View Single Post

Old 08-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Ford Truck Driver

Default rear drum brake photos and questions

Hi everyone,
first of all I'd like to apologize for flooding this forum with questions over the past couple days and bleeding you dry of your knowledge but I really would like some insight as I do my drum brakes.

let me recap my progress,
I went to buy the parts at Northshore auto parts and realized I didn't know if I had 9inch or 10 inch drums. I went home to check and couldn't find a measuring tape so I measured using an extention arm of my ratchet set then went into the auto shop and measured the extention arm....However, I made a mistake (I just measured properly tonight) and I have 9inch instead of 10 inch. Oh well, gotta go back there anyway.

I think my drums are no good because there's bumpy ridges on the inside so I guess i gotta replace them. I figured out my wheel cylinder is 13/16 inlet size and I managed to unstick my brake line to remove the cylinder.

Tomorrow I'm going to go exchange the parts, get drums, and a drum hardware kit.

So questions,
What is the wings shaped part that's sitting on the piece above where the wheel cylinder sits in the first photo?

What is that part in the second photo?

the third photo is obviously parking brake something...what is it's function and how does it mount to the shoe?

thanks folks!

oh btw,
1986 2.3L Ranger 2WD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brakes1.jpg (41.8 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg brakes2.jpg (35.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg brakes3.jpg (48.4 KB, 130 views)