View Single Post

Old 03-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Learning to use the forums

Default Re: If you have an 01+ 4.0 with lean codes (PO171 and/or PO174) look here!

Thank you guys for this thread. I've been having a P0171 right bank lean code.
First I found the airbox was not latched. I latched it down, and the code came back in under 5 miles, no fix.
I installed a new air filter, cleaned the MAF sensor, and changed the oil/filter while I was at it. Code came back after 100 miles, no fix.
Next I changed the fuel filter, added Injector Cleaner to the gas, and used the security bits to remove the MAF sensor so I could clean it properly, Code came back after 120 miles, no fix.
Finally, I found this thread and sprayed some starter fluid in the area of this elbow, and the engine revved. The elbow looked fine, but I was able to pop it off by pulling, and prying the lip of it with a screwdriver on the engine side. It had a large rip in the bottom side of the hose.
The local parts stores didn't have the exact part, or any hose with an elbow of the right diameter, but O'Reilly had a stubby plastic vacuum elbow of the right diameter. Using this and a couple short sections of straight hose there was plenty of room to make a good repair.