View Single Post

Old 07-16-2012, 10:24 PM
If it works,don't fix it!

Default Re: voltage and Electrical Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger134x4 View Post
I have a 2002 ford ranger 4.0 4x4 ext cab auto with 195xxx miles
Ok this is what’s happening:
The truck voltage keeps dropping. I put a volt meter on it and it reads 12.00V at the lowest with all the accessories running, but it doesn’t stall. The battery and the alternator are good.
I started pulling fuses with the voltmeter on it and I didn’t see any improvements in the voltage
The first sign of trouble was a 75A fusible link that blew out the one the lets the alt. charge the battery.
This is what stopped working:
1. Cruise control only works when it feels like it.
2. Now I put the truck in 4wd high or low and it stays in 2wd and the relay by the passenger door just clicks on and off and just keeps cycling on and off till I put it back in 2wd.
I hope someone can help me I can’t afford to take it to the shop. Thanks

With everything turned on your truck you should not see voltage less than 12.9 vdc and between 13 - 14.5 vdc in normal use depending on the batteries state of charge.
Now that said, I would remove the alternator and battery and have them bench tested. The Alternator uses the battery as a reference voltage so if the battery is borderline it will make the alternator
look bad when it isn't!!! The battery should be fully charged before it's load tested..

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Torque it down till it breaks off, then back it off 1/4 turn.