PDA

View Full Version : gettin cold!!!where's my heat?

12jjs12
10-15-2009, 03:54 PM
2007 ranger v6 4.0l-

changed thermostat, no change
heard clicking under hood, sounds like a/c is staying on, when you put the
heat or cold air on it comes out as a/c. unplugged the compressor and the air isnt as cold, but there's still no heat. any ideas?

thanks,
jeff

littleblue
10-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Make sure you got all the air out and coolant is topped off.

Redrocket
10-15-2009, 05:09 PM
mm might be a bad heater control valve. pop the hood and find the heater hoses coming out of the fire wall follow them down and you will find a valve it will have 4 hoses total hooked to it might have to change it out also. make sure the little vac line is still hooked up to it. you could also try holding the litte arm closed thats on it to see if you get heat then.

maverick1970
10-20-2009, 07:32 PM
I have a 1998 4 cylinder 2.5L automatc Ranger and my heater isn't working either. I thought it was a thermostat problem, because on the way to work Monday morning with the temps in the low 30s, it took approx 40 minutes before the temp gauge rose to normal and the heater air got hot. Assuming that the t-stat was stuck open. And then in the afternoon with the ambiant temps in the 60s, the temp gauge was normal while moving but jumped to nearly H when stopped, so it wasn't opening enough.

With those symptoms, I decided to replace the t-stat. I did that today and now the temp gauge will not go above the C and the heater remains blowing cold air. FYI... I did flushed the radiator. The two heater core pipes are hot along with the upper radiator hose. It acts as if the new t-stat is stuck open. Oh and get this, I took the old t-stat and put it on the stove with boiling water and it works fine. Opens in the boiling water and closes when dropped in cold tap water.

I am completely clueless as I've worked on other vechiles with similar problems and the t-stat replacement normally fixes it. Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jeremy/Jackson,GA

modelageek
10-21-2009, 05:54 AM
Did you install this t-stat. Thermostat- Motorcraft
F8CZ-8575-AA. I went thru a few tstats until I installed this one. Plus it must be installed propery so it seats correctly and does not let coolant blow by it.it works fine now plenty of heat but I am still going to put carfboard over my rad in a few weeks. These engines run cool

maverick1970
10-21-2009, 05:59 AM
Did you install this t-stat. Thermostat- Motorcraft
F8CZ-8575-AA. I went thru a few tstats until I installed this one. Plus it must be installed propery so it seats correctly and does not let coolant blow by it.it works fine now plenty of heat but I am still going to put carfboard over my rad in a few weeks. These engines run cool

No I didn't install a Motorcraft t-stat. I went to Autozone and bought one they had on stock.

I did a test last night around 11PM EST to see if the the thermostat was working. With the motor cold and the upper radiator hose off, I started the motor and watched for coolant to come out of the upper radiator hose. It took approx 4 - 5 minutes before coolant to start coming out of the upper radiator hose indicating that the t-stat started off closed but then opened up once the temp got hot enough.

So I've got no heat and temp gauge not changing.

modelageek
10-21-2009, 06:18 AM
The reason I suggested the t-stat is because you said "it feels like the t stat is open all the time". The first thing I would do is make sure the truck warms up properly. Once you have that figured out and you still don't have heat. Then we can diagnose further. FYI. These motors have coolant running thru the heater core all the time. Regardless if the t stat is open or Closed

davidjsouth
10-21-2009, 06:28 AM
Or just dress warm!

modelageek
10-21-2009, 06:43 AM
So you are saying your temp gauges are working and your truck is not warming up. I would bet if you put the tstat I recomended in it will work. You installed the tstat correctly. Did it come with a seperate rubber gasket?

modelageek
10-21-2009, 06:53 AM
So you are saying your temp gauges are working and your truck is not warming up. I would bet if you put the tstat I recomended in it will work. You installed the tstat correctly. Did it come with a seperate rubber gasket?

modelageek
10-21-2009, 06:58 AM