View Single Post

Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum

Default Re: engine temperature sensor location 2.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBucks10 View Post
Im not sure about reading it off a scanner. I don't own one so I just rely on the auto parts store guys to help me out. If your gauge is not working, I am 99.9% sure it is the sensor on the block. My gauge would always fluctuate up and down and mostly be spiked all the way hot. I changed that sensor and now it works perfectly. If you are changing the oil, while you have the filter out, you can see where this sensor is from underneath the truck. I think it would be harder to change it that way though because you have to have a bucket to catch all of the coolant that leaks out. The easiest way is to pull the drivers side wheel well out and get a long extension in there. The wheel well is only like 6 screws and a couple bolts. I did it all in under an hour.
Thanks, I was pretty sure that the gauge is effected by the sender unit down near the oil filter as well. But I was just curious and a bit nervous why my #2 sensor is disconnected. I was wondering if my PCM is even reading the coolant temp correctly. However, I do not have any CEL related to the engine coolant temp so I was wondering if sensor #1 is actually a temp sensor that the PO replaced... Did you see sensor #1 on your engine? Thanks again for the help!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmcclure View Post
My brother in law drove his 01 around with a laptop plugged into the scanner port - he had realtime engine data.
Hmm.. that sounds like a good idea. I will look into that.. thanks