PDA

View Full Version : 2006 ford ranger 4wd problems?

theothermofo
12-10-2008, 03:20 PM
I have a 4wd drive ranger with 20,000 miles. When I engage 4wd high it feels like i'm hitting speedbumps. when it first started it was hitting hard now it has eased up a little. i drove it in the snow and when i would feel it the rear tires would break loose and the truck would go sideways. I have the truck at the dealers now but i would like to know if anyone has seen this before

chinkeyes247
12-10-2008, 03:20 PM
yes in my 250 all i did was take the front wheels off pull the front hubs out and re pack them with wheel bearing grease or chassis grease. its pretty easy. if you engage 4 wheel a couple of times a year before winter it should keep them greased and you wont have that prob again

Heliguy
12-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Hey, I found this site while looking for a soution to the same problem! I have a 2005 FX4 and it does the same thing. When I drive down the road in 4X4 it feels exactly like I am driving over a small speed bump or a large crack in the road. If the roads are slick the back end of the truck kicks sideways. It does this on an irregular basis at speeds only above 60km/hr, approx 40mph. I have had it happen on ice, snow, mud, gravel, you name it. Every mechanic that I have told spoken to about this looks at me like i have 10 heads. Have you had any luck or figured anything out?? Thanks

05RangerEdge
12-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Both of those people were guest it looks like and this is a really old thread I doubt they will answer but if you hang out for a while I am sure someone can point you in the right direction. You may want to check out the Drivetrain section too ----> http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/

Welcome to FRF!

TerrenceStuart
12-16-2010, 09:33 AM
how does a "guest" get to make threads or post comments?
Never trust any "guests"
"guests" are nothing but trouble.
maybe a mod can answer how a "guest" can post or make threads.

05RangerEdge
12-16-2010, 09:36 AM
how does a "guest" get to make threads or post comments?
Never trust any "guests"
"guests" are nothing but trouble.
maybe a mod can answer how a "guest" can post or make threads.

Yeah I never understood that. But i don't see it to often so its prob not an issue.

Heliguy
12-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Ill check out the drivetrain section. thanks!

dixie_boysles
12-16-2010, 01:47 PM
i have an 06 and mine is nice and smooth, so something is up. Matter of fact if i go to the truck right now, its engages as we have ice on the ground.

But like said above, make sure you take it somewhere to engage it every once in a while to keep it lubed up. NEVER engage on dry pavement or soemwhere that doesnt allow the wheels to slip somewhat. you will bind the system and break something when you turn the wheels

drummerman
12-16-2010, 06:54 PM
I have an 04 Edge, says in the book that its normal for it to make noise when engaging on the fly. Long as the speed is below 54 MPH.

Heliguy
12-17-2010, 07:50 AM
Ya I have read the book a few times. This is not a shifting problem.

hpubben
01-31-2014, 08:05 PM
I also have a 2006 ranger with the same intermitent clunk with the 4x4 disengaging Did anyone figure out the problem