PDA

View Full Version : cranks but wont stay running

sscrash
06-21-2009, 01:33 PM
my son has a 87 ford ranger 2.3 it will run as long as you hold the key in the start position but as soon as you let it go it dies we have tried everything i know of but im not that good with fords any answers to this problem would be gteatly appreciated

98blownranger
06-21-2009, 04:35 PM
do you have fuel ? spark?

sscrash
06-21-2009, 07:36 PM
yes till we let off the ignition then it wont continue to run still have fuel at this point but it acts like you just shut off the key again not real schooled in fords trying to get this up and running for him with no luck i know the green wire out of the coil stays hot as soon as you key it up not sure if it is suppose to or not with tester on it no juice at all pull away the tester and it is hot again solid thanks for your reply

RAT Ranger
06-22-2009, 05:18 AM
Ignition switch...............you can test it by runnin a jumper wire from the hot side of the solenoid to the coil, if it runs fine, then you will have to pull that wire off to kill it, but you will know the problem, if not, then not sure..............

sscrash
06-22-2009, 07:50 AM
already tried that but thank you for your reply

RAT Ranger
06-22-2009, 02:59 PM
already tried that but thank you for your reply
================================================== =
So you've put constant power to the coil & it still dies?

mrphdvr
06-22-2009, 06:59 PM
try the "idle air control valve". My wifes went out a few years ago and I could start her explorer and keep it running with my foot on the gas but as soon as I took it off the engine died, just like you are describing.

stdprm11
07-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Agreed. Had the same problem you are describing with my '97 4-cyl Ranger. Replaced the Idle Air Control valve and started right up with no subsequent problems.

mr.ranger
07-17-2009, 10:11 PM
hopefully it the idle air control valve, if not you may have trouble finding the problem......
god, i love diagnostic checks...