PDA

View Full Version : Possible Cylinder head problem

camille
10-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Just bought a 1998 2.3l 4 banger with engine problem. I need your advice/help to figure where to start.

Problems:
Engine starts with very very rough idle.
No trace of water in the oil.
A lot of steam/water comes out of the tail pipe when engine is on.
Notice radiator is completely empty.

Can this be a cracked cylinder head or just gasket problem?

Thank you for your help

colt
02-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Just bought a 1998 2.3l 4 banger with engine problem. I need your advice/help to figure where to start.

Problems:
Engine starts with very very rough idle.
No trace of water in the oil.
A lot of steam/water comes out of the tail pipe when engine is on.
Notice radiator is completely empty.

Can this be a cracked cylinder head gasket (http://www.car-stuff.com/cylinderheadgasket.htm) or just gasket problem?

Thank you for your help

bump!

Hello there. My uncle is also experiencing this kind of problem and we're both wondering if you were able to fix this engine problem. It was about last week when my uncle is going to a near supermarket then he noticed the rough idle on the engine start and also water came out of the tail pipe. Anyway, can you please share to me if you were able to fix it or not and how did you deal with it. I'll appreciate other suggestions or solutions to this issue.

sgtsandman
02-04-2011, 06:48 AM
You will get some water out of the tail pipe until the exhaust system heats up. The only way to be sure there isn't a gasket or head problem is to pull the head off and take a look at it for cracks or and issue with the gasket. It is possible to have a coolant leak that doesn't show up in the oil.

merlin215
02-04-2011, 07:06 AM
Could be just the head gasket as well ...

Sgtsandman is right , pull the head and check it out ....

I heard a while back that some heads are known to do this ? You may want to chekc some older postings as well ...

Psychopete
02-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Best bet would be to pull the head and have it looked at and reworked by a machine shop.

Narrow down the miss and look at the plugs, compression test - low compression, head will most definitely need taken off to see why. Leak down test would be the best way to diagnose.

kampendmk
02-12-2011, 11:12 AM
I had water coming out of the tail pipe gas fumes coming out radiator had check engine light p301 code truck ran terrible idle rough went autozone bought K&W Nanotechnology permanent head gasket & block repair sealer for $20.00 added to engine ran for 30 minutes drained waited 12 hours filled radiator started truck up ran like a brand new engine i couldn`t believe it this stuff really works I have a 2.5 4cyl 1999 ford ranger

kampendmk
05-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Still running great

kampendmk
07-15-2011, 03:52 PM
up date still running great