View Single Post

Old 08-10-2012, 05:54 AM
Ford Ranger Driver

Default Re: Platinum vs. Double Platinum Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop View Post
Today I installed DOUBLE your pleasure platinum plugs and removed the old single platinum plugs.

Now it impossible to report how the singles worked when they were new. However, my engine had developed a slight vibration/shake at idle which was very annoying to this gear head.

I installed the DOUBLE platinums (rebate running now from Autolite) and the engine smoothness now is 'shocking.' Both the anode and cathode is platinum coated now. It feels like a V12 now (Had a V12 Jag once). Yes, it is running that smooth and that is not an exaggeration. There is virtually no vibration or shake. It is rock steady. 30 years of motorcycling and I am an expert on engine vibration! Performance has also sharpened up. Longevity is promised to be greater than the single platinums.

Are the double platinums worth it? I will recommend them with a resounding YES.

P.S.: The managers at my local Auto stores are far from knowledgeable. They are all young guys with a pittance of experience so don't rely on them. They will push whatever has the greatest margin or the greatest inventory excess or incipient obsolescence. Do your own due dilligence.

So it feels like a V12 when you changed to double platinum plugs.....must be when your fuel mileage went to 30 mpg with your 4x4 4.0??