View Single Post

Old 07-23-2012, 05:58 PM
If it works,don't fix it!

Default Re: 99 2.5L Engine Cranks, but won't start after replacing broken timing belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by White99 View Post
Ok, I stepped away, tore it back down and started over..

Thanks for the input Rangerman, I put crank keyway at 12 O'Clock, dot on sprocket matches notch in cover, checked #1 cylinder is at top dead center, I can see top of piston when I look in #1 spark plug hole, used screw driver to double check . Aligned Oil pump pully timing marks (diamond to diamond), turned camshaft pulley to match timing marks (triangle to triangle).. Put belt back on starting with crank, to oil pump, to cam, keeping belt tight, released tensioner very carefully.. put crank pulley and crank bolt back on, turned two revolutions by hand and all of the marks lined up.. still no start.. turns over, sounds as if it's about to fire, but doesn't..

Thinking I may of been overlooking something, I checked to be sure I was getting spark. I changed all 4 plugs on the right side of the engine, checked compression in all 4 cylinders #1 (160psi), #2 (160psi), #3 (150psi), #4 (160psi).. all within acceptable pressure.

I checked fuel pump is engaging, checked valve on fuel rail (fuel is getting to the injectors.

So I have timing marks lined up (doesn't backfire or sputter when turning over, so pretty sure I'm not 180 out), I have half tank of gas and I'm getting fuel, and I have spark..

I'm at a real loss for where to go next.. I had a mechanic run ODBII code reader, didn"t find any codes that would cause a no start .. an he was at a loss for why it wouldn't start

If you were 180 out you wouldn't have any compression, so that isn't your problem.
I take it your crank position sensor is mounted correctly!!??
Have you sprayed some carb cleaner into the intake to see if she'll fire?? If you do, try to spray somewhere AFTER the MAF....not good to spray CARB cleaner on the MAF!!! Also you check spark with a old school timing light by hooking it up to any of the sparkplug wires and see if the light flashes when you crank it over...

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Torque it down till it breaks off, then back it off 1/4 turn.