PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Problem

lil_monkey_2000
07-16-2009, 05:11 AM
I have a '94 Ranger with 130k miles.
Sometimes my truck will not start. It used to only happen on really hot days and now it will happen at random times. I lived in TX and NC. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel pump relay switch. I have taken it to a shop and they couldn't get it to fail to start. I can wait a few hours and it will start up with no problem. After replacing the relay switch, when it doesn't start, I can turn the ignition and hear the fuel pump activate; before I don't think that it always would. The starter will engage but will not turn over. It really just sounds like it isn't getting any fuel.
Any suggestions?

pendelton
07-16-2009, 03:23 PM
my 94 does exactly the same thing.next time it happens pop the hood and give the black box that holds the relays a good wack.i'll bet you will here the feul pump come on and it'll fire up.there is a bad conection somewhere in that box.ours are not the first one's i've heard about with this problem.as far as the starter engaging but not turning over thats a whole diferent subject

lil_monkey_2000
07-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks, It seemed to work. Did you do anything to fix it or did you just live with it?

pendelton
07-17-2009, 03:02 PM
naw i just live with it.it will act up for a few days then might go for 2 mos before it does it again.i found the wire that feeds the fuel pump and jumped it with the ignition on and was able to start it that way.so i know i can allways start it if the banging trick fails to work.good luck

lil_monkey_2000
07-18-2009, 06:23 AM
So does the relay just get the fuel pump started? How does it run while driving if there isn't a good connection?

pendelton
07-18-2009, 04:22 PM
i really don't know.mine has never quit after it's been started.if it does i'll deal with it then