PDA

View Full Version : Kicker 12" CVR's for a budget. Are they ok?

chetrog
09-10-2012, 10:46 PM
I am new to the forums, and have a couple of questions that I hope you guys can help with. I am thinking of buying a pair of Kicker CVR124 (10CVR124). I also am thinking of buying a HIFONICS BRUTUS BRZ1200.1D amp. This amp will connect the pair of subs with the mono amp to
2 ohms: 900 watts x 1 chan.

I guess my real question is how will this sound ? I ask because I have heard people these are great. I however hear people say that you shouldn't buy them. My friend can build a ported box for me. My truck is a 99 ford ranger ext cab. I listen to mainly rap music. I don't have a ton of knowledge about car audio "obviously" So I don't want to spend tons of money on buying stuff. Thanks for any information or suggestions.

Also I had a stroke 2 years ago, so if my words get mixed, its from that.

GLH
09-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Those Kicker subwoofers aren't good at all in a ported box. Kicker subs will perform much better in a sealed box, the larger the better.

If you must put them in a ported box, be sure the amp has a subsonic filter set 5 hz or less below the tuning frequency of the box/port, the steeper the slope the better.

----------

Also, those subs handle 150 watts RMS each. You need an amp that outputs 300 watts RMS @ 2 ohms. If you put them in a very small box, like 2-2.5 cuft total, they can handle more like 400 total. Anyway, 900 watts will fry them.

chetrog
09-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Any other subs that are close to the CVR's.

I really want a ported box. I would like 400 watts to 500 watts a sub. 1000 watts total. I only have a 95 amp alternator, so I dont wanna use to much power for now.

Thanks for the suggestion on the cvr's or on different subs.

727Designs
09-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Those Kicker subwoofers aren't good at all in a ported box. Kicker subs will perform much better in a sealed box, the larger the better.

If you must put them in a ported box, be sure the amp has a subsonic filter set 5 hz or less below the tuning frequency of the box/port, the steeper the slope the better.

----------

Also, those subs handle 150 watts RMS each. You need an amp that outputs 300 watts RMS @ 2 ohms. If you put them in a very small box, like 2-2.5 cuft total, they can handle more like 400 total. Anyway, 900 watts will fry them.

We sold Kicker for around 6-8 years, and they sound decent in a good ported box. Where you keep coming up with this Kicker sounds like crap in a ported box assumption is beyond me.

10-CVR124 was also rated at 400RMS, and the Brutus 1200 would work fine as long as the signal is clean. We used to pair them with ZX1500.1's.

ranger024x4
09-11-2012, 06:02 PM
We sold Kicker for around 6-8 years, and they sound decent in a good ported box. Where you keep coming up with this Kicker sounds like crap in a ported box assumption is beyond me.

just ignore him. he has proven many times he has not the slightest clue what he is talking about.

op, while the cvr isnt the best subwoofer in the world, they really arnt that bad. Ive had a few setups of these over the years, both in sealed and ported configurations... I always perfered them ported.

as far as other subwoofers go, I currently have 2 boston g3 10's in a ported box (tuned it pretty low at 32 hz) and they hit really nice.. actually they are well built, I am currently giving the pair 1000rms

727Designs
09-11-2012, 06:08 PM
just ignore him. he has proven many times he has not the slightest clue what he is talking about.

op, while the cvr isnt the best subwoofer in the world, they really arnt that bad. Ive had a few setups of these over the years, both in sealed and ported configurations... I always perfered them ported

The CVR is one of the only Kicker subs I actually really care for, and it's only due to the bang for the buck factor. For a sub that can be found every day for $70 shipped on eBay they are decent. Now, obviously, when you get much above that price range there is MUCH better that can be had, but for cheap beat for the average person I still give them credit.

My honest opinion though, I'd spend a few extra bucks for some Sundown E Series's, power them with something like the same BRZ he had planned, or you can save a little cash and go Audiopipe APSM1500 (Also proven VERY strong for the money, all the ones I have scoped have been clean right at rated power. Build a good quality box with a design from someone who knows what they are doing and you'd be in business.

Stewart
09-11-2012, 06:32 PM
My impression of Kicker subs is not very good. I tested out a few on display at BestBuy. Not only did the pre-loaded shallow 10" (that I'm glad I didn't get) sound miles worse than my 6.5" tube, the two 12" CVR's (IIRC) were smaller-sounding than one Polk DXI 12" next to it. Maybe it was because the large amount of space or the enclosures, but it didn't give me a good reason to want their stuff.

727Designs
09-11-2012, 06:35 PM
My impression of Kicker subs is not very good. I tested out a few on display at BestBuy. Not only did the pre-loaded shallow 10" (that I'm glad I didn't get) sound miles worse than my 6.5" tube, the two 12" CVR's (IIRC) were smaller-sounding than one Polk DXI 12" next to it. Maybe it was because the large amount of space or the enclosures, but it didn't give me a good reason to want their stuff.

Hard to judge anything you see on display in a sound room type area, not only is the cabin size so much different you never know who has been playing with the gains, head unit settings, etc, how hard it's been played, blah blah blah. Sound rooms are really more of a PITA than anything.

FFparker
09-11-2012, 06:38 PM
I had 2 10'' kicker cvr in my reg cab. Even though the box was really small it still bang pretty good. Good enough for people to ask me what I had in there.
The cvr is a good amount of bang for a good price in the proper box. I'd give them 4 out of 5 stars
Cvx on the other hand..Bang

Stewart
09-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Hard to judge anything you see on display in a sound room type area, not only is the cabin size so much different you never know who has been playing with the gains, head unit settings, etc, how hard it's been played, blah blah blah. Sound rooms are really more of a PITA than anything.

I played around with the HU myself, and I'm pretty sure the amp was hidden, but like I said the space that they were playing into probably had a bit to do with it (although if that Polk sub was chest pounding in there I'd like to hear it in a vehicle). :P

By the way I just came across you while lurking on the SMD Forums (reading Kryptonite's Blowthrough thread) :D

727Designs
09-11-2012, 06:44 PM
I played around with the HU myself, and I'm pretty sure the amp was hidden, but like I said the space that they were playing into probably had a bit to do with it (although if that Polk sub was chest pounding in there I'd like to hear it in a vehicle). :P

By the way I just came across you while lurking on the SMD Forums (reading Kryptonite's Blowthrough thread) :D

Lol I'm on nearly every audio forum out there. SMD I visit pretty regularly. Maybe I'll do a build log for my new setup on there. My current setup was thrown together for a few shows and I never got around to making one.

GLH
09-11-2012, 07:05 PM
I had 2 10'' kicker cvr in my reg cab. Even though the box was really small it still bang pretty good. Good enough for people to ask me what I had in there.
The cvr is a good amount of bang for a good price in the proper box. I'd give them 4 out of 5 stars
Cvx on the other hand..Bang

Was it a ported or sealed box ?

----------

My bad, those subs DO handle 400 watts RMS. Was thinking of the plain comp models. I would get a sub better suited for a ported setup and have a port-tuned enclosure made specifically for it and for the type music you listen to.

FFparker
09-11-2012, 07:10 PM
sealed.
Kicker comps suck

GLH
09-12-2012, 01:06 AM
sealed.
Kicker comps suck

Makes sense.

ranger024x4
09-12-2012, 04:00 AM
The CVR is one of the only Kicker subs I actually really care for, and it's only due to the bang for the buck factor. For a sub that can be found every day for $70 shipped on eBay they are decent. Now, obviously, when you get much above that price range there is MUCH better that can be had, but for cheap beat for the average person I still give them credit.

My honest opinion though, I'd spend a few extra bucks for some Sundown E Series's, power them with something like the same BRZ he had planned, or you can save a little cash and go Audiopipe APSM1500 (Also proven VERY strong for the money, all the ones I have scoped have been clean right at rated power. Build a good quality box with a design from someone who knows what they are doing and you'd be in business.

yep. exactly.

btw, i am running that audiopipe on the 2 bostons. pushes them nicely. not bad for a budget amp

chetrog
09-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Wow, didn't even know Sundown has an "E Series's". $109 each sounds great to me. I will have to try and find some more info on the internet.

727Designs
09-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Depending on your location if there is no dealers close by contact me. We are a big Sundown dealer and can get you good pricing but you'd have to add shipping. Probably only be worth it if the closest dealer would cost you a good bit in gas. It costs me around $18 to ship an E12.

chetrog
09-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Do you think the E-series Sundowns would be a lot better then the newer kicker cvr's. Or just a little better?

ranger024x4
09-12-2012, 02:00 PM
never seen an e series, but ive seen the sa series and i would bet that the build quality will be far better than kicker. usually all non 'mainstream' audio stuff is very well built.

727Designs
09-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Do you think the E-series Sundowns would be a lot better then the newer kicker cvr's. Or just a little better?

E series sound great, and get loud in the right box. I'd definitely choose them before the CVR. We put a good bit of power on E's with no issues at all. The cooling on them is far superior to the CVR, and Sundown customer service is top notch.

If you can afford the extra cash, go Sundown. You won't be disappointed.

chetrog
09-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I want to get this all installed and buy everything now, but gonna wait till I get payed again. I'm gonna go with the Sundown E series subs.

Stewart
09-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Since this is on the topic of Sundown (not to jack the OP), I was thinking about putting an SA-8 in the middle of my seats, but I'm not sure how it would fit. Most likely the sound would be ample but if it can't go in the middle of the seatbacks it can't go in my truck. I would like to stay away from shallows but I want to explore options other than the tube.

FRF for iOS

727Designs
09-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Since this is on the topic of Sundown (not to jack the OP), I was thinking about putting an SA-8 in the middle of my seats, but I'm not sure how it would fit. Most likely the sound would be ample but if it can't go in the middle of the seatbacks it can't go in my truck. I would like to stay away from shallows but I want to explore options other than the tube.

FRF for iOS

Could probably do a console box for it. Sub back, port back works well in that type of application as long as you save port width off the back wall so the port can load properly. Power would decide really how big to go, but I can tell you in a console on a Memphis PR1.1000 they work well in .75 ported with 14in^2 port per cube tuned around 35hz.

GLH
09-13-2012, 05:38 PM

FRF for iOS

A sealed box for it shouldn't need to be very large. Give it rated power and proper EQ, it should be great.

Stewart
09-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Porting a box is really the only thing I don't understand at all in the world of car audio... Even looking at a box builder program I don't know what to input and what is calculated from said input. I don't know what difference angled/curved, shape, interior boards makes. If I decide to do this it will not be any time soon though, so maybe by that time I'll understand...

...or get it made for me :P

GLH
09-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Porting a box is really the only thing I don't understand at all in the world of car audio... Even looking at a box builder program I don't know what to input and what is calculated from said input. I don't know what difference angled/curved, shape, interior boards makes. If I decide to do this it will not be any time soon though, so maybe by that time I'll understand...

...or get it made for me :P

Not really a point to it in the single cab because of space. A sealed box can be alot smaller. Ported box designs are all about the many sub parameters, box volume, cone displacement, port tuning, etc. If you decide to go ported, first decide on a good sub meant for a ported box, then decide on a tuning frequency you would like to achieve. There are some killer 8" subs out there...

Stewart
09-13-2012, 05:59 PM
That's why I wondered about the SA-8. It looks like a really solid sub and if done right it can move some air:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JINUGzPXh2U

leviranger
09-13-2012, 06:34 PM

I have 2 factory ford ranger cd players for sale, one on left has green illumation and one on right has blue LEDs lights, one on right is a tremor radio. 50 bucks each

Stewart
09-13-2012, 06:47 PM

I have 2 factory ford ranger cd players for sale, one on left has green illumation and one on right has blue LEDs lights, one on right is a tremor radio. 50 bucks each

You should definitely go here and post this. Don't be a thread jacker.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/classifieds/

727Designs
09-13-2012, 08:05 PM
A sealed box for it shouldn't need to be very large. Give it rated power and proper EQ, it should be great.

You don't want to put an SA8, especially a v2 into a sealed enclosure. They don't like them, at all. Performance just isn't there, the ported box for one can be small enough to easily be made into a console box.

GLH
09-13-2012, 09:29 PM
That's why I wondered about the SA-8. It looks like a really solid sub and if done right it can move some air:

Yep, that SA-8 is definitely meant for a ported box, tuned to as close to 35 hz as possible.

727Designs
09-14-2012, 03:46 PM

Sean's car get's loud! He's the owner of SundownOnly.com. I've seen that thing go through several setups over the years, but the 8's seem to be what he likes.

If you get me dimensions and let me know what you're powering it with and all that fun stuff I can help with a box design if need be, or if you want to try it for yourself follow the guidelines I listed on page 2 and just make proper adjustments for power depending on if you're using more or less.

I'll try to get a video of Matt's Mazda from the shop, has 2 SA8v2 SPL coils in a 4th order blowthrough off a single Mojo 2k. Gets down, and digs LOW for higher Fs subs (SPL coil is aluminum, lighter moving mass on equal motor force = higher Fs.) Meters nicely as well.