Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 11-15-2010, 01:24 PM
gfj17 gfj17 is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 73
Default how exactly would you hook this up and how much power would be prdcd

im lookin to get a alpine mrp-m500 mono amp, 2 jbl gt0804 4 ohm svc subs, a 2 farad tsunami capacitor
and i was wanting to what is the best way to hook them up.
i gotta reg cab 2001 ranger
aaaaaaaaand i also wanna know how much power each sub will be getting. amp is 500 rms x1 at 2 ohms and 300 and 4 ohms.
subs i think are 200 rms
thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-15-2010, 02:40 PM
caliranger10 caliranger10 is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 44
Default Re: how exactly would you hook this up and how much power would be prdcd

do u have a stock stereo or is it an aftermarket? when u install an amp uu must run whats called an rca cable which is ran from the rear of your stereo to the amp. but when u run that wire u also need to run an auxiliary wire to ur amp that wire basically tells your amp to turn on when the key is in auxiliary mode and turn off when its not. the rca cable looks like components for your television the red, white and yellow. an rca is only the red and white portion. lol but dont use a regular component cable purchase an actual car audio one. your best bet is to go and buy an installation kit that will come with all the proper wiring. i think best buy even sells them. I did car audio for 2 years and know it well. oh and a word of advice i would forget about the capacitor they dont do anything but further drain your battery. if you correctly install the amp and subs there should be no reason it would drain your battery enough to kill it
__________________
2004 Ford Ranger Xlt 2wd 4 door
4.0 liter V6 engine (all stock)
Delta toolbox in the bed
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-15-2010, 03:23 PM
pooleo pooleo is offline
Ban Survivor. (x2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: how exactly would you hook this up and how much power would be prdcd

You can wire your subs to pull a 2ohm load or 8 ohm load.

You will want to wire them for 2ohm. You will be able to pull 500w at 2ohms.

250w rms to each sub.

You'll want to wire all (+) together and all (-) together.
__________________
1999 | Ext. Cab | 4.0 | 4x4 | 4.10's
Quote:
A Gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Each time he enters the arena, he slips his c0ck in the mouth of the beast, and prays to thrust home before the jaws snap shut. - Oenomaus
Ball Joints/Upper A-Arms How To
Replace Door pin/bushing
Repair broken dome light tabs
VIDEO OHC Install
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-15-2010, 04:14 PM
caliranger10 caliranger10 is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 44
Default Re: how exactly would you hook this up and how much power would be prdcd

yes its called bridging the channels...and make sure when you run the wires run all the power down one side and audio cables down the other or you will get engine wine in the subs
__________________
2004 Ford Ranger Xlt 2wd 4 door
4.0 liter V6 engine (all stock)
Delta toolbox in the bed
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-15-2010, 04:30 PM
pooleo pooleo is offline
Ban Survivor. (x2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: how exactly would you hook this up and how much power would be prdcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliranger10 View Post
yes its called bridging the channels...and make sure when you run the wires run all the power down one side and audio cables down the other or you will get engine wine in the subs
Its a mono amp. Non bridgable
__________________
1999 | Ext. Cab | 4.0 | 4x4 | 4.10's
Quote:
A Gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Each time he enters the arena, he slips his c0ck in the mouth of the beast, and prays to thrust home before the jaws snap shut. - Oenomaus
Ball Joints/Upper A-Arms How To
Replace Door pin/bushing
Repair broken dome light tabs
VIDEO OHC Install
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-15-2010, 04:58 PM
caliranger10 caliranger10 is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 44
Default Re: how exactly would you hook this up and how much power would be prdcd

good call i forgot about that...i never use mono's lol i always use 2 channels lol so i didn even think about it but i do stand corrected
__________________
2004 Ford Ranger Xlt 2wd 4 door
4.0 liter V6 engine (all stock)
Delta toolbox in the bed
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-15-2010, 05:02 PM
buggman buggman is offline
Do not touch the trim!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,018
Default Re: how exactly would you hook this up and how much power would be prdcd

You'll probably need to wire those subs in series/parallel to get a 4ohm load so the amp will be happy.
Wire each subs coil in series for an 8ohm load then wire the subs together for a 4ohm load.

Unless the amp is 1ohm stable, when you connect a 1ohm load to it, it's likely to run VERY hot or shut down completely after a short amount of time.
__________________
'96 XLT, 4.0L, 4x4 Auto, Super Cab, K&N Filter, Dual Exhaust, 200a Alt, Clear Corners, BUGGMAN LED's, Expo Power Seats & Console, LED modded '01 Tails

Need LED's? Send me a PM
LINKS... Click 'em - - -> BUGGMAN PICS - - -BUGGMAN'S YouTube Channel - - -BUGGMAN'S FaceBook
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-15-2010, 05:31 PM
pooleo pooleo is offline
Ban Survivor. (x2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: how exactly would you hook this up and how much power would be prdcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggman View Post
You'll probably need to wire those subs in series/parallel to get a 4ohm load so the amp will be happy.
Wire each subs coil in series for an 8ohm load then wire the subs together for a 4ohm load.

Unless the amp is 1ohm stable, when you connect a 1ohm load to it, it's likely to run VERY hot or shut down completely after a short amount of time.
Subs are SVC.

Man Im on fire tonight correcting folks! lol
__________________
1999 | Ext. Cab | 4.0 | 4x4 | 4.10's
Quote:
A Gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Each time he enters the arena, he slips his c0ck in the mouth of the beast, and prays to thrust home before the jaws snap shut. - Oenomaus
Ball Joints/Upper A-Arms How To
Replace Door pin/bushing
Repair broken dome light tabs
VIDEO OHC Install
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-15-2010, 09:23 PM
gdog1678 gdog1678 is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 39
Default Re: how exactly would you hook this up and how much power would be prdcd

bens all over it. oh and by the way like the other guy said you dont need a capcitor for that 500 watt, and no capacitors do work well on systems that draw a lot of power such as dual amps and bigger amps id say over 1000 watts.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-15-2010, 09:30 PM
buggman buggman is offline
Do not touch the trim!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,018
Default Re: how exactly would you hook this up and how much power would be prdcd

I could have sworn I read the subs were dvc.
As long as the amp is 2ohm stable, just wire em in parallel for a 2ohm load & you should be fine.

As for caps...
Caps are basically bandaids for cancer. They might look neat, but they really won't fix the problem.

The money would be better spend upgrading the alternator & wiring... no matter what the dude at the local car stereo shop says, a cap won't work miracles. In fact, if your electrical system is having problems keeping up with a single amp, the cap will actually be a bigger strain on your electrical system. A cap only stores energy to be used in short bursts, as soon as it starts loosing charge, it has to be replenished by the electrical system.
__________________
'96 XLT, 4.0L, 4x4 Auto, Super Cab, K&N Filter, Dual Exhaust, 200a Alt, Clear Corners, BUGGMAN LED's, Expo Power Seats & Console, LED modded '01 Tails

Need LED's? Send me a PM
LINKS... Click 'em - - -> BUGGMAN PICS - - -BUGGMAN'S YouTube Channel - - -BUGGMAN'S FaceBook
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-16-2010, 12:38 PM
gfj17 gfj17 is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 73
Default Re: how exactly would you hook this up and how much power would be prdcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliranger10 View Post
do u have a stock stereo or is it an aftermarket? when u install an amp uu must run whats called an rca cable which is ran from the rear of your stereo to the amp. but when u run that wire u also need to run an auxiliary wire to ur amp that wire basically tells your amp to turn on when the key is in auxiliary mode and turn off when its not. the rca cable looks like components for your television the red, white and yellow. an rca is only the red and white portion. lol but dont use a regular component cable purchase an actual car audio one. your best bet is to go and buy an installation kit that will come with all the proper wiring. i think best buy even sells them. I did car audio for 2 years and know it well. oh and a word of advice i would forget about the capacitor they dont do anything but further drain your battery. if you correctly install the amp and subs there should be no reason it would drain your battery enough to kill it
i guess i shoulda said this but i know generally how to hook em up. i already have a amp and 2 subs i hooked up lol but thanks anyway. and well one time i was drivin and playin a song and it made my idle rpms drop, and when i would pause it it went back to normal, plus the lights usually seem like they flicker a lil bit so i thought i would need a cap.

and pooleo8 are you sure about the 250 to each sub? cuz thats something i really wanted to know. and i've seen 2 ways of wiring em up for a 2 ohm load on amp and i was wondering which would be better, if one is.
the 2 i know is
1.one positive wire from amp and splits to each sub positive and same with negative.
and 2. pos on amp to pos on one sub, and from that sub pos to next sub pos. same with negative

which would be betta?
btw head unit is a pioneer 12 deh or somethin like that
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-16-2010, 08:50 PM
demon54 demon54 is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 27
Default Re: how exactly would you hook this up and how much power would be prdcd

two 4 ohm speakers in parallel would be 2 ohms for a load the amp will produce 500 watts at that impedance (that would be both speaker + leads and - leads tied together), assuming 90% efficiency you will require 595 watts @ 12 volts for power in that would be about 50 amperes load so you need at least 4 gauge power cable if shorter than 10 or so feet.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-16-2010, 10:30 PM
pooleo pooleo is offline
Ban Survivor. (x2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: how exactly would you hook this up and how much power would be prdcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfj17 View Post
i guess i shoulda said this but i know generally how to hook em up. i already have a amp and 2 subs i hooked up lol but thanks anyway. and well one time i was drivin and playin a song and it made my idle rpms drop, and when i would pause it it went back to normal, plus the lights usually seem like they flicker a lil bit so i thought i would need a cap.

and pooleo8 are you sure about the 250 to each sub? cuz thats something i really wanted to know. and i've seen 2 ways of wiring em up for a 2 ohm load on amp and i was wondering which would be better, if one is.
the 2 i know is
1.one positive wire from amp and splits to each sub positive and same with negative.
and 2. pos on amp to pos on one sub, and from that sub pos to next sub pos. same with negative

which would be betta?
btw head unit is a pioneer 12 deh or somethin like that
well the 250 watts is in theory on paper. It might not be actuall.

If you wire them for the 8 ohm load you are only going to pull 12.5% of the amps power. In theory.

But, your amp is rated to put out 500watt at a 2ohm load. So, if you had 1 sub at 2ohms, you could draw 500watts to that sub. Since you have 2 subs at 2ohms, then half of the watts will go to each sub.

If you wire it for 8 ohms, then you will only get 62.5 watt from your amp. Clearly insuffiecent for what you need. bahaha.

Some mono amps have 2+ and 2-. if yours does then just run each sub to their respective +,-'s.

You can just wire the +'s,-'s together inside the box, I would use like a 10ga wire to run them.


On my system I have 4 10" wired for 1ohm. Actual was like 1.03 ohm, so in my case on paper my 1800w amp supplying 4 subs with a 1ohm load will draw 1800w. each sub is rated at 450w so everything is matched equally. However since I am not really drawing 1ohm im not getting 1800 watts, only 1746w actual.

Same will be true for yours, you most likely will not have an actual 2ohm, maybe like 2.1 or so. The actual watts will be less than 500.
__________________
1999 | Ext. Cab | 4.0 | 4x4 | 4.10's
Quote:
A Gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Each time he enters the arena, he slips his c0ck in the mouth of the beast, and prays to thrust home before the jaws snap shut. - Oenomaus
Ball Joints/Upper A-Arms How To
Replace Door pin/bushing
Repair broken dome light tabs
VIDEO OHC Install

Last edited by pooleo; 11-16-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-17-2010, 03:18 PM
gfj17 gfj17 is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 73
Default Re: how exactly would you hook this up and how much power would be prdcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon54 View Post
two 4 ohm speakers in parallel would be 2 ohms for a load the amp will produce 500 watts at that impedance (that would be both speaker + leads and - leads tied together), assuming 90% efficiency you will require 595 watts @ 12 volts for power in that would be about 50 amperes load so you need at least 4 gauge power cable if shorter than 10 or so feet.
so your talkin about the amp positive to sub, then sub to other sub right? i can see how thats parallel.
ive only hooked a system up once and it wasnt a mono amp so bear with me.
and im not 100% what you are talkin about on that last half...
and with in the amp description it calls for 8 guage. u think i really need 4?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleo8 View Post
well the 250 watts is in theory on paper. It might not be actuall.

If you wire them for the 8 ohm load you are only going to pull 12.5% of the amps power. In theory.

But, your amp is rated to put out 500watt at a 2ohm load. So, if you had 1 sub at 2ohms, you could draw 500watts to that sub. Since you have 2 subs at 2ohms, then half of the watts will go to each sub.

If you wire it for 8 ohms, then you will only get 62.5 watt from your amp. Clearly insuffiecent for what you need. bahaha.

Some mono amps have 2+ and 2-. if yours does then just run each sub to their respective +,-'s.

You can just wire the +'s,-'s together inside the box, I would use like a 10ga wire to run them.


On my system I have 4 10" wired for 1ohm. Actual was like 1.03 ohm, so in my case on paper my 1800w amp supplying 4 subs with a 1ohm load will draw 1800w. each sub is rated at 450w so everything is matched equally. However since I am not really drawing 1ohm im not getting 1800 watts, only 1746w actual.

Same will be true for yours, you most likely will not have an actual 2ohm, maybe like 2.1 or so. The actual watts will be less than 500.
not bein mean or anything but i dont care about 8 ohm lol someone else mentioned that..
but anyway im not that concerned with it being right on 500 watts or anything, but like i said i did wanna know how much each sub would be getting. so i guess at least 220 to each sub?

plus each sub will be in a seperate box.
and here is stuff about that amp

Inputs: The amplifier offers both line-level and speaker-level inputs for 2 channels. The supplied speaker-level input harness allows you to connect this amplifier to a receiver without preamp outputs; aftermarket or factory. The speaker level inputs will accept the output from a high powered radio.

Connections
Left Side Of Amplifier:

•GND (ground): gold-plated screw terminal, 0.33" wide
•Battery: gold-plated screw terminal, 0.33" wide
•Remote: gold-plated screw terminal, 0.33" wide
•Speaker Output: gold-plated screw terminal, 0.33" wide
Note: Alpine recommends 8 gauge power and ground wire (minimum).

Right Side Of Amplifier:

•Line Inputs: 1 pair of gold-plated stereo RCA jacks
•Speaker Level Input: Molex plug input for supplied 4-pin harness


does that say anything as far as if the speaker wire is combined inside or outside the amp?
i think there is only one place for it

Last edited by gfj17; 11-17-2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: added stuff
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-17-2010, 03:26 PM
pooleo pooleo is offline
Ban Survivor. (x2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: how exactly would you hook this up and how much power would be prdcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfj17 View Post
not bein mean or anything but i dont care about 8 ohm lol someone else mentioned that..
but anyway im not that concerned with it being right on 500 watts or anything, but like i said i did wanna know how much each sub would be getting. so i guess at least 220 to each sub?
Yes, at least 220 to each sub

The 4 gauge is a good idea because the gauge is directly affected by lenght with car audio, the longer the cable the bigger it needs to be.
__________________
1999 | Ext. Cab | 4.0 | 4x4 | 4.10's
Quote:
A Gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Each time he enters the arena, he slips his c0ck in the mouth of the beast, and prays to thrust home before the jaws snap shut. - Oenomaus
Ball Joints/Upper A-Arms How To
Replace Door pin/bushing
Repair broken dome light tabs
VIDEO OHC Install
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alpine, amp, capacitor, jbl, subwoofer

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to Buy: Rear Tow Hook j-style joshawol Exterior Parts 5 09-15-2010 09:32 AM
[SOLD] Rear tow hook--OR DangerRanger01 Exterior Parts 8 05-02-2010 09:31 PM
Tow Hook stev06 Exterior Tech 1 04-06-2010 02:49 PM
tow hook bolts RangerLuc General Tech 5 03-19-2010 10:06 AM
Hello! I'm new and have something to hook up Nickt Introduce Yourself 9 02-04-2010 08:26 PM