View Single Post

Old 08-07-2012, 06:41 AM
Learning to use the forums

Default Re: How To: Replace front brakes: Pads, Rotors, wheel bearings

Good write up. I just replaced my front wheel bearings/races/seals on a 2000 Ranger 2 W drive with 120 K a few days ago. Your write up would have helped me greatly. I did not change the rotors or brake pads however. My only issue with this procedure was not being able to follow the ford recommendation on last step on torquing the spindle nut. I did torque nut to 25 ft lbs and rotated the wheel 15/20 times to set bearings [first step] and backed off nut 1/2 turn, [second step], but did not have torque wrench for the 20 ft inches last step as ford recommends. I did notice when I took the spindle nut off originally I could remove it by hand, so on third step just tightened it as much as I could by hand. Have had no problems yet. Only other problem was while reassembling, had hard time getting the two bolt holes on the brake caliper to line up with holes on rotor assembly. Later, finally figured out that the attached rectangular washers on each hole had to be rotated a certain way to line up properly. I bought this ranger new 12 years ago, and as far as I know the bearings have never been lubricated. Some manuals suggest once a year, and others when you change brake pads or 30K. I was surprised to find them still lubed and not too badly worn. Mostly pitting on the spindle and on the races, but all bearing still good. But I wanted to replace them for peace of mind with 120 K.