View Single Post

Old 04-03-2012, 07:38 PM
no rice burners.

Default Re: shift knob removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak471000rr View Post
i have a 2002 5spd i have no idea if it is the same.... but i cut down the rubber to the plastic, but a vice grip on it, put one leg on the dash board and the other on the floor, cursed a lot, grunted and pulled and the thing finally came off...
HAHA! ill probably do the same thing...no punching urself in the jaw from losing grip on it? lol

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimmin View Post
Im pretty sure the 07 fx4 has a splined shifter arm. Its a bit of a pita but on the one I changed I had to destroy the factory handle because on the splined shaft they're press fit onto the shaft. A word of advice in hind sight is to take the shifter lever off the transmission (super easy just unscrew the cup holder/shifter boot cover and then just one bolt on the shifter arm) and then coax the handle off with some heat and pliers. Not too much, but a bit of heat does wonders. Then because its a hollow splined shaft I took a bolt with a long shoulder, and JB welded it into the shaft. To hold the factory boot up to the new knob and keep a clean look I drilled out a washer tight enough to sit at the base of the threads (but not slip over the splined shaft) It was a little scarey at first but once I got to the point of no return I rolled with it and it turned out awesome. Just make the decision as to whether its worth the time up front. Took me about two or three hours to make it look really nice but it was worth it.
alright ill have to go check it out, thanks for the advice. i dont have a welder tho