PDA

View Full Version : Down-Facing Sub

01 Ranger
02-23-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm thinkin of putting a 10" sub in my supercab and had a couple questions. I'm planning on doing a down-facing sub in a box that will fit behind the driver seat and allow the jumper seat to still fold down to full use. I just wanted to know what you all think of down-facing subs(how does it sound like that?), and how much space needs to be between the sub and floor? Anyone ever done this? Pics? Thanks.

2007BlackFX4
02-23-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm thinkin of putting a 10" sub in my supercab and had a couple questions. I'm planning on doing a down-facing sub in a box that will fit behind the driver seat and allow the jumper seat to still fold down to full use. I just wanted to know what you all think of down-facing subs(how does it sound like that?), and how much space needs to be between the sub and floor? Anyone ever done this? Pics? Thanks.

i doubt there is enough room UNDER the jumpseat (when put down) for a 10" sub.. i dunno tho.

as for down facing, from what i have heard its the second best option. this is what i have heard.. rear facing is the best then down facing then forward facing. i dont think i have ever heard of someone facing them up? i dunno it changes from vehicle to vehicle and sub to sub and box to box though. in the end its not much difference anyhow

Tom
02-23-2010, 11:47 PM
You could create a triangular box, have it lay flat, then the back side (by the jump seat) have it rise to 3-4 inches or whatever will fit, and then make the side by the driver seat taller. This way you can still fold down the jump seat, and the sub will be slightly angled to point towards the back wall.

Disclaimer: I'm no car audio expert so I'm not sure how efficient that is for sound quality etc.

DangaRanger
02-28-2010, 07:58 PM
i also have a super cab ranger and i have twin twelves in a custom box and if i slide it far to one side i can fold down one side jump seat but its cramped

Lord of War
02-28-2010, 08:35 PM
I have my 2 12's facing forward and they hit pretty hard. I think down facing are good as long as they have room to breathe. I dont think its good for the sub if its right on the ground, but I could be wrong.

I have always heard that the bass "sound wave" needs some room to bounce off walls to help with sound. Since our trucks are small anyway you install them they should hit hard.

DisturbedESV
02-28-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm gonna sound like a broken record but how often do you use both seats? If you have small kids the answer may be that you actually do use them but otherwise you can only really fit one person back there... so scrap the seat and put the sub where the seat was facing forward.

Fx4wannabe01
03-01-2010, 03:00 AM
I heard a 10" down facing sub in a ranger the other day. The sub was rated for more than mine and he's putting almost double the power to it....and IMO, sounded like ass compared to mine. And I'm only running a 12" hatchback sealed box and 400max watt amp.

And no, don't think there's the room UNDER a jumpseat for a down-mount. Insufficient volume for the sub is my guess.

jadavis1992
03-01-2010, 04:13 AM
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt191/jadavis1992/CIMG5429.jpg
Its a 10" it hits pretty hard, I have about 4-5" between the sub and the floor, My only complaint is i can't lean my seat all the way back. I did not make the box its a box a buddy of mine had for his Super Duty.

2007BlackFX4
03-01-2010, 09:38 AM
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt191/jadavis1992/CIMG5429.jpg
Its a 10" it hits pretty hard, I have about 4-5" between the sub and the floor, My only complaint is i can't lean my seat all the way back. I did not make the box its a box a buddy of mine had for his Super Duty.

duuuuuude nice amp haha