View Single Post

Old 07-01-2012, 09:02 AM
89 Ranger 2.9L 4x4 auto

Default Re: check engine light

We tried flashing the codes once and then when I got it actually checked with a tester it wasn't the code we thought we got---its tough doing it that way. It should be in your Chiltons how to do the flashing the codes w/ the codes listed--I think the same book covers your year as well as mine? The tester is expensive so some garages don't keep the one for older vehicles, but if you check around to as many dealers and auto repair shops that you can find, you should come across someone that has the one for the older trucks. My brother (garage owner) has one and his friend who owns a garage has one and they both test without charge...so you may find some garage that will test it for you free and then you can bow out of having them do the repairs if its too expensive.

----------

P.S. Auto shops dealing with restoring antiques should have one--I know of a few of these shops in and around my area...