Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1576  
Old 06-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Markous Markous is offline
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,121
Default Re: Show Your System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiston View Post
Awesome bass series Alpine!
That sub will be nearly twenty years old now.
I thought those new E type replacement BASS LINE subs kinda looked familiar.
__________________
2007 Sport|DSG|3.0L|2WD|Black Billet|Anzo LED Tails & 3rd
iPhone 6+ Side Slider|iStreamer|AudioControl|Sundown Audio
Big3|Mechman|x2 G65 AGM|Sound dampening
Pictures
Reply With Quote
  #1577  
Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 PM
AmericanPride! AmericanPride! is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6,674
Default Re: Show Your System

Quote:
Originally Posted by superliftedxlt View Post
The amp itself is mounted in a cubby where the jump seats are in the back so they are not visible but yeah it would still be a good idea to tuck em in a bit
I know it's in the cubby...and I had hoped we didn't have to explain how amps need air!
Reply With Quote
  #1578  
Old 06-06-2013, 05:51 PM
superliftedxlt superliftedxlt is offline
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanPride! View Post

I know it's in the cubby...and I had hoped we didn't have to explain how amps need air!
It's meant to be mounted in an enclosed space it's a class d amp runs very cool compared to class a's
__________________
2007 XLT Ext. Cab 4x4 4.0l V6 Auto
Mods:
Superlift 4" Suspension Lift|33"x12.50" BFGoodrich Mud Terrains|Eagle Alloy 8"x15" Polished Aluminum Rims|Black Billet Grille|Silverstar Ultra's|Tinted Windows|Diamond Plate Black Toolbox|Halogen Fogs|Spyder Tailgate Light Bar
Reply With Quote
  #1579  
Old 06-06-2013, 08:01 PM
63merc 63merc is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanPride! View Post

I know it's in the cubby...and I had hoped we didn't have to explain how amps need air!
Heat just needs to be able to escape and if loaded properly amps hardly get warm.
Think about it. How well is under a seat ventilated? Not very
Reply With Quote
  #1580  
Old 06-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Whiston Whiston is offline
4 litre dirt bike hauler
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 257
Default Re: Show Your System

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63merc View Post
Heat just needs to be able to escape and if loaded properly amps hardly get warm.
Think about it. How well is under a seat ventilated? Not very
You speak the truth.
The purpose of an amplifier heatsink is not to keep the amp cool, it is to distribute the heat away from the devices attached to it, such as diodes and transistors. The heatsink dissipates this heat into the ambient air.

The ambient air is the key word here, the air currently surrounding the amplifier. I will submit that there is an extremely marginal difference in heatsink efficiency, regardless of how you mount your amplifier (within reason), and any thermal shutdown is typically not install related, and more the fact that you're using the equipment well outside the limits of which it was designed.

If that amplifier in that cubby failed exclusively because of it's mounting location, I would send you one of my amps as replacement.

----------

Furthermore, I'd like to add that feeling an amplifiers for heat is a very poor indicator of how well it is running. As was explained above, given two identical topologies, I would sooner take the amp that ran hotter because it would be the one, theoretically, removing the heat from the transistors better.

(That isn't an absolute statement, take it with a grain of salt).
__________________
2006 Sport 4.0 4x4

Bernese Mountain Chauffeur
Reply With Quote
  #1581  
Old 06-06-2013, 08:54 PM
63merc 63merc is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,133
Default

^^^^ thank you my friend. Thank you for a more in depth explanation.
Reply With Quote
  #1582  
Old 06-06-2013, 10:26 PM
brett20 brett20 is offline
BEASTTTT MODEEEE
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,215
Send a message via Yahoo to brett20
Default Re: Show Your System

ill have to get some pics but i just got 2 12" kicker comp r's and a 1200 watt hifonics brutus amp, im wanting to build a ported box for em, been watching a ton of videos on youtube and trying to figure out what i like best and what size i want. anybody know any good sites that help with designing boxes?
__________________
2013 f150 fx4 ecoboost. Couple mods
SOLD 2002 silver frost 3.slow xlt.
Reply With Quote
  #1583  
Old 06-07-2013, 07:26 AM
superliftedxlt superliftedxlt is offline
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiston View Post

You speak the truth.
The purpose of an amplifier heatsink is not to keep the amp cool, it is to distribute the heat away from the devices attached to it, such as diodes and transistors. The heatsink dissipates this heat into the ambient air.

The ambient air is the key word here, the air currently surrounding the amplifier. I will submit that there is an extremely marginal difference in heatsink efficiency, regardless of how you mount your amplifier (within reason), and any thermal shutdown is typically not install related, and more the fact that you're using the equipment well outside the limits of which it was designed.

If that amplifier in that cubby failed exclusively because of it's mounting location, I would send you one of my amps as replacement.

----------

Furthermore, I'd like to add that feeling an amplifiers for heat is a very poor indicator of how well it is running. As was explained above, given two identical topologies, I would sooner take the amp that ran hotter because it would be the one, theoretically, removing the heat from the transistors better.

(That isn't an absolute statement, take it with a grain of salt).
Thanks for clearing it up!
__________________
2007 XLT Ext. Cab 4x4 4.0l V6 Auto
Mods:
Superlift 4" Suspension Lift|33"x12.50" BFGoodrich Mud Terrains|Eagle Alloy 8"x15" Polished Aluminum Rims|Black Billet Grille|Silverstar Ultra's|Tinted Windows|Diamond Plate Black Toolbox|Halogen Fogs|Spyder Tailgate Light Bar
Reply With Quote
  #1584  
Old 06-07-2013, 10:58 PM
gilly gilly is offline
Ford Pickup
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 103
Default

Alpine double din touch screen JL 750 watt amp 2 JL 10 inch w 6s it is loud and I have two Memphis audio 5x7s 3 way speakers in front doors
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20130608_005334.jpg (9.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20130608_005418.jpg (11.3 KB, 56 views)
__________________
20 inch rims,2/3 drop shaved and filped tailgate handle 3inch custom exhaust,hi flo cat custom made air intake throttle body spacer,bosch platinum plugs,custom made saleen mustang front bumper,molded in rollpan,functional fender vents, all exterior plastics smoothed and painted, projector headlights with halos,custom tinted tail lights(paint not nightshade)
Reply With Quote
  #1585  
Old 06-08-2013, 02:30 AM
GrizzlyBear505 GrizzlyBear505 is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett20 View Post
ill have to get some pics but i just got 2 12" kicker comp r's and a 1200 watt hifonics brutus amp, im wanting to build a ported box for em, been watching a ton of videos on youtube and trying to figure out what i like best and what size i want. anybody know any good sites that help with designing boxes?
For a ported enclosure
Go to "RE Audio Box Calculator.com"
Reply With Quote
  #1586  
Old 06-08-2013, 02:40 AM
GrizzlyBear505 GrizzlyBear505 is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 20
Default

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1081617548.jpg (47.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg image-1704922080.jpg (42.6 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote
  #1587  
Old 06-08-2013, 02:43 AM
GrizzlyBear505 GrizzlyBear505 is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 20
Default

2 12" Skar Audo VVX subs in a 4 cube box with a Rockford Fosgate Power T1000.1BDCP xs power d680 secondary battery pioneer deh7400hd Rockford 6x8 punch coaxials. Tuned with a Dd-1
Reply With Quote
  #1588  
Old 06-08-2013, 02:51 AM
Markous Markous is offline
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,121
Default Re: Show Your System

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBear505 View Post
2 12" Skar Audo VVX subs in a 4 cube box with a Rockford Fosgate Power T1000.1BDCP xs power d680 secondary battery pioneer deh7400hd Rockford 6x8 punch coaxials. Tuned with a Dd-1
I would like to see that set-up, if and when you can post pics.

D'amore has so many friggin cool toys! gotta pick up the OM-1 when it comes out!
__________________
2007 Sport|DSG|3.0L|2WD|Black Billet|Anzo LED Tails & 3rd
iPhone 6+ Side Slider|iStreamer|AudioControl|Sundown Audio
Big3|Mechman|x2 G65 AGM|Sound dampening
Pictures
Reply With Quote
  #1589  
Old 06-08-2013, 11:42 AM
GrizzlyBear505 GrizzlyBear505 is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markous View Post

I would like to see that set-up, if and when you can post pics.

D'amore has so many friggin cool toys! gotta pick up the OM-1 when it comes out!
Well I just got a profile on here so when I make some albums on my profile ill have pics of everything.

----------

Here is a vid of it.

Reply With Quote
  #1590  
Old 06-08-2013, 12:05 PM
brett20 brett20 is offline
BEASTTTT MODEEEE
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,215
Send a message via Yahoo to brett20
Default Re: Show Your System

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBear505 View Post
For a ported enclosure
Go to "RE Audio Box Calculator.com"
i tried that but it puts the port on the side i want it in the middle then a sub on both sides cause that looks better IMHO
__________________
2013 f150 fx4 ecoboost. Couple mods
SOLD 2002 silver frost 3.slow xlt.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Show off that INK!!! FX4 Off Topic 790 11-26-2014 07:38 AM
The show pics mikesturbo94 Vehicle Snapshots 9 07-17-2010 11:49 AM
Car Show - 05/01/10 DisturbedESV Vehicle Snapshots 8 05-04-2010 07:33 PM
tonneau who has them and show them off blueovelboy Exterior Tech 20 03-12-2010 01:34 PM
Show My Posts GaryCN Site Announcements, Comments and Suggestions 6 10-21-2009 06:23 AM