View Single Post

Old 03-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Ford Ranger Driver

Default Re: transfer case fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by abq02ranger View Post
I found this thread very helpful for changing the transfer case fluid particularly the picture.

A few questions came to mind.
1) What does that round thing in the picture do? Any special care required when removing it, like marking a position?
2) How many quarts of ATF should I expect to put in?
3) Any suggestions on filling? Is a suction gun the way to go?

Thanks
1a) it's some sort of harmonic dampner. Explorers have them mounted on the rear axle too. No clue what it actually does but I assume Ford is flipper flopping because old model tcases(80's up to mid 90's) do not have that dampner thing. Yet mid 90's-current have 'em. Yet Marie's virgin '08 and alot of newer trucks didn't have it but the case had the threads for it. lol. I say it's good to go with and without it because ford thought so too.

1b) no worries on alignment or care. you can throw it off a cliff and bolt it back up and it'll be fine. lol. It only goes on one way because of that trapezoid bolt pattern.

2) 2 quarts or so

3) The way I do it, is using those normal quart bottles of ATF(almost all motor oil quarts are the same container), threading on a gear oil funnel cap(found on gear oil quarts), then fill it that way. There's PLENTY of room to do this and it's the way I do my transmission as well. I used to use a hand pump but that's crazy annoying and tiring when you have ample room to put the quart bottle up there.

good luck!