Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 02-10-2015, 08:46 PM
rangerboo rangerboo is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 34
Default Aftermarket alternator?

So I have some power issues with my ranger. Bottom line every time my bass hits my lights dim pretty bad, to a point I got pulled over because the cop thought I was flashing my lights at him. So who has done an alternator swap and which would you recommend. I'm going to need a 200A alternator
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-10-2015, 09:05 PM
jarodbm3694 jarodbm3694 is offline
Love My '99
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 42
Default Re: Aftermarket alternator?

I have the same problem, though not quite as bad, have you upgraded your battery yet? I just got a 200A alternator off Amazon for $118. Hasent arrived yet, but I'll let you know after I have it installed also got some 0ga wire to upgrade the power and grnd connections.
__________________
1999 2.5L Ranger with Kenwood x498 deck, (2) 12" Kenwood shallow mount subs on a Kicker 1000w RMS amp. (4) 5x7 door speakers on 2ch 200 watt RMS amp. 200A alt, AGM battery, Big 3+, and 1/0 wiring. Turn signal mod, throttle pedal mod, air box mod and custom grill inserts.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-10-2015, 09:24 PM
rangerboo rangerboo is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 34
Default

Yeah I have a 1000w rms mono block alpine amp that pushes a RE SEX12D2 at 1000w. My lights dim really bad. I also plan on adding a 126w 20 in led light bar so that's more draw. I really am excited to hear about your alternator cause I need one!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-14-2015, 09:02 PM
jarodbm3694 jarodbm3694 is offline
Love My '99
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 42
Default Re: Aftermarket alternator?

So I finally got the alt and got it installed. Working good so far. Measuring output with my amp meter, playing a bass intense song at my max volume and lights on, it hit a max of 125A output so far, so its definitely out doing the stock alt and keeping up with demand. However when big bass hits I am still getting some headlight dimming, but not too bad. From all the research I've done so far, no matter how big the alt is, if there is voltage drop the headlights are going to dim as they're running from the alt output and just the nature of the alt its not putting out 100% all the time, it fluctuates as demand calls for it. So I may try a capacitor at the amp (I know a lot of people say they are worthless garbage, but I have seen installs where they do help with stuff like this) and its a lot cheaper and easier to try instead of a second battery as my single cab truck is VERY limited on space now oh and the other thing I might look in to is an overdrive pully to help at lower rpm. It came with a stock size and underdrive pully, which obviously I left the stock size on

This is the alt I got.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150213_104531.jpg (94.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 20150213_104538.jpg (93.0 KB, 35 views)
__________________
1999 2.5L Ranger with Kenwood x498 deck, (2) 12" Kenwood shallow mount subs on a Kicker 1000w RMS amp. (4) 5x7 door speakers on 2ch 200 watt RMS amp. 200A alt, AGM battery, Big 3+, and 1/0 wiring. Turn signal mod, throttle pedal mod, air box mod and custom grill inserts.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-15-2015, 01:15 AM
GLH GLH is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodbm3694 View Post
So I finally got the alt and got it installed. Working good so far. Measuring output with my amp meter, playing a bass intense song at my max volume and lights on, it hit a max of 125A output so far, so its definitely out doing the stock alt and keeping up with demand. However when big bass hits I am still getting some headlight dimming, but not too bad. From all the research I've done so far, no matter how big the alt is, if there is voltage drop the headlights are going to dim as they're running from the alt output and just the nature of the alt its not putting out 100% all the time, it fluctuates as demand calls for it. So I may try a capacitor at the amp (I know a lot of people say they are worthless garbage, but I have seen installs where they do help with stuff like this) and its a lot cheaper and easier to try instead of a second battery as my single cab truck is VERY limited on space now oh and the other thing I might look in to is an overdrive pully to help at lower rpm. It came with a stock size and underdrive pully, which obviously I left the stock size on This is the alt I got. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
What is your total RMS wattage of your amp or amps ?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-15-2015, 08:38 AM
rangerboo rangerboo is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 34
Default

I would also look into your battery. A good optima yellow top deep cycle battery can make the world of difference. I'm also doing a big 3 upgrade as soon as I have free time. I have 14 feet of 0 gauge and all the terminals too. I'm going to look into that alt because it looks nice and what I'm looking for! Congrats!

----------

And from my experience capacitors are junk. Save your money for other things like batteries
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-15-2015, 10:26 AM
jarodbm3694 jarodbm3694 is offline
Love My '99
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 42
Default Re: Aftermarket alternator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLH View Post
What is your total RMS wattage of your amp or amps ?
1200 watts
__________________
1999 2.5L Ranger with Kenwood x498 deck, (2) 12" Kenwood shallow mount subs on a Kicker 1000w RMS amp. (4) 5x7 door speakers on 2ch 200 watt RMS amp. 200A alt, AGM battery, Big 3+, and 1/0 wiring. Turn signal mod, throttle pedal mod, air box mod and custom grill inserts.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-15-2015, 11:40 AM
GLH GLH is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8,818
Default

You need to use 1/0 wiring and do the big 3 upgrade. I think you might have got ripped off with that alternator. 1200 watts should be no big deal at all for it. How old is your battery and what kind is it ? A capacitor is only a bandaid. Most Ranger charging systems can handle 1000 watts RMS without any issues.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-15-2015, 11:54 AM
rangerboo rangerboo is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 34
Default

My stock 2004 4.0 can't handle 1000 w rms because that's what I'm running and my lights dim badly. I run all 1/0, I'm going to do a big 3. It's not about the watts either it's all about the amps.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-15-2015, 04:56 PM
GLH GLH is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8,818
Default

I meant to use 1/0 wiring for the big 3. Not CCA wire. OFC wire. What is the total fusing in the amp or amps you have ? My stock alternator handles 1000 watts RMS sound easily, along with the rest of the truck electronics.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-15-2015, 05:09 PM
rangerboo rangerboo is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 34
Default

My amp pulls 100amps. I only have the stock 110 alternator so it can't handle it
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-15-2015, 08:07 PM
jarodbm3694 jarodbm3694 is offline
Love My '99
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 42
Default Re: Aftermarket alternator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLH View Post
You need to use 1/0 wiring and do the big 3 upgrade. I think you might have got ripped off with that alternator. 1200 watts should be no big deal at all for it. How old is your battery and what kind is it ? A capacitor is only a bandaid. Most Ranger charging systems can handle 1000 watts RMS without any issues.
I dont think I got ripped off with the alternator, its keeping up with my demand thus far, its not going to put out the full 200A unless its called for. My highest demand so far has been 125A which I was able measure the alt at that time and its putting out what is called for. I have done the big 3 and have a high capacity AGM battery that's only a year old.
__________________
1999 2.5L Ranger with Kenwood x498 deck, (2) 12" Kenwood shallow mount subs on a Kicker 1000w RMS amp. (4) 5x7 door speakers on 2ch 200 watt RMS amp. 200A alt, AGM battery, Big 3+, and 1/0 wiring. Turn signal mod, throttle pedal mod, air box mod and custom grill inserts.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-15-2015, 08:22 PM
rangerboo rangerboo is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 34
Default

What kind of sub and amp are you running?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-15-2015, 09:00 PM
GLH GLH is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerboo View Post
My amp pulls 100amps. I only have the stock 110 alternator so it can't handle it
Your amp has a 100 amp fuse ?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-15-2015, 09:12 PM
rangerboo rangerboo is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 34
Default

Haha noooo. 4 25 amp fuses.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
200a, alternator, cop, flashing, lights, aftermarket

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alternator help! 96rogerranger 3.0 Vulcan Tech 2 11-23-2014 07:23 PM
Alternator help? sanders.z Electrical Tech 4 01-20-2014 11:24 AM
new alternator?... tombstone6709 Electrical Tech 3 05-16-2012 01:30 PM
Ranger alternator switch to a mustang alternator for 302 question 2000ranger302 Electrical Tech 3 03-27-2011 04:49 PM
Alternator 19White99 4-Cylinder Tech 2 11-18-2010 02:40 PM