PDA

View Full Version : dome light problem

clawsonj
01-17-2010, 01:10 AM
my lights stay on constantly. door opened, door closed, switch in all three different positions. i dont know what to do. some people tell me spray wd40 on the push button on my door jam but it doesnt work, ive done it. i just keep bulbs out of it and i have to use a flashlight if i need something out of it at night.

please help!:eek:

aaron_ariens
01-17-2010, 01:14 AM
Is your dimmer switch all the way up past the "click"?

clawsonj
01-17-2010, 01:20 AM
no ive done that too. off and on, the only light that goes off and on is my cargo light that lights up my bed lol

aaron_ariens
01-17-2010, 01:21 AM
Dang, I thought I was really going to be smart for a minute man.

clawsonj
01-17-2010, 01:23 AM
haha thanks anyway, i appreciate it

aaron_ariens
01-17-2010, 01:24 AM
For sure man, if anything pops into mind I'll post up.

clawsonj
01-17-2010, 01:27 AM
cool :)

7pomonakid
01-17-2010, 01:47 AM
this is a ranger thing my truck has the same thing

clawsonj
01-17-2010, 01:51 AM
if i swap it out for a mustang one or something, do you think that'll fix it?

mcpink
01-17-2010, 05:23 AM
Has it done this since you got the truck, or is it a recent development?

clawsonj
01-17-2010, 12:20 PM
when I bought the truck 5 months ago it didn't have bulbs in it. so i bought bulbs and put them in and bam! there's the problem. wouldn't go back off so I just took them back out

mousetrapfool
01-17-2010, 08:08 PM
I have the same problem.
When all the doors are closed...sometime the light stays on, but then again, sometimes it doesn't My ranger is temperamental.

clawsonj
01-18-2010, 12:53 PM
well it's pissin me off lol
I have to use a frickin flashlight to see at night lol

mcpink
01-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Maybe the dimmer switch is shot? I guess you could always tap a switch into the wiring and just keep it off until you need the light.

clawsonj
01-18-2010, 06:09 PM
idk man, i might just sell the damn truck lol

mousetrapfool
01-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Well if you ever figure out how to get it fixed...let me know!!

Tom
01-27-2010, 01:35 AM
my lights stay on constantly. door opened, door closed, switch in all three different positions. i dont know what to do. some people tell me spray wd40 on the push button on my door jam but it doesnt work, ive done it. i just keep bulbs out of it and i have to use a flashlight if i need something out of it at night.

please help!:eek:

Just to clarify, I recommend SOAKING the door jam while periodically interrupting the soaking to SLAM the door. With enough soaking, and enough slamming, you might get something done.

greyghost
01-27-2010, 01:39 AM
might have to take the panel off and soak or replace the switch from inside the door?

clawsonj
01-27-2010, 02:01 AM
idk i'm about to buy an interior light from the trailer section at walmart and just wire it to a switch lol

ToddC
01-30-2010, 09:50 AM
My '96 Ranger has always had this issue. Sometimes it behaves, but for hte most part it's an irritant for which you already know why. Here's something that might be acceptable to you: Take the Dome light shade off. There should be three screws. Unscrew the forward(?) middle(?) longest(?) one, with the dome light in the full light position, continuing until it turns off. Now try the driver's and then passenger light positions. They should still work for you. Then replace the shade.

You won't have the full light, but it's better than the mini-lights, which still reside in the console. My girlfriend appreciates it also, in that she has more light to go with the aftermarket lighted visor attachment I got for her.

dripdoc
01-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Do you guys know the light is on a 20-25 sec delay? I got all excited when mine worked sometimes, but I can't trust it so I pulled #27 fuze.

TheStig
01-10-2011, 01:50 PM
its the switch in the door....

either soak it and slam the door a few times (many times)

or take the door panel off and replace the switch

its not hard just really tedious....had the same problems on my 96 a few months back
luckily it was fixed with some silicone spray and slamming

@Dripdoc...

yes there is a delay...dunno how long but i know if i open my drivers door after driving, the light doesn't go off immediately

modelageek
01-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Do you guys know the light is on a 20-25 sec delay? I got all excited when mine worked sometimes, but I can't trust it so I pulled #27 fuze.

spray all the door latches with wd-40

dripdoc
01-11-2011, 03:07 AM
Hey guys, I fixed my dome light problem. :star:
I took my passenger side door panel off and found the pin switch that works the dome light on my 97 ranger. I couldn't get it to just turn and come out like the directions said, but I was able to wd 40 the hell out of it and through trying to get it out I must have worked it loose cause the light is going out now. There is no delay when the pass side door closes, but there is a 20 sec delay when the drivers door closes to give you time to find your key (I guess). There is no delay when the engine is running though (when warming it up in cold weather ect.) There is a way you can determine which door is the culprit. If the door light AND the chime noise are also stuck on, it's the drivers door. If just the domelight is sticking, it's the passenger door. Door panels are easy to remove and the switch is not hard to find if you follow the wire to it. In my case, the only wire in the door. Good luck guys :D