PDA

View Full Version : I need some assistance

southern_BOI2014
05-12-2014, 03:26 AM
I have a 97 Ford ranger xlt, 5spd.. and I went to da shop and dey told me I need front end work.. do my truck my 2 upper/lower control arms?? I been lookn on the for some and can't find none.. anyone kno a site

dangerranger94
05-12-2014, 06:22 AM
I have a 97 Ford ranger xlt, 5spd.. and I went to da shop and dey told me I need front end work.. do my truck my 2 upper/lower control arms?? I been lookn on the for some and can't find none.. anyone kno a sitewhy would you need to control arms? Are they bent? You probably just need the bushings

southern_BOI2014
05-12-2014, 06:56 AM
I prolly am gon need jus da bushings.. what bout da steering box?? How u kno wen das bad?? Dis my 1st Ford ranger.. don't kno 2 much on em

Futurefd
05-12-2014, 06:59 AM
u kno da bad wen yo prolly dont kno how to type.

Perhaps, if you where to type a coherent train of thoughts will full words.

If you trust the shop have them do the work that is required. if you are in doubt and have no mechanical experience get a 2nd opinion.

southern_BOI2014
05-12-2014, 07:01 AM
Do I need the radius bushing?? Is it hard to replace??

----------

I kno how to type, I jus short hand my words.. but das besides da point..

Futurefd
05-12-2014, 07:04 AM
There is a good change you need radius bushings. I let mine go for too long, then i needed a new radius arm and assembly, much more $ and much harder.

with the age of the truck, you probably need them done.

as far as the steering box, what seems to be the problem with it? does it just make noise? does it not operate correctly?

Again i would say that if you trust the shop let them do the work. Though a 2nd opinion may not hurt.

----------

----------

I kno how to type, I jus short hand my words.. but das besides da point..

No it is the point. It makes i easier on those who want to help to be able to easily figure out what you are trying to say.
Posts here are like the words you use and how you use them in the real world. People will make conclusions if they want to deal with you based on it.

long paragraphs, rambling on and on and "short hand words" wont get you far in a forum.

Just my $0.02

southern_BOI2014
05-12-2014, 07:05 AM
My steering wheel is not sitting at 12..it has play in da wheel

Futurefd
05-12-2014, 07:07 AM
Do you have a solid front axle?

Play in the wheel could be a box, or a steering linkage.
not sitting at 12 can be fixed by an alignment.
Every vehicle i have owned has had play in the wheel, i just got use to it as it was not much.

southern_BOI2014
05-12-2014, 07:13 AM
My steering wheel is sitting at 10 right now to drive straight.. it pulls to the right of I let the wheel go.. I told the shop about it and told him I needed an alignment.. he came back and named alot of things I prolly don't really need for them to make money off me..

----------

He did said something about my center link and steering link.. are they the same thing, just a technical name or what??

Futurefd
05-12-2014, 07:13 AM
That can happen. An alignment can fix the wheel at 10, and fix the pull.

However i know when i went for mine i needed the radius arm bushing replaced to make the alignment happen.
Did you take it to a "chain" place or a local ma/pop place?
I would say get a 2nd opinion. When it comes to an alignment components all work together... bushings etc but some shops will go to extremes (chain places in my opinion)

I had one shop want to replace my steering box cause it was seeping.... that was 3 years ago, i just add a little power steering juice once in a while.

southern_BOI2014
05-12-2014, 07:19 AM
Ima take it to another shop and see what I really need.. but bushings I would probably need and tie rod ends need replacing

Futurefd
05-12-2014, 07:26 AM
Here is a pic of the steering on our trucks:
http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0996b43f/80/21/19/f6/medium/0996b43f802119f6.gif

i could see how the center steering link could need replaced. much like a tie rode end. Perhaps they are being straight with you.
How many miles on the truck? Could be legit

----------

the steering links look like they have ends like tie rods. I would not doubt if they are shot. Specially if the previous owner was rough on the truck.

----------

the alignment guys i know are anal, cause their reputation goes with every job they do. If you change a tie rod then the truck has to be realigned. so they try to be pro-active on parts that are bad or will be shortly.

southern_BOI2014
05-12-2014, 09:57 AM
I have 205,000 miles on the truck..

----------

I know they not trying to scare me, but want me to get it fixed before it cause some serious damage

cvar
05-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Do I need the radius bushing?? Is it hard to replace??

Bushings are an easy job. See http://imgur.com/a/BkzJc

Make sure you change your RA bushings before getting an alignment, cuz worn out RA bushings do indeed screw up the alignment. They might well be your entire problem?

BTW, your '97 predates control arms, so doesn't have any CA.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/front_suspension.shtml

southern_BOI2014
05-12-2014, 10:18 AM
But my steering wheel have play in it.. It's sitting at 10 and not 12

Futurefd
05-12-2014, 10:27 AM
i would replace what the shop is suggesting, you or them could do the work. then get an alignment.

southern_BOI2014
05-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Ima check it myself 1st

bigfisher
05-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Lol at the horrible typing. I wouldn't help you because if you can't take the time to type correctly so someone can read the paragraph, why should I spend my time trying to help you

cvar
05-12-2014, 11:28 AM
But my steering wheel have play in it.. It's sitting at 10 and not 12

+1 what Futurefd said.

Worn radius arm bushings will not cause steering wheel play. Excessive play (eg, 2" steering wheel slop) is only from worn out Ball-Joints/Tie-Rods or else maybe steering box (but far less likely). Does it wander on the roads? Or always veer to 1 side? Pointing at 10 vs 12 is not important (except perhaps annoying to some drivers), and is usually straightened during alignment by adjusting tie-rod lengths.

Your 1997 is likely overdue for both RA bushings and ball joint replacement.
BTW, please add a signature line (via User CP) so ppl know which specific vehicle you need help with.

southern_BOI2014
05-12-2014, 03:41 PM
My truck pulls to the right and how would I know the steering box bad??

AnythingCanHappen
05-12-2014, 03:57 PM
My truck pulls to the right and how would I know the steering box bad??

Go get the alignment checked

cvar
05-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Go get the alignment checked

+1.

A competent mechanic checking your alignment would first verify that your BJs are OK, and otherwise he'd suggest replacing them. You'd hope they also know enuff to check RA bushings? If these things are worn out, they won't bother with alignment, cuz it can't be aligned properly & so he can't offer a warranty on work.

Only after everything else has been checked & replaced would I even bother to consider the steering box (ie, VERY unlikely).

Avoid that 1st mechanic who said your (non-existent) control arms need work.

southern_BOI2014
05-12-2014, 06:48 PM
Thank u so much