View Single Post

Old 06-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Mr. MPG

Default Re: MPG Know all...maybe sticky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddhoward View Post
I won't fight you on it, just remember though, "to each their own".
I won't either, or at least i'll try not to haha. To each his own indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddhoward View Post

To the point on cold air...colder air is more dense, requiring more fuel, this is correct, but there is a certain temperature needed on everything to make it efficient. Your engine also has to be within a certain range, before the engine at what is called it's heat efficiency. So if the engine is running hot, the cold air can make a positive influence in mileage by bringing the vehicle down in temperature and causing the engine to run in that set temperature range. I have a ram air hood on my GMC, and it dropped the engine temp 15 degrees, and the intake temp as well. But I gained almost 2 mpg average just changing the hood and intake on the truck.
I guess the terms we use and outcomes we want are important to clarify.

Efficient. What does that mean?

does it mean a complete burn of the fuel within the combustion chamber?

does it mean a ratio close to 1 as far as the amount of energy going into the engine/the amount of energy we are getting out of the engine? (power in/power out)

Does it mean traveling further on a gallon of gas?

Maybe it refers to what Fireranger was talking about with the amount of money we spend on mods designed for increased MPG compared to the amount of fuel cost savings we actually incur.
and yeah, you wanna spend dat moneh on dat pusseh!