PDA

View Full Version : Problem starting my 2000 Ford Ranger Pickup?

cakey1953
12-16-2008, 01:41 PM
The truck was starting fine, then one day, I turned the ignition key and all I got was a single click sound. The battery is fine, the connections are tight. It simply does not turn over....just the one click. Could this be my starter motor? I whacked it with a hammer, but that didn't work.

SoccerDad
06-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Hi, my dad is having about the same issue. After his truck has been running for 4+ hours it will not start at all. All of the lights come one and the radio comes on, but the truck will not turn over at all. It he lets the truck sit for a couple of hours it will turn over and start just fine.

The guy at the shop replaced the timing belt for some reason, but that did not help at all.

Did you ever find a solution to your problem? Or does anyone know of a solution to my dad's problem?

cspeir
06-29-2009, 10:54 AM
it sounds like your dads problem is a flat spot in the starter motor. i had a car that did it and the only thing i could do was replace it.

as for your problem cakey, check your ground connection and if thats good then you might take it to auto zone, etc. they can test them. if its a five speed you should be able to roll start it, assuming your ground is alright

motherb6
09-17-2010, 09:03 AM
could be the solonoid switch on the starter

ranger5572
09-17-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm thinking the solenoid as well. Turn the key on and bridge the wires together on either side of the solenoid. It will sound like its starting normally. If it starts the solenoid is bad.

JUSTA40RANGER
09-17-2010, 11:49 AM
well if it clickes every thing has power that it cant be the solinoid it has to be the starter its probally locked up

ranger5572
09-19-2010, 07:30 AM
everything wills till have power even if the solenoid is bad. Ever hear the clicking when you try to start a dead battery? That's the solenoid. The click you have could very well be the solenoid as well. I'd start with checking that first. No since replacing the starter if the solenoid is what's bad. Solenoids are cheaper...and easier to change.

JGiddy
09-20-2010, 03:36 PM
well the last time that happened to me it was due to corrosion on/in my negative battery cable. It had built up to the point there I was only getting enough current to turn all the electronics on (and get the solenoid 'click') but not start the motor.

alzzz
08-08-2011, 08:43 PM
As far as your dads problem I am having the same issue ..I have replaced the crank sensor and fuel pump relay and still does it..If it was flat spot on starter why would it start at all after sitting a couple hours ..thats exactly what mine does still trying to figure it out too

jtoney1959
11-23-2012, 01:08 PM
same problem with my 2000 ranger. some days the starer will operate on the first try every time. But, sometimes I only get a single click of the solenoid and may have to turn the key more than a dozen times to get starter function. every 4 or five turns of the key then causes the door locks to cycle. The starter and charging system both test ok at Auto Zone, but it never malfunctions when I'm there. The ignition switch felt rough so I changed it, but didn't fix this problem.

DanielThornburg
11-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Could be the neutral safety switch. Happened to me in my old car one time.

Try to turn the key to "on", but don't start the truck.

Press the brake pedal down, put the truck in neutral, then try to start it.

If it starts, then it's the neutral safety switch.

Spidey2011
11-23-2012, 01:21 PM
same problem with my 2000 ranger. some days the starer will operate on the first try every time. But, sometimes I only get a single click of the solenoid and may have to turn the key more than a dozen times to get starter function. every 4 or five turns of the key then causes the door locks to cycle. The starter and charging system both test ok at Auto Zone, but it never malfunctions when I'm there. The ignition switch felt rough so I changed it, but didn't fix this problem.

Holy grave dig, batman!

To answer your question, it sounds like you have more then a starter problem. I think you have an electrical gremlin.

SoccerDad
11-23-2012, 07:09 PM
FYI.

My dad finally got his problem fixed by replacing the starter.

I have a 1998 Ford Ranger XLT that would randomly have troubles starting. What ended up being the problem with my truck was that one of the screws for the shifting column worked its self loose; so the truck was never really going into park (for some reason if it sat for a while it would go into park). I finally found out that it was not going into park because I was looking under the hood and my truck started rolling backwards. Also, if I put the truck in neutral it would start just fine.