PDA

View Full Version : loss of low end power

muddyranger
03-08-2010, 10:58 AM
ok, i recently put some STL injector cleaner in my tank and imedeatly noticed that when i roll on the gas it keeps up just fine. but when i put er to the floor it gets to about 2 grand and bogs and jumps everywhere. like it's getting spurts of power all through 2500 to 5000 rpms. possibilities? i was thinking sparkplugs not burning efficiently, plug wires not sending well, clutch slippage(really dont know what that feels like so thats a swag)? any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS i did run that tank out and filled up with another because i thought the injector cleaner could have raised the octane and messed with it there:confused:

DHEM
03-08-2010, 02:05 PM
check the plugs, additives can leave a bunch of junk on them.

Jp7
03-08-2010, 02:26 PM
reset fuel trims after cleaning

muddyranger
03-08-2010, 08:00 PM
ok, so i was doing a little researching and i might have it figured. could it possibly be the Mass Airflow Sensor? i know that especially on the 4.0 it gets dirty or clogged or whatever pretty quick and then it reads the amount of air going to the fuel mixture therefor making it bog. they say to clean it every 25k. on the right track?

BigT8600
03-08-2010, 08:22 PM
If you have never cleaned it, and you have that many miles on your truck, then it sure as hell wont hurt to clean it. I cleaned mine. Didn't notice a lot that happened but it did have some mud in it. Here is a link regarding cleaning the MAF:
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/2218-mass-airflow-sensor.html

Coleosis
03-08-2010, 09:35 PM
same thing happened to me in a fullsize chevy after I ran it out of gas. Though it would sometimes stall out and completely die if I stomped on the gas. Replaced fuel pump and filter and it fixed it....Have you ran your truck out of gas lately? Cleaning the MAF would be a better place to start though.

muddyranger
03-09-2010, 09:56 AM
i'm definitely gonna clean teh MAF, think i'll replace the plugs and wires too. just to be sure. when they say "electronic parts cleaner" where can i get it?

also, where can i get some hex keys that have the hollow tips? are they specialized tools or just everyday and i'm being an airhead? lol

4.0fan
03-09-2010, 12:12 PM
haha.. they are a specialty tool but you can pretty much get it from any aauto parts stores..same with the electronic parts cleaner.. there is some stuff that is actually called MAf cleaner..just go to the auto parts store

Clinton
03-30-2010, 03:35 PM
I have cleaned my MAF because i had the same problem. You can clean the elctrodes by soaking it in white vinagar for 8 hours and use an air gun to dry it off. I did that a few times and even replaced the MAF and i still have the same problem. I got my hex keys at walmart, came with a bunch of different tips for an insert screw driver and works great.

Clinton
05-09-2010, 06:49 PM
ok, just so you know the problem was solved! turns out it had 1 bad coil, and the spark plugs were literally falling apart, now it runs great!