PDA

View Full Version : V8 swap question and hope someone can help

RANGERRIDINHIGH
05-07-2011, 08:05 AM
What i got it a 2001 ranger, 4.0l, 4x4... And a 97 mountaineer 5.0l awd, bought a new 4r70w tranny.. I have both engines pulled. My problem is in the firewall of my ranger, there are 2 square plugs and in the mountaineer, there are 3????? What now???? At a stand still............ Help....

Airtruksrus
05-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Have any wiring info on either vehicle? Can be one of the biggest headaches during the swap.

richarddhoward
05-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Have any wiring info on either vehicle? Can be one of the biggest headaches during the swap.

x2, how about pics as well please. They help a lot!

rwenzing
05-07-2011, 03:12 PM
What i got it a 2001 ranger, 4.0l, 4x4... And a 97 mountaineer 5.0l awd, bought a new 4r70w tranny.. I have both engines pulled. My problem is in the firewall of my ranger, there are 2 square plugs and in the mountaineer, there are 3????? What now???? At a stand still............ Help....I would avoid the connector mismatch at the firewall by retaining the original Ranger engine bay harness. The 42-pin connector of the Explorer engine harness will plug right into the Ranger bay harness but it will need minor repinning to get everything working. Get EVTM wiring manuals for the correct year Ranger and Explorer. About $10 each on eBay.

Problem #2:
The 97 Explorer/Mountie engine uses a supply and a return line for the fuel system with a pressure regulator on the fuel rail. The 2001 Ranger is returnless with a regulator in the tank and a single supply line up to the rail.

Either the Ranger needs to be converted from returnless to return or the Explorer engine needs a bunch of parts changed to make it returnless.

RANGERRIDINHIGH
05-08-2011, 07:32 AM
thanks.. i knew about the whole fuel line issue. and im just swapping whole entire dash now from mountaineer to the ranger with harness and just gonna cut another hole for the harness to go through firewall so it will be just like it was in mountaineer. lot of work but im not cutting or splicing into the harness or repinning.

RANGERRIDINHIGH
05-09-2011, 10:43 AM
well that isnt working either.. somewhere along the line im missing something