View Single Post

Old 08-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Ford Motor Co

Default Re: Engine pinging/rattling on acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by imonfireagain94 View Post
I will get on alldata at school in the next couple days and print out the page with the year rangers that had coil packs that got revised later on. I will post the part numbers on here. I know mine had a revised one. Whether it was installed or not since my truck has been around is another question. (TSB= Trouble Service Bulletin that ford puts out to all technicians so they know that if a vehicle comes in with that problem, thats the first thing to look for)
You mean: (TSB)= Technical Service Bulletin

----------

Mine just started pinging a few days ago. I am going to buy and put in some octane booster and see if that works. If not I'll do more seafoam in the gas tank, and I am looking into getting a new coil pack since I have had a slight miss in my engine ever since I bought it. Not a big one just can feel the jump(or miss) when I'm idling. I just want to get better gas milage since prices are on the rise again here in Everett (seattle area).

----------

Heres something from another forum online I found. It may work, I remember my dad doing this to his cars and trucks and I think he did it for the same reasons, Post is as follows and I only post this as a suggestion not a definate answer to stop pinging
"I had a similar problem in my Courier (remember them?) Pick up, and my nephew had it in his '94 Ranger. Turned out the noise was caused by carbon chunks built up on the piston tops, etc. The cure: a VERY little bit of water induced into the air intake. It will go into the cylinders cause steam which will dislodge the carbon, and problem gone!! For a long time! I paid the Ford dealer to cure mine, but when the mechanic came back in about 15 minutes with my truck fixed I asked what he did, and he told me: Open up the air intake, at the carb top or in your case, the throttle body by removing the air intake hose. With a squirt /spray bottle, with the engine running at,, about 1500 -2000 rpm, squirt a little water into the throttle body air inlet. Just a little bit, say 1/2 squirt. wait a little for the rpm to stabilize, and repeat, 2-3 times. Use only about a teaspoon or less, TOTAL, of water. We did it to my Nephew's Ranger, and fixed it for free

Naturally, if you blow up your engine, it's all your fault, and I claim no responsibility. I just told you what I did, I didn't tell you to do it too

Good luck
Plasti Dip grill, bumpers & Wheels, Air Box Mod, Throttle cable mod,Removed Mudflaps & rear seats 100 Watt Driving Lights, night shade tails Red LED dash lights, new LED dome light, blinker mod Black on Black Trim by choice