PDA

View Full Version : Fm transmitter

01DangerRanger
04-21-2010, 06:32 AM
hey guys, this i a little like zwilson07's thread but not completly the same. i have the stock 6 cd radio in my truck and i dont use cds at all so i was just going to get a fm ransmitter for my ipod touch. here is one that i would like to get. http://cgi.ebay.com/FM-Transmitter-Car-Charger-for-iPhone-3GS-3G-iPod-TOUCH_W0QQitemZ190360552174QQcmdZViewItemQQptZOthe r_MP3_Player_Accessories?hash=item2c525f82ee i was wondering if one like this is wireless or it plays through the cigeret lighter? i know it charges it but i just want to know how it plays to the radio? thanks, pat

prestidigitizer
04-21-2010, 07:03 AM
FM transmitter means it broadcasts your iPod output on an FM radio frequency, so you tune your vehicle radio to that station to hear the iPod. Lighter socket is used only for power.

I'm not familiar with that particular model - I currently use a bluetooth-to-FM gateway device for my phone.

01DangerRanger
04-21-2010, 07:15 AM
FM transmitter means it broadcasts your iPod output on an FM radio frequency, so you tune your vehicle radio to that station to hear the iPod. Lighter socket is used only for power.

I'm not familiar with that particular model - I currently use a bluetooth-to-FM gateway device for my phone.

i was looing around and found one that people liked. i just dont want to get something that has bad quality sound. Amazon.com: GOgroove FlexPod+ Car Mount System with NEW Signal Intensifying FM Transmitter and Charger for Apple iPhone 3G / 3GS / iPod / touch / nano / classic - Hands-Free iPhone Call Capability - DC Grip-Stabilizing Mount Design and Surge Protection: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41WswgaYb7L.@@AMEPARAM@@41WswgaYb7L

prestidigitizer
04-21-2010, 07:26 AM
i was looing around and found one that people liked. i just dont want to get something that has bad quality sound.

I've used three different FM transmitters in different vehicles, and they all seemed to have pretty good sound as long as they are configured to broadcast on a quiet place on the radio dial. That can, of course, change as you drive from place to place, and in some areas can be tough to find.

olfordtruck
04-21-2010, 07:31 AM
Are you located around a dense city area in FL? I know with me living in Virginia Beach the radio traffic is packed. After 3 FM transmitters I have given up because even the biggest gapped silent FM signal is not vey clear here. So, if theres a ton of radio stations where you are then I do not reccomend it. However, my newest one works great when im in northern VA in the boondocks so thre is plenty of free quiet space in the FM airwaves.

Conclusion:
City= No transmitter... invest in a good stereo with iPod hookup
Country/ sticks= Go for it!

Hope my ranting is helpful!

prestidigitizer
04-21-2010, 07:54 AM
Are you located around a dense city area in FL? I know with me living in Virginia Beach the radio traffic is packed. After 3 FM transmitters I have given up because even the biggest gapped silent FM signal is not vey clear here. So, if theres a ton of radio stations where you are then I do not reccomend it. However, my newest one works great when im in northern VA in the boondocks so thre is plenty of free quiet space in the FM airwaves.

Conclusion:
City= No transmitter... invest in a good stereo with iPod hookup
Country/ sticks= Go for it!

Hope my ranting is helpful!

x2 very good points

01DangerRanger
04-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Yea I live in a dense city. Why would a lot of stations make the signal not good? Is there anyway to get a cord threw the back and play it like that?

prestidigitizer
04-21-2010, 08:32 AM
Why would a lot of stations make the signal not good?

Because your transmitter is broadcasting on FM radio frequencies with limited power, so unless there is a quiet spot on the dial, radio stations will interfere. Even if your transmitter overcomes a station, there will still be clashes of that sound like static.

Is there anyway to get a cord threw the back and play it like that?

Not sure - I'm not familiar with your head unit. My stock head unit has an auxiliary input, but I think that's a recent addition. Maybe someone else can answer you an that one.

Twiztid1
04-21-2010, 09:04 AM
I have had good luck with removing the factory antenna in populated areas. Not as much interference.

edgeman4.0
04-21-2010, 09:09 AM
OR... you can drop the extra coin and get an fm modulator to get it done right the first time.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/isimple-universal-ipod-mp3-cable-w/video-and-12v-socket-adapter/p2023369.jcwx?TID=8014524FT2&utm_source=Google_Product_Search&utm_medium=CSE&utm_content=product-32091G&zmam=15972153&zmas=18&zmac=129&zmap=32091G

01DangerRanger
04-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks for this great advice guys. My friend has a wireless thing and I'm gunna barrow it for a couple days and c how it holds up.

olfordtruck
04-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Not sure how attached you are to your stock stereo but once you start spending money on the best possible FM transmitters the you would be better off getting a good single deck stereo with direct USB hookup. My 6 CD changer stopped working correctly 2 years ago so I just put a cheap stereo in. Soon im gonna personally invest in a high quality Pioneer deck with iPod, HD radio, bluetooth, and CD to work with my 4-way Pioneer speakers...

In other words, you will end up upgrading your system in the future so why not use the money that would go into a FM transmitter that may not get great signal and use it towards a new unit that hooks up directly and had amazing sound quality. Thats just my opinion.

05RedRanger
04-21-2010, 10:10 PM
My Pioneer deck cost me 140 bucks at Wal-Mart and I have USB hook-ups for my iTouch. Also has an aux input. Do it right the first time JMO.

DisturbedESV
04-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Amazon.com: Griffin Technology iTrip FM Transmitter for iPod (White): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/314ASDFPEPL.@@AMEPARAM@@314ASDFPEPL This is the one I have now and it works pretty good. I used to have a Sony one that had a magnet to ground to your pass. seat rail and plugged into the cigarette lighter for power. That one was the best but too many wires all over the place. This one is small and draws power from your ipod, but I've never noticed any difference in battery life. A lot of transmitters limit the station options to the beginning and end of the dial but this one has an international setting so you can pic any FM station, including even ones (not that that helps though). Here in Seattle it's SUPER crowded on the dial so I have to change the station depending on what part of the city I'm in, and I've found keeping it closer to the head unit helps signal quality. If you don't plan on listening to anything else I've heard taking your antenna off helps the truck pick up only your signal since it's the closest (granted this seems silly and I've never tried it). Anyway... hope this helps!

01DangerRanger
04-23-2010, 08:12 AM
yea i barrowed a fm transmitter like that, i does have a good sound qualtiy but its a lil hard to find a plcae to get that good sound. im probably going o go with the transmitter i posted earlier in the thread. thanks for trying though

olfordtruck
04-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Good luck with whatever you try! Never know when one will work in your particular! Hopefully the first one you try is the right one! Took me till my 3rd that cost $75 to get a decent sound quality. lol

01DangerRanger
04-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Good luck with whatever you try! Never know when one will work in your particular! Hopefully the first one you try is the right one! Took me till my 3rd that cost $75 to get a decent sound quality. lol

yea hopefully i do get something that will work good. if the first one dont work im just going to get a new radio :D thanks for the great advice

05RangerEdge
04-23-2010, 03:39 PM
OR... you can drop the extra coin and get an fm modulator to get it done right the first time.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/isimple-universal-ipod-mp3-cable-w/video-and-12v-socket-adapter/p2023369.jcwx?TID=8014524FT2&utm_source=Google_Product_Search&utm_medium=CSE&utm_content=product-32091G&zmam=15972153&zmas=18&zmac=129&zmap=32091G

X2

I asked this question a while back and after much feedback from here and others I decided that I would not invest in an fm transmitter.

I am gonna get one of these I think:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-T7kYZYd7ikt/p_142FMMOD02/Scosche-FM-MOD02.html?search=fm+modulator

$50 aint bad but I think bestbuy has it even cheaper. I just haven't got around to purchasing it. If i get it soon I will let you know how it works out.

Tom
04-23-2010, 03:44 PM
X2

I asked this question a while back and after much feedback from here and others I decided that I would not invest in an fm transmitter.

I am gonna get one of these I think:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-T7kYZYd7ikt/p_142FMMOD02/Scosche-FM-MOD02.html?search=fm+modulator

$50 aint bad but I think bestbuy has it even cheaper. I just haven't got around to purchasing it. If i get it soon I will let you know how it works out.

$27 on Amazon w/ free shipping & no tax:

Amazon.com: Scosche FM-MOD02 FM Modulator for iPod, Satellite Radio or Portable Music Player: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FlfG0XoiL.@@AMEPARAM@@41FlfG0XoiL

05RangerEdge
04-23-2010, 03:46 PM
^ I thought i saw it somewhere cheaper. I just looked at Bestbuy and they didn't have it. Thanks

01DangerRanger
04-23-2010, 06:10 PM
thanks guys ill check that out, i was just at walmart and was looing at radios and was one that had aux plug in and usb plug and looked nice had no cd thing and i didnt want cd thing. it was only 40-50 bucks it said it was 50 watt. i saw that some others said 50x4 watt. would the one that had 50 watt be good?

olfordtruck
04-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Most standard radios are 50 watt and about 22 watt RMS. Do you know who it was made by? Im currently looking at the Pioneer DEH-P7200HD for my truck. Its pretty much got everything I could every need besides a 7 inch screen.

01DangerRanger
04-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Most standard radios are 50 watt and about 22 watt RMS. Do you know who it was made by? Im currently looking at the Pioneer DEH-P7200HD for my truck. Its pretty much got everything I could every need besides a 7 inch screen.

yea i didnt look at it to close, im gunna go back and check it out. i dont know who makes it and not much about it. it aint on walmart website so i cant show u it there, but when i find out who makes it ill show u it.

olfordtruck
04-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Okay sounds good!