PDA

View Full Version : 97 speaker size

GMGarrison
03-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Hi, I'm planning on buying 4 Rockford Fosgate punch speakers for my truck but I'm not sure of the size of the speakers that I'd need.

IDM
03-05-2014, 04:17 PM
6x8 is the stock speaker size for doors and behind the seats. 5x7s also work.

mazdaman
03-05-2014, 05:24 PM
You can use 6 1/2 " speakers with an adapter plate

GLH
03-05-2014, 06:09 PM
You can use 6 1/2 " speakers with an adapter plate

But why would you do that when 6x8's fit without modification ?

IDM
03-05-2014, 06:18 PM
But why would you do that when 6x8's fit without modification ?

x2. Preach!

mazdaman
03-05-2014, 06:37 PM
I use components in my systems , I like the sound of a 6 1/2 in mid bass with a separate tweeter . I mate this with a 12" sub in a sealed box . I recently changed trucks , but due to the cold here I cant install my system. once it warms up I will install my system , of course I will take lots of pictures to post

GLH
03-05-2014, 07:52 PM
I use components in my systems , I like the sound of a 6 1/2 in mid bass with a separate tweeter . I mate this with a 12" sub in a sealed box . I recently changed trucks , but due to the cold here I cant install my system. once it warms up I will install my system , of course I will take lots of pictures to post

There are very nice 6x8 component sets that fit. Theoretically, more cone surface area = better bass, mid or otherwise, given same materials and quality. What 6.5" component sets do you use ?

mazdaman
03-05-2014, 08:04 PM
These are the speakers that I will be running in my truck , the ones I have are at least 6 years old , they still sound great . I have used them in two vehicles , the truck I have now will 3. http://dls.se/en/car/prod.html?produkt=en_581

GLH
03-05-2014, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE="mazdaman;2056684"]These are the speakers that I will be running in my truck , the ones I have are at least 6 years old , they still sound great . I have used them in two vehicles , the truck I have now will 3. http://dls.se/en/car/prod.html?produkt=en_581[/QUOT

Those look good ! I like the tweeters are large silk and crossed fairly high @ 5000 hz.

GMGarrison
03-05-2014, 09:33 PM
I really need to learn more about this it seems like you guys are speaking a different language lol. But my friend is helping me out, he has rockfords in his car and I really like them so I decided I should get some for myself. I just got a really nice Kenwood deck so it's going to hopefully sound really nice! But thanks guys! I'm hoping to get these soon

GLH
03-05-2014, 10:54 PM
I really need to learn more about this it seems like you guys are speaking a different language lol. But my friend is helping me out, he has rockfords in his car and I really like them so I decided I should get some for myself. I just got a really nice Kenwood deck so it's going to hopefully sound really nice! But thanks guys! I'm hoping to get these soon

The RF's will sound good if they are amped externally from the headunit. The headunit doesn't really have enough power to make them sound like they are designed to sound.

GMGarrison
03-06-2014, 06:56 AM
The RF's will sound good if they are amped externally from the headunit. The headunit doesn't really have enough power to make them sound like they are designed to sound.
Yeah that's what my friend told me. He has his running off of just the deck in his car but they'd sound much better running off of an amp. I plan on getting four RF for the truck then saving up and buying a 300watt 4 channel RF amp as well.

GLH
03-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Yeah that's what my friend told me. He has his running off of just the deck in his car but they'd sound much better running off of an amp. I plan on getting four RF for the truck then saving up and buying a 300watt 4 channel RF amp as well.

OK but just know there is no need to match component brands. There might be another amp for less or better match for the speakers.

GMGarrison
03-06-2014, 03:42 PM
OK but just know there is no need to match component brands. There might be another amp for less or better match for the speakers.
I know, I just know people whom I can trust that give amazing reviews on RF so I figured I'd just stick with it

GMGarrison
03-06-2014, 05:48 PM
My friend told me to ask if I could fit a 6x9 in my truck if at all possible

GLH
03-06-2014, 08:14 PM
My friend told me to ask if I could fit a 6x9 in my truck if at all possible

Not without cutting sheet metal. 6x8's are 1" shorter. No big deal nowadays when we have simple sub solutions for the low bass.

----------

I know, I just know people whom I can trust that give amazing reviews on RF so I figured I'd just stick with it

It's a fad, much like Kicker or Memphis. Kicker has some of the best amps made, however.