Thread: egr Solenoid
View Single Post

Old 07-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Learning to use the forums

Default Re: egr Solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by macx View Post
I had missing and low power problems in 4th & 5th on the highway (93 2.3 5 spd).

I tried running the codes and it was hard to get a clear reading, or consistent from one try to another, but twice did get a code about the EGR solenoid and position sensor. After trying codes, it really started running bad. Would die when started cold, would idle really high for a short time when started warm, and would jerk in 2nd, 3rd & 4th like I was turning the key off and back on, altho the engine didn't die.

I cleaned the EGR, it had been stuck open a little. I also noticed no vacuum from the EGR solenoid.

After that unsatisfactory attempt at running codes, and it made it worse, I put on a used ecu so I could hopefully run the codes.

Without doing anything else, the engine now runs just fine. None of the above symptoms at all. Took it for a test drive of about 20 miles at varying speeds, then ran the codes when I got back. Good clear indication, all 3's (no problems).

So the ecu did it for me. I got mine used over ebay from an outfit in LA for about $50 if I remember. Picked one that had an exchange policy if it didn't work.
I found out that the 2.3 engines require a changing of the fuel pressure regulator, it dumps to much fuel in causing the cat to clog up resulting in a loss of power. I owned a 93 and it did the same thing and I bought a 97 and after 10,000 miles the converter clogged up. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and gained the power back