Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 04-09-2011, 08:10 PM
dirttrackracer dirttrackracer is offline
no regrets
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 530
Default audio experts might have a ? that will stump you

ranger, extra cab with a aftermarket sound system. infinity speakers in all 4 corners and 2 12in jackhammers. when the subs are in if you jam the system or play it loud it is great but sometimes when you lower the volume the highs kick out, but the subs stay kicking just as hard.
the headunit is a alpine and alll wires are stock going to the speakers. sometimes when i would shut the truck off when the highs gave out, shit it off and turned it back on it would work just fine. but the last 3 days it hasent worked it stumped like 10 people

the headunit does not have a in line fuse though? unlike many other aftermnarket headunits. i am runnig all new wires monday to the speakers and i took the subs out. the ground is good for the headunit.

what do you guys think? i am stumped
__________________
sold-91' extra cab 4.0 auto went from 3in lowered to 11in of lift.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Johnbaum13 Johnbaum13 is offline
<-----Buzz Killington
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,232
Send a message via Yahoo to Johnbaum13
Default Re: audio experts might have a ? that will stump you

Sounds like the volume control on the internal amp is crapping out. Try running an external amp to the door and rear speakers, as well as one to the the subs. I guessing you do have more than one set of pre-amp outputs on the headunit?
__________________
I got my Jesus on the dashboard, but the Devil's under my hood!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-09-2011, 08:25 PM
2004xlmiller 2004xlmiller is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12,689
Default Re: audio experts might have a ? that will stump you

or adjust the hpf (or something like that) on the radio. it controls the highs, i think lpf (or something, cant remember it right now) controls the bass cutout level.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-09-2011, 09:18 PM
dirttrackracer dirttrackracer is offline
no regrets
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 530
Default Re: audio experts might have a ? that will stump you

i have turned the base up and way down same way witht the treable. and sometimes it would work but like said for 3 days now nothing has happened no sound at all but still have subs.

so get a new headunit? nbecause i dont have the time to install my infinity amp to power the speakers nor do i have the time to install the kit to run 2 amps,l 1g wire underneath cab, distribution block and 2 4g wires one to each amp.
__________________
sold-91' extra cab 4.0 auto went from 3in lowered to 11in of lift.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-10-2011, 10:05 AM
DangerRanger379 DangerRanger379 is offline
B. A. M. F.
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 483
Default Re: audio experts might have a ? that will stump you

new head unit, old one sounds like its going out.
__________________
2003 | XLT | Extended Cab | V6 | 4x4 | 4.0L SOHC | 3 Inch Body Lift | Cranked T-Bars | TJM Wench Bumper | Blacked Out Heads | Fog Light Mod | Surround Delete Mod | Blinker Mod | Custom Center Console | OHC | Pacer Bullet Rims | 33x12.5 All Terrains | 1 Inch Wheel Spacers
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-15-2011, 01:16 AM
AJxlt AJxlt is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 23
Default Re: audio experts might have a ? that will stump you

Whoa whoa whoa just don't start buying new head units and amps! It sounds like sever road noise! Where is your ground? Are your wires all tangled together? Is your audio(red/white prong)wire in a high traffic area or running along transmissions or exhaust? Rips or tears In the wires? These are all question u need to adress b4 you start replacing things! My dads old system in his civic used to turn up and down when he hit the brakes because his remote wire was shot! A 7 dollar wire fixed the problem!
Get back to me on that man!
__________________
03 RANGER XLT EXTENDED CAB 2WD 3.0L
AUTO BLURPLE GREY WITH 19,007 MILES
LOOKING TO MAKE IT STAND OUT!
HATE PULLING UP TO MY TRUCK!
NO PICS TO LAPTOP IS FIXED SORRY!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-15-2011, 09:54 AM
BlackBy4 BlackBy4 is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 238
Send a message via AIM to BlackBy4 Send a message via MSN to BlackBy4 Send a message via Skype™ to BlackBy4
Default Re: audio experts might have a ? that will stump you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJxlt View Post
Whoa whoa whoa just don't start buying new head units and amps! It sounds like sever road noise! Where is your ground? Are your wires all tangled together? Is your audio(red/white prong)wire in a high traffic area or running along transmissions or exhaust? Rips or tears In the wires? These are all question u need to adress b4 you start replacing things! My dads old system in his civic used to turn up and down when he hit the brakes because his remote wire was shot! A 7 dollar wire fixed the problem!
Get back to me on that man!

I fail to see how it would be road noise....road noise is the sound your tires make while driving.
You might be thinking of alternator whine? BUt even then, I fail to see it, since that comes out as a 'whine' as you increase RPM's. It honestly sounds to me, like others have said, that the internal amplifier is going on the headunit. Is it an older headunit?
Are you able to run a couple speakers off the subwoofer amplifier (if it's a A/B amp) for a day or 2 to troubleshoot?
If it's faster for you, PM me and I'll shoot you my cell number so we can text to try and get this figured out sooner.
__________________
Nathan

-2010 4.0L 5-speed 4x4 Black Sport
3" SR Bodylift | T-Bar Crank | 6400 Shackles | 315/75/16 Disco S/T | Hella Rallye 4000 9" | 55W 6000K HID
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-15-2011, 01:10 PM
AJxlt AJxlt is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 23
Default Re: audio experts might have a ? that will stump you

Wow your an idiot! Ok let me brake this down in a way u might understand. Ok speakers get there noise from wires right! Well there are wires leading to your amp if they are picking up unwanted vibration they will transmit that into noise produced by the speaker they are leading to! And the reason I'm pretty sure its not his deck is because the unwanted volume is only in the woofer. Why would the deck only make the woofers loud? It wouldn't the deck would effect the entire system its not selective! So my educated guess and all my years of experience says road noise! Look it up its a problem in the mobile audio world that's why you can't just run your wires any where and you "KING OF MOBILE AUDIO" of all people should have this knowledge especially if your gona challenge mine!
__________________
03 RANGER XLT EXTENDED CAB 2WD 3.0L
AUTO BLURPLE GREY WITH 19,007 MILES
LOOKING TO MAKE IT STAND OUT!
HATE PULLING UP TO MY TRUCK!
NO PICS TO LAPTOP IS FIXED SORRY!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-15-2011, 03:56 PM
FX4 Mike FX4 Mike is offline
Ford Motor Co
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 154
Default Re: audio experts might have a ? that will stump you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJxlt View Post
Wow your an idiot! Ok let me brake this down in a way u might understand. Ok speakers get there noise from wires right! Well there are wires leading to your amp if they are picking up unwanted vibration they will transmit that into noise produced by the speaker they are leading to! And the reason I'm pretty sure its not his deck is because the unwanted volume is only in the woofer. Why would the deck only make the woofers loud? It wouldn't the deck would effect the entire system its not selective! So my educated guess and all my years of experience says road noise! Look it up its a problem in the mobile audio world that's why you can't just run your wires any where and you "KING OF MOBILE AUDIO" of all people should have this knowledge especially if your gona challenge mine!
i foresee you vanishing via ban-hammer shortly... a ground loop would cause a problem or improperly shielded wire could pick up unwanted electrical interference..

but road noise? noise is sound, which is caused by something moving at a given rate to vibrate/move the air, which your ears perceive as a sound. and so your saying vibrations of the tires, engine and road will magically transform to electricity to interfere with someones audio system?
__________________
2003 Ranger FX4, 265/75/16, deh-4200ub, MRP-M500, DD 1508 in a PWK design box
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-15-2011, 04:14 PM
AJxlt AJxlt is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 23
Default Re: audio experts might have a ? that will stump you

^fail
__________________
03 RANGER XLT EXTENDED CAB 2WD 3.0L
AUTO BLURPLE GREY WITH 19,007 MILES
LOOKING TO MAKE IT STAND OUT!
HATE PULLING UP TO MY TRUCK!
NO PICS TO LAPTOP IS FIXED SORRY!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-15-2011, 04:17 PM
FX4 Mike FX4 Mike is offline
Ford Motor Co
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 154
Default Re: audio experts might have a ? that will stump you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJxlt View Post
^fail
goodbye
__________________
2003 Ranger FX4, 265/75/16, deh-4200ub, MRP-M500, DD 1508 in a PWK design box
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-09-2011, 06:52 PM
dirttrackracer dirttrackracer is offline
no regrets
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 530
Default Re: audio experts might have a ? that will stump you

shit, sorry guys i missed this. and it was older head-unit a 2003 alpine. ground for the wiring harness and the head-unit is on the dash support below the dash, i have a newer headunit and i put that one in to see if that was the problem, it worked for about a week and now it did it again.
this headunit is a dual from walmart my buddy gave me its a 2010 (he upgraded to a dvd system)

but i took all my wires out and i found out that if i dissconect the grond from the headunit the highs come in and then sometimes give out. and the same thing happens when i connect the main ground comming from the wiring harness dissattached and just the head unit grounded.

i have a vid i took on the phone ill upload
__________________
sold-91' extra cab 4.0 auto went from 3in lowered to 11in of lift.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-10-2011, 06:39 PM
dirttrackracer dirttrackracer is offline
no regrets
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 530
Default Re: audio experts might have a ? that will stump you

bump need help
__________________
sold-91' extra cab 4.0 auto went from 3in lowered to 11in of lift.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-10-2011, 06:46 PM
reconjb reconjb is offline
Found a Diesel
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 10,686
Default Re: audio experts might have a ? that will stump you

You could have a short in a speaker wire somewhere I'm not sure on what you mean by you "took all the wires out".

One more question how are your door speakers ran straight from the HU or from an external amp. If it is an external amp never mind but if its an internal amp the RCA outputs to the sub could still work but the HU amp may go into a protected circuit causing your sound to disappear then reappear after it was restarted until it shorts again. I would say if you haven't already check the speaker wires either visually or with a ohm meter.
__________________
Truck: 2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 4x4 ext cab
My Build Thread
Mod Ideas
Don't Forget to:
Create a Signature
Show your system

Mods: Brush guard|Front Hitch|Expo Roof Rack|Train Horn|Door/Dash/step/Hood Leds|2" lift|Rear Tow Points|On-Board Air System| 22" & 40" LED bar|and More!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-10-2011, 08:57 PM
dirttrackracer dirttrackracer is offline
no regrets
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 530
Default Re: audio experts might have a ? that will stump you

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconjb View Post
You could have a short in a speaker wire somewhere I'm not sure on what you mean by you "took all the wires out".

One more question how are your door speakers ran straight from the HU or from an external amp. If it is an external amp never mind but if its an internal amp the RCA outputs to the sub could still work but the HU amp may go into a protected circuit causing your sound to disappear then reappear after it was restarted until it shorts again. I would say if you haven't already check the speaker wires either visually or with a ohm meter.
nothing major i just pulled the wires out of the faceplate...

to check the reading i do it at the speakers if i rember right?
and what should it read?

this is making me mad i hate having no radio

----------



it does this when it does work now
__________________
sold-91' extra cab 4.0 auto went from 3in lowered to 11in of lift.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a Ranger, thought I'd ask the experts 7moore7 Introduce Yourself 12 03-08-2011 09:10 PM
Transmition experts I need help. southbama man 3.0 Vulcan Tech 8 02-24-2011 02:02 PM
Any 1984 2.3 experts in the house? billsmcplus 4-Cylinder Tech 0 01-16-2011 01:57 PM
To my Ranger Experts CLOS99 Exterior Tech 3 07-19-2010 05:20 PM
Camera experts I need help! ryangtp89 Off Topic 9 09-26-2009 12:29 AM