View Single Post

Old 03-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Scotty5x5

Default Re: Cash for Clunkers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddhoward View Post
It sounds like you at least used it for a good purpose. But the studies that I have heard showed that most people traded in a mid 90's vehicle that were in decent enough shape for a vehicle that got about 1 mpg better then the one they took in. We think the program was poorly executed in the fact that is what happened in most cases, and also it destroyed some perfectly good vehicles that could have been sent to a used car lot and sold to someone who could use it. These used vehicles have already made their largest carbon footprint or whatever you want to call it through the manufacturing process and their first years of life. And the other fact that I brought up earlier in this thread was that most off highway equipment doesn't have emissions equipment. So the emissions to crush these "clunkers" was probably greater than or equal to what the vehicles put out if they were on the road.

Plus on top of that yes it boosted the automotive industry in the country but not for very long, I think the stat said car sales were up 75% when the program was in place, don't quote me on that I am stating a number that is not a factual number I am simply stating that number to say for a fact vehicle sales were up during the program, but then sales fell right after that. So it really didn't help the automotive sales either. It maybe sold a few thousand cars more then if the the program hadn't been in place, but overall no one gained by it. Also my taxpayer money went to fund this program. I don't agree with this program. I would have been more on par with a program that fixed up older cars, put new emissions equipment and fixed the vehicles to as new running order, and if they were to far gone, THEN give them a cash incentive to go buy a new vehicle.
The trade in part was handled completely by the dealership, mostly there has been no follow up by the news but I heard one broadcast on the news that those who didn't follow the guidelines would have to eat the $4500 and a lot of dealerships were cheating. There wasn't a truck on the market that met the federal guidelines for mpg because they still suck on mileage.I had to sign a paper saying I would pay it if the Gov. defaulted for any reason, I'd love to know if anyone had to pay it back.