PDA

View Full Version : V8 transplant into 1984 Ranger Questions???

JEFraze
08-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Hello,

I have a 1984 Ranger 2wd with a 4 cylinder and 4 speed Transmisssion. I am thinking of droping in a 302 V8 however I have some questions.

Does the 1984 ranger have more or less room in the engine bay than the 1990's and 2000's Rangers?

And what would be the best manual transmission to but behind the 302, remember that its 2wd so I dont have to worry about the transfer case.
I really like the I deal of a standerd transmission and shreading tires all day long!

Thanks.

More_Cowbell
08-04-2010, 09:27 PM
they all have the same size engine bay roughly and all are based on the same frame platform and the best transmission would be either a Tremec T-5 (what fox body mustangs use) or an early T-56(newer mustangs use that and its a six speed) i guess you could go for a 4 speed like a T-10 if you wanted to aswell

JEFraze
08-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Ok if that is the case then what would work would be to pick up an old fox body mustang or mercury capri with a 302 and 5speed T5 and drop the whole drive train in the Ranger.

That souunds like the eaisest soultion.

Psychopete
08-05-2010, 05:19 AM
I did mine piece by piece, so it's up to you.. Getting a donor may be cheaper tho. Lots use the Ranger clutch hydralics and add an external slave cyl on the T5.

The length is usually the bear, even with getting a radiator tucked into the core support. If I had to do it over, I would have gone w/ a 5.0L with the shorter front end dress.

Most recommend using mustang convertible mounts, swapping them side to side, and drill/slot the cross member. Swap plates work, but they are kind of a PITA. Some also have used steel plate to mate the engine to the stock mounts.

If you find a set of swap headers, and they are Hedman's, part # 89500, be sure to research them before buying.

More_Cowbell
08-05-2010, 10:44 AM
also try and get an explorer belt system because its very small and gives you the most room in your engine bay and you can keep a mechanical fan