Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 07-30-2010, 02:43 PM
SkinnnyB SkinnnyB is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11
Default '98 Ford Ranger XTL System



1000w Kicker Amp
12" Kicker CVR's x2
Vr3 Head Unit (Not Shown)
Custom Built Sub Box (Made it myself)


I turn 16 the 4th of August... i think ill be ready to cruise the streets.

All in all, it hits unbelievable hard. Not only that but it sounds awesome. I have aftermarket door speakers (6x9 Pheonix Golds) and aftermarket cab speakers (9x13 Pheonix Golds)

Theres no rattle from inside or out, its put together very well. im not even 16 yet and i wired and baught it myself, anythings achievable fellas.

Tell me what ya think!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-30-2010, 04:40 PM
ranger101 ranger101 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,571
Default Re: '98 Ford Ranger XTL System

Looks good. Glad to see another young member who's into audio and building/paying for things themselves instead of having mommy and daddy get it all for you. By the way, your subs are upside down.
__________________
2002 XLT 4X4
Auto 4.0L SOHC
8.8 w/ 4.10 L/S

Mods: Xcal 2, K&N Drop-In, Line-X, DSG Heads/Corners, 6000k Hi/Low HID's, 6K HID Fogs, Foglight Mod, Throttle Cable Mod, 6.5" Digital Designs, Rockford P400.4, 2 Sundown SA-15's, MB Quart DSC 2000.1d, Cranked T-Bars, 285/75/R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-30-2010, 05:07 PM
STL STL is offline
...............

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 23,398
Default Re: '98 Ford Ranger XTL System

Nice setup

Ya your subs are upside down

Your not that far from Springfield Mo either.
__________________
2005 Edge

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-30-2010, 05:43 PM
SkinnnyB SkinnnyB is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11
Default Re: '98 Ford Ranger XTL System

Yeah, upside down subs are what you get when your so excited you get in a hurry haha.

I actually just got done re-striping the side of the truck, and painting bumber, grill, wheel well trim, and bed toppers all by my lonesome. Ive been working minimum wage at a local body shop, ive picked up some tips haha.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-30-2010, 05:44 PM
SkinnnyB SkinnnyB is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11
Default Re: '98 Ford Ranger XTL System

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL View Post
Nice setup

Ya your subs are upside down

Your not that far from Springfield Mo either.
I do alot of shopping at Creative Car Audio there.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-30-2010, 09:10 PM
More_Cowbell More_Cowbell is offline
Chrome Dont Get You Home
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,169
Default Re: '98 Ford Ranger XTL System

nice system! ive done a crap load of stuff to vehicles but ive never wired up an amp or sub so i guess ill learn that when i get some spare cash haha theres other stuff on my list besides that for now
__________________
1990 Ranger Extended Cab
2.9L V6 5 Speed Transmission
Planning to put a 347 and a T-5 in it eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
It looks like someone attacked the front of the truck with a bedazzler.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-21-2010, 02:07 PM
JLAUDIOranger JLAUDIOranger is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 38
Default Re: '98 Ford Ranger XTL System

nice system there buddy, 2 12"kickers like those must really hit like a bomb, you must have a good head for that i run a single 6inch subdriver JLAUDIO 6W3v3 in mine at only 120watts and sometimes i get a headache, nice speakers as well 9x13 in the cab, damn those are huge, what's total rms in your system? just curious i got 320total and it can shake the windows like hell your system must be wickedly awesome
__________________
the little winter beater ...I still gotta figure out why I drive this darn 2wd thing when I drive an all wheel drive truck in the summer seriously what the F**K is up with that?!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-27-2010, 11:51 PM
Bwad Bwad is offline
Turd Generation Ranger
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,972
Default Re: '98 Ford Ranger XTL System

Nice job on the pos and neg runs to the battery. Most people are like OMG NO YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE GROUND WIRE BE LESS THAN 3 FEET!!11!!!!

Where did you run them? Through the firewall? I found a drain plug inside of my pass. jumpseat that's big enough to fit 2 runs of 1/0. I just ran it along my framerail and to the engine bay.
__________________
1997 Ford Ranger 2.3L
It's lowered and stuff.

My Build Thread
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-22-2010, 02:14 PM
alabamaman alabamaman is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Default Re: '98 Ford Ranger XTL System

i have a 2003 ranger and i have two JL 12'' W7 subs powered by a 2000 watt amp and it knocks harder than anything i have heard before
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Ruger Splash Ruger Splash is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 66
Default Re: '98 Ford Ranger XTL System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwad View Post
Nice job on the pos and neg runs to the battery. Most people are like OMG NO YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE GROUND WIRE BE LESS THAN 3 FEET!!11!!!!

Where did you run them? Through the firewall? I found a drain plug inside of my pass. jumpseat that's big enough to fit 2 runs of 1/0. I just ran it along my framerail and to the engine bay.
wow if that ground wire goes all the way to the battery you need to change it! A ground wire for the amp need to be as short as possible to avoid adding resistance to the load.
__________________
1997 Ranger Splash 4x4 supercab 4.0v6
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Bwad Bwad is offline
Turd Generation Ranger
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,972
Default Re: '98 Ford Ranger XTL System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger Splash View Post
wow if that ground wire goes all the way to the battery you need to change it! A ground wire for the amp need to be as short as possible to avoid adding resistance to the load.
See, that's where most people fail.

Your negative on your battery is attached to your chassis, which is steel. Copper>steel conductive wise. So, instead of having 3 feet of copper and 10 feet of steel you have to pass your current through, you can just have 13 feet of copper.

And there's no resistance on your ground terminal. Whoever told you that doesn't know shit about shit.
__________________
1997 Ford Ranger 2.3L
It's lowered and stuff.

My Build Thread
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Ruger Splash Ruger Splash is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 66
Default Re: '98 Ford Ranger XTL System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwad View Post
See, that's where most people fail.

Your negative on your battery is attached to your chassis, which is steel. Copper>steel conductive wise. So, instead of having 3 feet of copper and 10 feet of steel you have to pass your current through, you can just have 13 feet of copper.

And there's no resistance on your ground terminal. Whoever told you that doesn't know shit about shit.
wow so the fact that i am an MECP Master certified installer and have been installing car audio for 18 years means that i know nothing? If he were to take that truck to a certified audio show he would not be allowed to compete simply due to the fact that the ground wire is hooked up incorrectly. Ever hear a 4 channel amp with motor noise? That is usually caused by to much resistance on the ground wire. The chassis of the vehicle is what is considered the ground plane of the vehicle. The battery is grounded to the chassis to complete the circuit from the alternator for charging. The case of the alternator is also grounded to the block and the body. !2v electricity does not flow from positive to negative like most people think. It travels from negative to positive. When you run a ground wire to the battery it will work.... however it is not the best way to do it. Think of it this way... if running the ground wire to the battery was the best way to do it then where is there only 1 wire hooked to your negative terminal of the battery? Every ECU and BCM are ground as close as possible to the actual unit themselves.
__________________
1997 Ranger Splash 4x4 supercab 4.0v6
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Ruger Splash Ruger Splash is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 66
Default Re: '98 Ford Ranger XTL System

anyway to the original thread starter i hope you enjoy your new system.
__________________
1997 Ranger Splash 4x4 supercab 4.0v6
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-25-2010, 12:00 AM
Bwad Bwad is offline
Turd Generation Ranger
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,972
Default Re: '98 Ford Ranger XTL System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger Splash View Post
wow so the fact that i am an MECP Master certified installer and have been installing car audio for 18 years means that i know nothing? If he were to take that truck to a certified audio show he would not be allowed to compete simply due to the fact that the ground wire is hooked up incorrectly. Ever hear a 4 channel amp with motor noise? That is usually caused by to much resistance on the ground wire. The chassis of the vehicle is what is considered the ground plane of the vehicle. The battery is grounded to the chassis to complete the circuit from the alternator for charging. The case of the alternator is also grounded to the block and the body. !2v electricity does not flow from positive to negative like most people think. It travels from negative to positive. When you run a ground wire to the battery it will work.... however it is not the best way to do it. Think of it this way... if running the ground wire to the battery was the best way to do it then where is there only 1 wire hooked to your negative terminal of the battery? Every ECU and BCM are ground as close as possible to the actual unit themselves.
OH MY GOD. Engine noise/whine is caused by the RCA's being to close to the power wire. Your audio signal is being interfered with by the power wire, thus causing a whine that corresponds to your engine RPM.

Your ground terminal on your battery is hooked to the chassis. So, you're saying that you would rather your ground wire be attached to less-conductive steel rather than a straight shot of copper all the way back to your battery?

Your MECP-ness isn't at all flattering. Just because you install systems the way someone else taught you to doesn't mean you're an audio god.

You're telling me that if you walled off an excursion with 12 15's, you would attach each of your ground wires to your chassis and not to the batteries?
__________________
1997 Ford Ranger 2.3L
It's lowered and stuff.

My Build Thread
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Ruger Splash Ruger Splash is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 66
Default Re: '98 Ford Ranger XTL System

actually i ran a 50,000 watt system in my 88 subaru wagon as a pure spl car and took second in the world with 171.4db in 2001. had ten batteries linked with buss bars and grounded to the chassis. Its not a matter of better conductor as far as steel to copper goes. Think of it this way... which would you rather have a single run of say 4 awg ground all the way to your battery as your ground, or chassis ground your amp which basically is the equivalent of 50 runs of zero gauge?

Oh and master certification from mecp just show installation knowledge as determined by the best of the best installers industry wide, not that i learned how to do it someone else's way.

Oh and btw engine noise in an audio system is called.... are you ready?... a ground loop...
__________________
1997 Ranger Splash 4x4 supercab 4.0v6
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
'98, amp, headunit, subs, system

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I want to upgrade the sound system in my "1988 Ford Ranger XLT".? Jared B Audio / Video 6 08-08-2010 08:36 PM
Whats the best exhaust system for a 2001 ford ranger xlt? ford Exhaust and Mufflers 6 06-20-2009 11:45 AM
Does a 1999 ford ranger 4x4 have a vaccum lock 4-wheel drive system or a... Ford Man General Tech 2 11-30-2008 07:01 AM
what is the best muffler/exhaust system i can put on my 2000 ford ranger equine_business Exhaust and Mufflers 1 11-29-2008 10:03 PM
Best exhaust system for a 2001 Ford Ranger Super Cab? ford Exhaust and Mufflers 3 11-29-2008 04:38 PM