PDA

View Full Version : V8 into a 1997 Ranger

pwilliams90
08-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Hello, my name is Philip, I’m in the Navy and I live in Washington. I am new to this forum and have a few questions.
I have a 1997 4.0 V6 4x4 ranger and I want to swap to a explorer 5.0 V-8 302 engine. Do I need to get a 1997 model of the 302 engine, or does it matter? I have the stock automatic transmission, so would I need to change the transmission as well? If so what kind would I need? Would the 4R70W auto tranny be a good choice? If so, would I need anything else with that? What else would I need to swap/get to have my truck running great? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

More_Cowbell
08-08-2010, 12:56 AM
i would find a v8 explorer 97 or older(98 is when they added the passive anti theft stuff to it if i remember correctly) that has been totaled in a wreck or something and use the engine and transmission from that in your ranger because you cant put your tranny on a 302 but if you have the complete explorer it should just a plug and play engine swap basically just make sure you switch out the ECMS and i think everything is in the exact same spot on the engine bay

and asfar as a diffrent transmission i would get a t-5 or t-56 but that just me i prefer a manual over an automatic

pwilliams90
08-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Thank You, I will look into that.