try looking at factors like Xmax (travel of speaker cone), sensitivity (a form of efficiency rating), and the composition of the speakers.

What is the thought behind it being bad to unplug the stock rear speakers and use properly powered 6X9's in their place? Sounds like a good idea to me.

And to the original poster: Bass ussualy means space. The more space you give to the subwoofer and box, the more bass you will get back.
A single 10" in a sealed enclosure will take up a bit over a cubic foot. This is ussualy adequete bass for most ranger owners.
__________________
1997 Ranger XLT GREEN SOLD.
Sony HU: Infinity 6X8's: painted interior vinyl: reupholstered and painted door panels: new vinyl floor: fo-diamond plate behind seats: Suede headliner: Two tone black/tan interior: fiberglass OHC: Black Explorer visors w/ upgraded mirrors: painted grill w/ mesh in grill: locking tonneau: 10" kicker sub: pioneer amp: racing stripes: blacked out tailights: custom paint on rims and hubcaps: Painted bumpers: rocker stripes: More mods that won't fit
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-19-2011, 11:06 PM
RedLineRanger RedLineRanger is offline
Im Winning.. are you?
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 613
Default Re: Can anyone give me more info on 6x9's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddythetruck View Post
THIS IS SO WRONG. STOP USING MAX POWER.

Now, I owned a '97 so the newer head unit's might be a bit more power, but mine read off as 8 watts rms per channel. Most aftermarkets give off somewhere between 15-25watts rms per channel.

There are many more factors to sound quality and volume than power input. Ever owned a guitar amp? My buddy's 30w amp will break eardrums and windows without distortion. Try looking at factors like Xmax (travel of speaker cone), sensitivity (a form of efficiency rating), and the composition of the speakers.

What is the thought behind it being bad to unplug the stock rear speakers and use properly powered 6X9's in their place? Sounds like a good idea to me.

And to the original poster: Bass ussualy means space. The more space you give to the subwoofer and box, the more bass you will get back.
A single 10" in a sealed enclosure will take up a bit over a cubic foot. This is ussualy adequete bass for most ranger owners.
How is that wrong? Sounds good to me and i was guessing. And after your first paragraph he never said he was going to unplug the back ones and hook the 6x9s up just that he was going to put those in. If that was the case yea it would be a good idea.. but it isnt going to be much better than aftermarket 6x8 in the doors.. just more space taken up and two speakers not doing anything. and i play acoustic no need for an amp.And like i said i was geussing at the watts for the stock. i never looked at them never cared to. I bought my truck and put all my aftermarket stuff in the same day.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Well I'm going to put them in the boxes I have and put them under my seats. What brand would you recommend and do I really need an amp?
kenwoods and kickers.. thats your best bet. and yes if ur not unpluging your rear speakers. and no if u are.
__________________
2003 Blue Fx-4 ranger.
Mustang dome light, blue/silver painted interior, Kenwood head deck and kenwood 6x8 speakers= Custom built 8 inch sub box with a 8 inch mtx rs, kenwood 160 rms amp. , Line-x bed liner,custom vinyl center console lid. Silver grill and fender flares. Personal Air box mod with drop in k&n filter, Dynomax Ultra Flo cat-back exhaust system. Working on exterior valance next than hood scoop silver and 4.0 stickers. This spring a full interior redo with seats. More to come.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-20-2011, 01:10 AM
fork80 fork80 is offline
Like Ranger, Hate Dealer.
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 113
Default Re: Can anyone give me more info on 6x9's?

Putting the 6x9s under the seat is as good as putting them under water. You will get very little volume out of them. You will loose everything into the seat. The only thing you want to put UNDER the seat is an amp. One 10" sub in the back is going to do sooo much more for you. Hell, if that's too big, go with an 8" sub. Either of the subs will be better than those. If you are dead set on the 6x9s, put them in the back somewhere mounted, or where they won't get kicked. Don't face them into something like....well...a seat.

To answer your question that no one has seemed to answer yet: 6x9s - I would go with Alpine, Rockford-Fosgate, or Pioneer. Subs: Kicker, Alpine, Rock-Foz. In that order. Especially if you are going with only one sub.

Pretty good website to research speakers (prices not too shabby either):

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i7_car-speakers.html
__________________
Non-stop Ranger owner: circa 1986 ('86, '92, '04). 648,000+ miles and counting. That's 1.04+ million kilometers for you north of the border.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: So who wants one? I will give you HIDs for cheap :) GGlighting Exterior Parts 35 06-02-2011 09:13 PM
Please Give input Decepticon Vehicle Snapshots 13 01-10-2011 11:40 AM
Help. Can't get ranger to give me any power. fpickle Electrical Tech 12 12-29-2010 10:30 AM
Will 6x9's fit in the rear of a reg cab? ObsoleteE Interior Tech 1 08-26-2010 09:33 PM
I want to give a big thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tigersax General Ford Ranger Discussion 5 06-09-2010 10:13 PM