Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 04-05-2017, 08:02 PM
KevKouf KevKouf is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 11
Default Door speaker advice for a noob! Please help.

Hey guys, I am in over my head with all the info out there on car audio. I am no audio snob but just want so extra umph from my car stereo.

I have picked up a simple double dinn pioneer head unit. it has 6 things in the back that can go to an amp one day and the rest seems to just plug into the wiring harness.

I picked up a cheap sub with built in amp. Got the amp install kit and it seems pretty straight forward.

Next up is getting some speakers for the doors. My understanding is 6x8 is the size I need. What is the max depth before we get into issues with our trucks?

Also, what is the simplest install? I see so much info on 2/3/4 way speakers coaxial vs component... I just want a modest upgrade. What type of speaker is in the truck stock? Will new ones be simple plug and play once I get the door panels off? Thanks in advance!

----------

I see these on a local ad

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-speakers/city...ationFlag=true

Any good?
__________________
2009 Ranger Fx4. Installed a new pioneer head unit and no name sub with built in amp.

Just bought 265/75/16 duratracs. Mounting soon!

More to follow.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-11-2017, 10:31 AM
RoberticusMaximus RoberticusMaximus is offline
<<< Husky the High Dog!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,974
Default Re: Door speaker advice for a noob! Please help.

i'll get you started ... i'm not expert, but i've fiddled quite a bit.

i'm sure those speakers in that link are an improvement over stock, but depending on your HU, might be more than you need to spend. no way for me to tell personally.

i don't know the exact depth, but i don't think you need to worry too much about the depth in the door. iirc there was plenty of room.

plug-n-play speakers: in pretty much any case, you will need to buy a pair of adapters that go from spades to the plugs that rangers come with. that will keep you from chopping off your connector. usually amazon will show them on the suggested products when looking at a set of speakers that fit fords.

2-way/3-way...- i have some 2 ways, and it's different but not better necessarily imho. but if you are like me (just want a little better) then they will be just fine i bet.

one more note, i have an extended cab ranger (2 door not 4 door), and i had to trim a bit for my new rear speakers to fit. big ass magnets lol. not sure if you have an ex cab or not.

Last edited by RoberticusMaximus; 04-11-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-11-2017, 08:09 PM
LikeARakk LikeARakk is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 23
Default Re: Door speaker advice for a noob! Please help.

I just got done doing a modest upgrade in my 99 XLT Standard Cab.

Two sets of Kicker KS 6x8s ($100 for 4 speakers)
and a Nano P.540 amp from sonic electronix to drive em ($100)
and I am pretty damn happy.

I don't have a sub yet so you got me beat there.

So, if you are looking for a cheap starting point you may consider a similar approach.
__________________
2.5L 5-Speed 1999 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-12-2017, 05:53 PM
KevKouf KevKouf is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 11
Default Re: Door speaker advice for a noob! Please help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeARakk View Post
I just got done doing a modest upgrade in my 99 XLT Standard Cab.

Two sets of Kicker KS 6x8s ($100 for 4 speakers)
and a Nano P.540 amp from sonic electronix to drive em ($100)
and I am pretty damn happy.

I don't have a sub yet so you got me beat there.

So, if you are looking for a cheap starting point you may consider a similar approach.

Where did you put the amp? Just so I am clear, you go from head unit to amp and then from amp to speakers... does this require a lot re-wiring or can you intercept the existing wires that go to all the speakers for a simpler install?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoberticusMaximus View Post
i'll get you started ... i'm not expert, but i've fiddled quite a bit.

i'm sure those speakers in that link are an improvement over stock, but depending on your HU, might be more than you need to spend. no way for me to tell personally.

i don't know the exact depth, but i don't think you need to worry too much about the depth in the door. iirc there was plenty of room.

plug-n-play speakers: in pretty much any case, you will need to buy a pair of adapters that go from spades to the plugs that rangers come with. that will keep you from chopping off your connector. usually amazon will show them on the suggested products when looking at a set of speakers that fit fords.

2-way/3-way...- i have some 2 ways, and it's different but not better necessarily imho. but if you are like me (just want a little better) then they will be just fine i bet.

one more note, i have an extended cab ranger (2 door not 4 door), and i had to trim a bit for my new rear speakers to fit. big ass magnets lol. not sure if you have an ex cab or not.

What do you mean by "spades"? first I've heard of that. Also, do you know what kind of speaker is in the truck stock? (is it a 2 way?). I've got a supercab btw.
__________________
2009 Ranger Fx4. Installed a new pioneer head unit and no name sub with built in amp.

Just bought 265/75/16 duratracs. Mounting soon!

More to follow.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-13-2017, 03:45 AM
RoberticusMaximus RoberticusMaximus is offline
<<< Husky the High Dog!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,974
Default Re: Door speaker advice for a noob! Please help.

Oh I just meant those generic spade connectors that you see on lots of electronic components... and the stock speakers are not 2 ways. Just a single cone
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-17-2017, 05:34 PM
LikeARakk LikeARakk is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 23
Default Re: Door speaker advice for a noob! Please help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevKouf View Post
Where did you put the amp? Just so I am clear, you go from head unit to amp and then from amp to speakers... does this require a lot re-wiring or can you intercept the existing wires that go to all the speakers for a simpler install?
I screwed straight through the carpeted cardboard type deal on the back wall into the body.

There are a few options here, you can run new speaker wire from the amp to the speakers. This is what I did because it is "recommended" you upgrade your wiring to something better than the stock wires for anything over 75W RMS. My speakers are 75W RMS but I wanted to go ahead and cover it.

An alternative is to run wires from the amp to the back of stereo and tap into the existing wires in the stereo wiring harness, this would be easiest because you just run straight to the stereo, and hook your new speakers up to the old wires your stock speakers were hooked up to.

I will try to remember to get a picture for you of the Amp location if you like. Let me know if you need more explanation on the wiring situation.
__________________
2.5L 5-Speed 1999 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-17-2017, 08:47 PM
KevKouf KevKouf is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 11
Default Re: Door speaker advice for a noob! Please help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeARakk View Post
I screwed straight through the carpeted cardboard type deal on the back wall into the body.

There are a few options here, you can run new speaker wire from the amp to the speakers. This is what I did because it is "recommended" you upgrade your wiring to something better than the stock wires for anything over 75W RMS. My speakers are 75W RMS but I wanted to go ahead and cover it.

An alternative is to run wires from the amp to the back of stereo and tap into the existing wires in the stereo wiring harness, this would be easiest because you just run straight to the stereo, and hook your new speakers up to the old wires your stock speakers were hooked up to.

I will try to remember to get a picture for you of the Amp location if you like. Let me know if you need more explanation on the wiring situation.
That makes a lot of sense actually, thank you. Given my lack of experience I will likely run the wires to behind the stereo and use existing wires for the time being. All that said, speakers may come first and amp down the road anyhow. It sounds like a lot of work, im mostly intimidated more than anything else haha.

If you can send over a pic of your amp location that would be great, may give me some ideas!
__________________
2009 Ranger Fx4. Installed a new pioneer head unit and no name sub with built in amp.

Just bought 265/75/16 duratracs. Mounting soon!

More to follow.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2 way, 3 way, coaxial, component, door speaker

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uber-Noob making plans - need some advice! Le Goat Audio / Video 4 01-01-2015 05:24 AM
Noob Door Question... Door Replacment fordguy101 Exterior Tech 3 10-12-2014 09:20 AM
Noob Questions. Need Advice ANTIHERO28 General Ford Ranger Discussion 22 05-06-2013 08:19 PM
New door speaker advice JFortner5 Audio / Video 17 04-25-2013 05:52 PM
New speaker questions /advice duckloads Audio / Video 3 11-20-2011 07:08 AM