View Single Post

Old 12-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Michael S

Default Taking Muffler off '01 Ford Ranger; Stripped Nut!?

Hi, I have a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT and recently I wanted to take off my muffler to increase the sound on it. I have a friend who did it to his Ranger which is exactly the same as mine and it meets qualifications for legal purposes.

Anyway, I went under and saw that it was extremely rusted and I tried to get it out anyway thinking it would just come off with a little man power but I guess that's not the case. Anyway, I ended up stripping the nut on one side of the muffler (the other side i haven't touched). I tried putting rust remover on the area that was rusted and it removed the rust but the nut's still on pretty damn tight. I've read on forums that I can use a drill bit and drill through one side of the nut but if i mess up I'm screwed. Another forum I read said that I can beat on a 9/16 wrench and that should do it but I'm wondering what the consequences are. (The nut's a size 15mm) People say I could just use a hacksaw, but I want to be able to put it back on for if I want to sell it again. Please respond quick! I want to get this done asap