Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > Engine Tech Forum > 8-Cylinder Tech
Forgot Password? Join Us!


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 06-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Master Distiller
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default 350 SBC In a Ranger.....

What do you guys think about me putting in a 350 Small Block Chevy in my ranger? The reason I ask, is because the 5.0 thing has been done to death, and I have easier access to this engine as well. I also wish to do something a little different as well. Summit Racing also has a kit for the ranger's counter part, the S10. The oil pan looks like a huge "L" and they have alot of header applications that can be used along with a complete kit that I'm interested in. It also includes a specially made radiator for this application. This is for economic purposes concerning the parts and engines.
__________________
Alcohol Producer's License: AFP-VA-20005

Sold! 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 2WD 5 Speed.
Bought: 2013 Chevy Siverado 1500 WT 5.3 Liter 6 Speed semi-auto trans. FFV 4 door extended cab.

www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
  #2  
Old 06-09-2011, 01:38 PM
0 to 60 sometimes
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 270
Default Re: 350 SBC In a Ranger.....

go for it, the 350 sbc is a darn good engine in my opinion. I had a 1989 suburban with one and it was always very reliable, my brother has one in his truck and never had any problems, and my dad has had several of them without problems. They don't get as good of mpg as the 5.0 though, the best I ever got on the high way was about 12 in my burban. My dad has got up to 16 or 17 in his f150. It would be a lot more unique than a ranger with a 5.0 as well.
__________________
1989 Super cab, 4X4, 221 v8, c4 transmission.
2" leveling kit in front and 2" add-a-leaf in rear
- 3" Body lift - 3" or 4" suspension lift - 36-12.50 r15 superswamper tsl's - Explorer OHC
1988 2wd, 2.0, 5 speed, shackle flip, night shaded tail lights, marker lights and front blinkers.
  #3  
Old 06-09-2011, 02:51 PM
5.0 ranger!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 551
Default Re: 350 SBC In a Ranger.....

I bought a parts truck from a guy and was told that it used to have a small block chevy in it. He had a 4" homemade body lift and still had to beat the firewall in a few places. I have a transmission crossmember with an adapter for the chevy trans and a drive shaft also if you are interested.
__________________
2000 2wd Ext cab with explorer 5.0

Mods so far:
Explorer ohc and lighted visors, Mustang dome light with LED's, In channel vent visors, Explorer sport trac guages, White faceplate for a/c controls, 8.8 ls rearend with 3:29 gears, 302 swap, coil spacers, 3" body lift, Westin step bars, A.R.E. topper with roof racks, 33x12.50x15 firestone destination a/t's, 8 hole american racing rims.

My build thread--> http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...ger-build.html
  #4  
Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Master Distiller
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: 350 SBC In a Ranger.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
go for it, the 350 sbc is a darn good engine in my opinion. I had a 1989 suburban with one and it was always very reliable, my brother has one in his truck and never had any problems, and my dad has had several of them without problems. They don't get as good of mpg as the 5.0 though, the best I ever got on the high way was about 12 in my burban. My dad has got up to 16 or 17 in his f150. It would be a lot more unique than a ranger with a 5.0 as well.
A kool response man. yeah I am going for it. I just hope that no "purist" comes in here and screws this idea all up. Plus I got some of the best news that I have not had in over a year and a half today. I've had a 350 SBC before and I installed it in an S10. Even though an exfriend of mine totaled it the engine fired right up, even after the accident which told me a story about that motor.



Quote:
Originally Posted by wyman00 View Post
I bought a parts truck from a guy and was told that it used to have a small block chevy in it. He had a 4" homemade body lift and still had to beat the firewall in a few places. I have a transmission crossmember with an adapter for the chevy trans and a drive shaft also if you are interested.
Oh I'm interested. I'd rather get something off a member from here than order it from a company which could take forever. Speedway Motors offers quite a few things to that concern this. So any help I can get is greatly appreciated. Plus to make things even sweeter, I got some of the best news I've had in over a year and a half today.
__________________
Alcohol Producer's License: AFP-VA-20005

Sold! 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 2WD 5 Speed.
Bought: 2013 Chevy Siverado 1500 WT 5.3 Liter 6 Speed semi-auto trans. FFV 4 door extended cab.

www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
  #5  
Old 06-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 809
Lightbulb Re: 350 SBC In a Ranger.....

What kinda blasfomy are you tryin to create here?????

Why would you take a perfectly good SBC & put it a Ranger?????

VVVVV

Now that I've got your ATTENTION, build the BASTARD!!!
__________________
ALL THROTTLE, NO BOTTLE!!!

Favorite quote:
Elvira on Stroker Ace: "I like mechanics, they know how to tinker with things for hours, and makem go fast!"

TOY: Green 94 Pro Street
  #6  
Old 06-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Master Distiller
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: 350 SBC In a Ranger.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAT Ranger View Post
What kinda blasfomy are you tryin to create here?????

Why would you take a perfectly good SBC & put it a Ranger?????

VVVVV

Now that I've got your ATTENTION, build the BASTARD!!!
L.O.L, ok now. I intend to do just that. Now that I got a $15.00 buck an hour job it will be done. Friggin purist, L.O.L.
__________________
Alcohol Producer's License: AFP-VA-20005

Sold! 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 2WD 5 Speed.
Bought: 2013 Chevy Siverado 1500 WT 5.3 Liter 6 Speed semi-auto trans. FFV 4 door extended cab.

www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
  #7  
Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 809
Talking Re: 350 SBC In a Ranger.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
L.O.L, ok now. I intend to do just that. Now that I got a $15.00 buck an hour job it will be done. Friggin purist, L.O.L.
=======================
Sig my man, sig VVVVVVV
__________________
ALL THROTTLE, NO BOTTLE!!!

Favorite quote:
Elvira on Stroker Ace: "I like mechanics, they know how to tinker with things for hours, and makem go fast!"

TOY: Green 94 Pro Street
  #8  
Old 06-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Turkey Hill Superstar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,045
Default Re: 350 SBC In a Ranger.....

im a purist, lol, but its your truck not mine, make it your own bro!
__________________
Dave K
2011 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport 4.0L "Dixie"
Rancho Suspension/Auto/3.73's/Pinstriped/Flowmaster SS Exhaust.

FUTURE: 3' Body Lift/32's/Windshield Visor/Brush Guard.
  #9  
Old 06-10-2011, 03:33 AM
5.0 ranger!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 551
Default Re: 350 SBC In a Ranger.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
Oh I'm interested. I'd rather get something off a member from here than order it from a company which could take forever. Speedway Motors offers quite a few things to that concern this. So any help I can get is greatly appreciated. Plus to make things even sweeter, I got some of the best news I've had in over a year and a half today.
Get with me through a pm when you are ready and I will send you some pics of the stuff and congrats on the good news. It's nice to get some every now and then!
__________________
2000 2wd Ext cab with explorer 5.0

Mods so far:
Explorer ohc and lighted visors, Mustang dome light with LED's, In channel vent visors, Explorer sport trac guages, White faceplate for a/c controls, 8.8 ls rearend with 3:29 gears, 302 swap, coil spacers, 3" body lift, Westin step bars, A.R.E. topper with roof racks, 33x12.50x15 firestone destination a/t's, 8 hole american racing rims.

My build thread--> http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...ger-build.html
  #10  
Old 06-10-2011, 03:57 AM
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,122
Default Re: 350 SBC In a Ranger.....

I've been considering doing this as well. My mom is cleaning out the rest of my dad's stuff (passed away 12 years ago) and there is a 383 stroker motor sitting in the garage. It may just find it's way into a ranger.
__________________
Krylon Fusion is for Amateurs.
  #11  
Old 06-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Master Distiller
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: 350 SBC In a Ranger.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAT Ranger View Post
=======================
Sig my man, sig VVVVVVV
I'd thought I would make a little fun, L.O.L.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FordDude1991 View Post
im a purist, lol, but its your truck not mine, make it your own bro!
Oh yeah. I'd thought I would throw some humor out there a bit. I intend to make it my own, cause that's what it's all about. Having fun while doing this, and sharing it with a few of my forum buddies. It also gives me the oppurtunity to share any and all info concerning this project with others that may want to attempt a go at it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wyman00 View Post
Get with me through a pm when you are ready and I will send you some pics of the stuff and congrats on the good news. It's nice to get some every now and then!
I might just do that because this won't be easy by any means. I hear you on the news bit. That's the best news that I've had in over a year and a half. Especially with all of the crap that has been going on as of late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drppdyllwrngr View Post
I've been considering doing this as well. My mom is cleaning out the rest of my dad's stuff (passed away 12 years ago) and there is a 383 stroker motor sitting in the garage. It may just find it's way into a ranger.
That's not bad idea right there. That's about the only thing that GM has that I would buy, crate engines. They have so many and they're super easy to work on and for sure easy to get parts for. That's really the only reason I'm looking at this engine to be honest. Plus it's something different than the usual run of the mill stuff as well. And best of all, I know I can rely on this engine for y daily driver. I also have a few plans concering the technical aspects of it as well.
__________________
Alcohol Producer's License: AFP-VA-20005

Sold! 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 2WD 5 Speed.
Bought: 2013 Chevy Siverado 1500 WT 5.3 Liter 6 Speed semi-auto trans. FFV 4 door extended cab.

www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com

Last edited by knightmare1015; 06-10-2011 at 10:54 AM.
  #12  
Old 06-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,122
Default Re: 350 SBC In a Ranger.....

Mine isn't a crate motor. was in a street rod 20 years ago. been sitting pretty much since.
__________________
Krylon Fusion is for Amateurs.
  #13  
Old 06-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Master Distiller
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: 350 SBC In a Ranger.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by drppdyllwrngr View Post
Mine isn't a crate motor. was in a street rod 20 years ago. been sitting pretty much since.
Yeah I know man. I was just trying to make a point really as to why I chose this engine.
__________________
Alcohol Producer's License: AFP-VA-20005

Sold! 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 2WD 5 Speed.
Bought: 2013 Chevy Siverado 1500 WT 5.3 Liter 6 Speed semi-auto trans. FFV 4 door extended cab.

www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
  #14  
Old 06-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Needs moar chrome....
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,319
Default Re: 350 SBC In a Ranger.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
What do you guys think about me putting in a 350 Small Block Chevy in my ranger?
The old ford makes it, chevy shakes it shit? Go for it, im looking forward to seeing the results
__________________
2001 Mazda B-3000 CabPlus "FX2 Off Road"| 3.0 | 5 SPD | 3 In Spindle Lift | Belltech Shackles | UltraGauge |Alpine Head / 10" Kicker Setup | Air Box Mod | Add-A-Leaf| Thrush Welded B4 Rear Wheel | Kobalt Box | Cobra 19 DX IV | Custom PA Speaker | Front/Rear Tow Receiver | 2X Aux Lights | Hideaway Strobes | Back Rack Safety Rack | Amber LED Strobes | Blue LED Strobes | 265/75/R16 General Grabber AT2's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
I like little girls...........
RIP Jason
  #15  
Old 06-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Master Distiller
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: 350 SBC In a Ranger.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01B3000 View Post
The old ford makes it, chevy shakes it shit? Go for it, im looking forward to seeing the results
Oh I am. I've already got someone to do it for me. Marion Automotive Group (GM dealership that actually knows what it's doing) has ASE master techs working there. They said they'd do it if I got the engine. The only thing I'll ask is if I can take some pictures while they do it. I have considered this route because of my mobility issues, and the lack of certain tools needed to perform this task.
__________________
Alcohol Producer's License: AFP-VA-20005

Sold! 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 2WD 5 Speed.
Bought: 2013 Chevy Siverado 1500 WT 5.3 Liter 6 Speed semi-auto trans. FFV 4 door extended cab.

www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Craigslist / eBay Find: 88 Ranger w/350 darksyde Trucks 2 04-15-2011 07:32 PM
$350 87 Ranger Project Kmartcivic Project Logs 8 03-20-2011 05:48 PM
SBC to ranger swap angliajim Other Engine Tech 6 03-06-2011 08:23 AM
My $350 87 Ranger xlt Kmartcivic Vehicle Snapshots 13 02-16-2011 09:39 PM



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.