PDA

View Full Version : Winch mount ???

MotoJunkie
03-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Has anyone mounted a winch carrier on a westin brush guard ? Its the same concept as any other winch carrier or winch bumper ? Its all attached to the frame.

MotoJunkie
03-15-2011, 06:25 AM
so either its a dump question or no one knows the answer .

dixie_boysles
03-15-2011, 06:26 AM
dk man

brinker88
03-15-2011, 07:39 AM
I would make a crossmember to bolt to the frame with a hitch reciever in it. Then go and get a hitch reciever winch mount...That way you can have front and rear winch capabilities..>That's what Im planning on doing.

MotoJunkie
03-15-2011, 08:08 AM
I would make a crossmember to bolt to the frame with a hitch reciever in it. Then go and get a hitch reciever winch mount...That way you can have front and rear winch capabilities..>That's what Im planning on doing.

I was thinking of doing the same thing but is it hard to do that ?

WearyTraveler
03-15-2011, 08:36 AM
http://www.jcwhitney.com/front-mount-receiver-hitch-and-accessories/ford-ranger-2002/c2342d658y2002j1s23.jcwx?_requestid=3397847

You can buy front mount receivers for rangers. If you do not trust your fabrication skills.

MotoJunkie
03-15-2011, 08:39 AM
http://www.jcwhitney.com/front-mount-receiver-hitch-and-accessories/ford-ranger-2002/c2342d658y2002j1s23.jcwx?_requestid=3397847

You can buy front mount receivers for rangers. If you do not trust your fabrication skills.

My question is, will that hitch stick out where my liscence plate is or will it be under my bumper ? The hitch guy at the local shop said they only sell front hitches that go under the front bumper.

brinker88
03-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Under bumper. I have 1/4" thick mounts on my brush gaurd. Im going to tie the crossmember/ hitch reciever in to the mounts so the brush gaurd/hitch can be removed as one whole unit. It will be bolted to the frame with four 1/2" bolts with steel lock nuts, not nylon lock nuts so it will never come loose. I'll post some pics up when I get it finished

MotoJunkie
03-15-2011, 09:13 AM
That would be good. I could just buy a winch bumper... $820. ouch !

brinker88
03-15-2011, 09:30 AM
I got my brush gaurd for free and the steel will probably be close to free including getting it welded up :)

SB03Ranger
03-15-2011, 09:31 AM
That would be good. I could just buy a winch bumper... $820. ouch !

theres one winch bumber for only 500 guy on here i think its "birdman78" or sumn. i cnt find his pics at the moment his looks awsome ive ben debating get one like his. ive seen some hitch mounts that come out between your tow hooks prolly have to relocate your license plate.

MotoJunkie
03-15-2011, 09:48 AM
theres one winch bumber for only 500 guy on here i think its "birdman78" or sumn. i cnt find his pics at the moment his looks awsome ive ben debating get one like his. ive seen some hitch mounts that come out between your tow hooks prolly have to relocate your license plate.

I'm fine with relocating my plates. My thing was if I could just weld on a winch bracket to a brush guard . Seems like I could. thats what Westins new winch guard is. They just added a flat plate to there brushguard. Only thing is of course they dont make it for a ford ranger. Just an f-150.

SB03Ranger
03-15-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm fine with relocating my plates. My thing was if I could just weld on a winch bracket to a brush guard . Seems like I could. thats what Westins new winch guard is. They just added a flat plate to there brushguard. Only thing is of course they dont make it for a ford ranger. Just an f-150.

Yea i know what your talking about i wouldnt mind doing that to my brushgard to. mine is a hunter tho. Ive allways wanted a winch but i dont c how the ones from the westins work and hold it up?. what kind is yours?

MotoJunkie
03-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Yea i know what your talking about i wouldnt mind doing that to my brushgard to. mine is a hunter tho. Ive allways wanted a winch but i dont c how the ones from the westins work and hold it up?. what kind is yours?

I have a westin brush guard. There is a flat cross bar that looks like you could weld or even drill large holes and put big bolts through the winch carrier and crossbar. I think warn trans4mer is the same concept. It hooks up to the brush guard not the truck its self.

The brush guard is connected to the frame and the winch is mounted to the brush guard. Seems logical .

----------

I looked more into westin sportsman. The winch tray is just bolted on the brushguard. Surely if you weld on a winch tray or just bolt it on, it will hold.

A winch bumper is no differant , other than looking cool. Same thing happens with a winch bumper. Winch isnt connected to the truck, just to the bumper.

SB03Ranger
03-15-2011, 03:04 PM
yea you would think so. mine conects to the frame were it runs under the bumber and conects up near the tow hooks. it doesnt conect between the bumber and the grill? is that how yours is. kinda seems scary that it wouldnt hold pulling the truck with a winch

KF5EQV
03-15-2011, 04:54 PM
I have a Westin Brush guard too (as of today! HUZZAH!) and I don't think you would want to just bolt/weld a winch tray to the guard. The way mine connects (under the bumper and valance) it seems like the weight would bend or break the mounting brackets or at very least, warp the guard.

I think a hitch between the tow hooks is the best idea. Too bad there isn't a pre-fab winch tray that bolts into place using the same bolts the tow hooks use for us non-fabricating drivers.

Twisty
03-15-2011, 06:33 PM
This one is RAD!!!
$300
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ford+ranger+winch+bumper&view=detail&id=84C18DF2D02FE2BDDECC60E5D27080CFF52ACA95&first=1&FORM=IDFRIR

Notice how the line of pull is directly in line with the frame rails.
Mounting a winch higher than the frame rails is not wise.

----------

http://www.kenmtnac.com/WiRanger.html

SB03Ranger
03-15-2011, 06:55 PM
I have a Westin Brush guard too (as of today! HUZZAH!) and I don't think you would want to just bolt/weld a winch tray to the guard. The way mine connects (under the bumper and valance) it seems like the weight would bend or break the mounting brackets or at very least, warp the guard.

I think a hitch between the tow hooks is the best idea. Too bad there isn't a pre-fab winch tray that bolts into place using the same bolts the tow hooks use for us non-fabricating drivers.

thats way i was thinking. i dont c how in the world my brush guard would handle that at all. it just dont seem to have ne support? and pulling 4300lbs out is lot i just dont see it working.

KF5EQV
03-16-2011, 08:33 AM
This thread (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/fabrication-tool-tech/11329-custom-winch-bumper.html) has an interesting idea. I think I'll probably do something along these lines. It is definitely better than bolting a winch to the brush guard.

MotoJunkie
03-16-2011, 01:05 PM
thats way i was thinking. i dont c how in the world my brush guard would handle that at all. it just dont seem to have ne support? and pulling 4300lbs out is lot i just dont see it working.

Then how does Westins do it, with their new one ?

SB03Ranger
03-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Then how does Westins do it, with their new one ?

Got me beat, ive wondered that. casue ive looked those to before i bought the one ive got now. but I wouldnt feel safe trying it on mine it just doesnt look right. Seems to me like there would have to be some sort of support conecting to the frame for it to work? but thatsjust what i think?