PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Running Infinite Baffle?

redwrangler
12-03-2012, 09:06 AM
So I got this idea last night. I am building a system in my 2001 Ford Ranger Single Cab. Ultimately I am planning on a 4th order blow through with either 2 15's or 2 18's, but in the meantime while I finish my door panels I wanted to add some substage. I have a few extra subs laying around and decided to cut a hole in the rear of the cab and mount the sub infinite baffle. It has a fairly high Q so it should work. Anyone ever done something like this before?

I've walled off trunks and run IB in the trunk of a car, but never in a truck and I think I'll have better results in a truck than in a car.

12-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Itt will weaken the cab. You have to have strongg braces weld into the cut out to kkeep it strong

Jonesboy93
12-03-2012, 03:14 PM
It'll sound better than nothing lol

redwrangler
12-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Itt will weaken the cab. You have to have strongg braces weld into the cut out to kkeep it strong

I plan on doing a little reinforcement! Thanks!

I probably won't get to do heavy reinforcement right away but I figure I can cut the hole, mount and install everything to do an initial test in about 30 minutes and will know if I should even consider pursuing it further.

redwrangler
12-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Well I got started on it tonight. Single 12. Got it test mounted for fit and fits perfect no leg room hindrance. My grinder is out of cut off wheels so I'll go to the store tomorrow. I'm not going to fiberglass it yet, just glue and deadened to test it out. Nothing permanent but the cuts...

owner of a 2001 2.5L

hergy916
12-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Are mounting the sub so it is exposed to the outside?

redwrangler
12-04-2012, 10:23 AM
No it is reverse mounted on the interior. I have to come up with a better shielding technique, but the front of the woofer is mounted on a baffle which is mounted on the back wall. So the woofer cone has about 2"s before being exposed to open air. It doesn't rain much here in Phoenix Arizona so I'm not immediately concerned, but I'll need to find a permanent solution to protect the sub from the elements.

redwrangler
12-04-2012, 08:55 PM
It's not perfect so don't be too hard on me yet. So far it's not 100% sealed off. It sounds very very musical. Great lower extension, super clean transition to the mids (Dayton rs-180's) and fantastic musicality. It lacks the punch that many people like but has a great smooth sound. Moves enough air to cause a sheet of paper in the window to blow a tiny bit. I imagine two 15's or 18's mount IB would do it. But this would be a great option for someone who wants some bass but doesn't want a box or to lose any leg room.

owner of a 2001 2.5L