PDA

View Full Version : Speakers

PStalls
09-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Just got a new 2003 Ranger ext. cab and am looking to replace the speakers. I already have a new Pioneer head unit with 4x16 RMS. I am wondering if the 16 RMS produced by the head unit is enough to get a good sound? OR Should i buy a cheap 4x50 RMS amp. Also how much better is the amp option going to be? Thanks hope to hear back...

With Head Unit power only: 4 of these... http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19076

OR

This amp and these speakers: 4 of these...http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19137
and this amp...http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=21016

Jay FX4
09-22-2009, 03:35 PM
16 watts RMS is not that much. My head unit puts out 20, and it gets pretty loud, but the bass will start to clip out if it gets too high. Plus 16 watts is not even coming close to taking advantage of what good aftermarket speakers can handle. I'd get an amp. Remember, an amp is not just for volume. It provides a much cleaner and more powerful signal than any head unit can put out. Your sound quality will be that much better with an amp.

Buddythetruck
09-22-2009, 04:41 PM
I don't know anything personaly about the speakers, but if I were to redo my sound system, I would get some alpine speakers.
www.sonicelectronix.com is a great bargin site.
My experiance with my pioneer amp has been pretty good.

The amp- From everything I have ever read, soundstorm is a piece of junk.
I have a sony HU and infity 6X8's. My head unit is supposed to do 22w rms, and it sounds pretty good. It sure gets loud enough and clear enough to shake the door panels. You can feel the base throughout the entire panel.

Bottom line: Get some nice quality speakers and you won't *need* an amp. Buy speakers with the potential to take much more power and you can upgrade to an amp later if you want

PStalls
09-22-2009, 07:23 PM
So your saying that i shouldn't go with pioneer? and i know that soundstorm is juck but wouldn't if fit my needs with just a little power for 6x8's. i dont what to shake down the house, just have some good sounding, semi-loud speakers, with some bass(no sub). Is there a better setup to accommplish this? let me know what speaker setup you guys have...

ps- i ant rich :) i have a budget

TwistedDreams
09-22-2009, 07:53 PM
^pioneer makes without a doubt the best cheap 6x8 speakers available. However, Infinity Kappas 6x8's have models rated as high as 100RMS, and those speakers are the loudest and clearest speakers available for mazdas/fords. You should get the 3way speakers and the amp you posted, it's a fair match, but a subwoofer would definitley be the ultimate choice. Even paired with the STOCK speakers, just the head unit, sub, and mono channel amp can get pretty loud and sound clean.

sonicelectronix.com is the best place to go, I deal with them all the time, being that there wearhouse is 5 minutes away. lol

Just be sure to lower your bass on your speakers if you get a sub... Bass is the leading cause of blown door speakers kids.
-TD

billyjo21
09-22-2009, 10:16 PM
dont get pioneers

TwistedDreams
09-23-2009, 08:02 AM
^why not? they make undoubtedly the best decks, but I've always gone with there base line speakers, they seem to hold up pretty well.
-TD

vista4.0
09-23-2009, 08:19 AM
ya ive never had problem with pioneers speakers. They sound great for someone on a budget too.

Jay FX4
09-23-2009, 08:23 AM
The Pioneers in my sig will provide all the bass you need and then some.

TwistedDreams
09-23-2009, 12:40 PM
^yea I'll second that because I have cheaper pioneer's than that right now and they sounded great without a sub.
for the price if you match those with an amp they'll sound pretty damn good.
-TD

dixie_boysles
09-23-2009, 12:45 PM
i had the 5x7 pioneers in my old truck as well in my current truck and i love them!

DannyG
09-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Pioneer are some of the best "cheap" speakers out there.

I have always ran them in all my vehicles!

Head Units are a different story, get something with a little more base RMS.

billyjo21
09-23-2009, 10:11 PM
i went through two pioneer sub in less than like two months and i wasnt even pushing many watts

TwistedDreams
09-23-2009, 10:22 PM
^were the RMS watts matched between the sub and amp? and be careful to jump to yes, because OHM impedance plays a huge part with watt ratings.

^^my Pioneer head unit is putting out 22RMS pre-amped and it sounds pretty good, however I can't really argue because my speaker amp will be 75RMS per speaker. but without a doubt in my opinion the pioneer head units are the best looking and working units out there, with the best features.
just my opinion though, you really can't go wrong with any aftermarket head unit.
-TD

Jay FX4
09-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Don't know how true it is, but I've heard some of the Pioneer HU's have had some reliability issues....

TwistedDreams
09-24-2009, 03:11 PM
^I just got mine, but my brother and his friend have had the same HU and transfered it through various cars for over 5 years and have never had a problem.
And I have heard only the opposite from the few people I've talked to about it, but it's still possible I guess. However I have the opposite opinion.
-TD

West
09-24-2009, 03:16 PM
I've had the same pioneer HU for probably about 2.5-3 years now and it hasn't had any issues. My first pioneer HU however after about 1.5 years started to have the display flicker on and off occasionally because the contact from the flip down screen were getting bad.